Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

April 2nd, 2024 at 5:59:31 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Even if that is the case today if we have mass adoption it will be nowhere near. The thing with this statement, which has been made many times by many people, is it assumes everyone has a nice house in a nice subdivision with a garage they can pull right into. Meanwhile at work their employer has a nice private lot they can charge all day in. It is the people making it assuming the masses live like they do.

I'd equate it to the complaint of some people about behavior on internet forums when they first came out---that white people generally assumed everyone they talked to online was white. (I will admit I fit that profile.)

Reality differs. Lots of people live in apartments or houses with on-street parking. They work in places without parking, or use their car in their job. Too many things to really say, but I would put this number at 40% or so, not 95%.

The issue, though, is the times you need it. I know people who tow just every now ant then. Do they rent a vehicle to do that? Nope, makes no sense to do that. If "majority of people majority of the time" was a basis for things then people would just get a subcompact hatch and fold the rear seat flat since most car trips are just one or two people in the car carrying nothing more than groceries.

We do not buy cars based on that.

Most people I know also don't have gas stations in their yard, either. They all get along and fuel up their cars just fine and go about their day. With fast supercharging, fully charging an EV will take just a few mins longer than gassing up, then you'll be on your way.
April 2nd, 2024 at 6:08:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GenoDRPh
Most people I know also don't have gas stations in their yard, either. They all get along and fuel up their cars just fine and go about their day. With fast supercharging, fully charging an EV will take just a few mins longer than gassing up, then you'll be on your way.

So the claim goes. Even then gas stations will have to be several times the size they are now.

Thing is if EVs were so good we would not need laws forcing people to buy them.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2024 at 6:58:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Solar panels have become so cheap that some people are using them to line fences.

China's manufacturers are pumping out so many solar panels that the resulting global glut has caused prices to tank.

Solar panels are typically installed on rooftops, where they can capture the most sunlight — but there's so much excess supply that people in these two countries are now putting them on fences. This also saves on pricey labor and scaffolding costs required for roof installations, per the FT.

Fences covered in solar panels are also starting to take off in the UK, North America, and Australia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-has-flooded-the-market-with-so-many-solar-panels-that-people-are-using-them-as-garden-fencing/ar-BB1kZd2M?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=6b65f7048c9c4c029dd9d1dade8d9697&ei=22
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2024 at 9:00:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
just make sure you don't put your money in solar panel manufacturing
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 3rd, 2024 at 9:29:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
just make sure you don't put your money in solar panel manufacturing

There's a new kind, I saw someone using online, that probably aren't as cheap. They are designed to work in the shade because they distribute the light across more of the panel. So your overall efficiency is increased on overcast days, or whenever shade occurs over the panel for whatever reason.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2024 at 11:21:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Nearly half of China's major cities are sinking because of water extraction and the increasing weight of their rapid expansion, researchers say.
Some cities are subsiding rapidly, with one in six exceeding 10mm per year.
China's rapid urbanisation in recent decades means far more water is now being drawn up to meet people's needs, scientists say.
In coastal cities, this subsidence threatens millions of people with flooding as sea levels rise.
April 18th, 2024 at 11:22:26 AM permalink
rxwine
10mm is not much unless your head is only 11mm above water.
April 20th, 2024 at 7:35:36 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
We already aren't going to meet power demand for electric vehicles and now we find out how much power AI chat is using.

"Energy companies increasingly cite AI power consumption as a leading contributor to new demand. AES, a Virginia-based utility, recently told investors that data centers could comprise up to 7.5% of total U.S. electricity consumption by 2030, citing data from Boston Consulting"
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 20th, 2024 at 8:30:32 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
We already aren't going to meet power demand for electric vehicles and now we find out how much power AI chat is using.

"Energy companies increasingly cite AI power consumption as a leading contributor to new demand. AES, a Virginia-based utility, recently told investors that data centers could comprise up to 7.5% of total U.S. electricity consumption by 2030, citing data from Boston Consulting"

Likely prices will go up for Ai if it becomes necessary to prioritize usage. They already limit free and pirority usage to paying customers. Free is leftovers even now.
April 20th, 2024 at 11:06:46 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman

So whats the solution? You graduated college with first class honors even though you slept through lots of your lectures, so surely you are smart enough to come up with one or more solutions to this daunting dilema.