5 votes (23.8%)
2 votes (9.52%)
2 votes (9.52%)

21 members have voted

November 1st, 2012 at 10:19:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
We are all equal in the eyes of God and we shouldn't try to say whose life is more important. .

Which is more morally justified? Rescuing a hundred frozen embryos, or saving a few infants of 1 year of age from a raging fire. You don't have time to do both.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 1st, 2012 at 10:25:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine
Which is more morally justified? Rescuing a hundred frozen embryos, or saving a few infants of 1 year of age from a raging fire. You don't have time to do both.

I think you have the Father in the corner with that on. Your move, Padre.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 1st, 2012 at 11:19:46 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

Oh man that is a tough one. My immediate answer is to run towards the few babies who are able to cry out for help and save them, I can see and hear them. However, a hundred embryos who cannot cry out or be seen is still 100 human lives and just because they are not yet a year old yet does not mean they have any less value than the older babies.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 1st, 2012 at 1:16:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Oh man that is a tough one. My immediate answer is to run towards the few babies who are able to cry out for help and save them, I can see and hear them. However, a hundred embryos who cannot cry out or be seen is still 100 human lives and just because they are not yet a year old yet does not mean they have any less value than the older babies.

Thanks for giving a straight answer. Could we say that obvious human life outweights possible/potential human life in value? In other words, could we compare killing an embryo to a hunter shooting at a shaking bush, which is probably caused by a deer, but has a chance of being another hunter.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 1st, 2012 at 1:18:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If I had to choose between saving my pet and someone else's frozen embryo, I'd choose my pet.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 1st, 2012 at 6:26:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Wizard
Thanks for giving a straight answer. Could we say that obvious human life outweights possible/potential human life in value? In other words, could we compare killing an embryo to a hunter shooting at a shaking bush, which is probably caused by a deer, but has a chance of being another hunter.

These are all good questions. I think the problem is that an embryo isn't really possible or potential human life. It has a complete and unrepeatable genetic code and there is no other possibility for it to become other than another human being just like you or me. The only analogy I can come up with is that killing an embryo is like killing a fellow hunter who is disguised as a deer. You might not recognize it as your buddy by the outward appearance but it is your friend and you are not killing a possible human being but a human being in disguise.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 1st, 2012 at 6:41:57 PM permalink
Nareed
It has a complete and unrepeatable genetic code and there is no other possibility for it to become other than another human being just like you or me.

Ah, but there is. An embryo can fail to implant itself int he uterus. This happens naturally all the time. It can also go through a miscarriage, again by natural means, even after it successfully gets a perch in the uterus.

So, by your own admission god's design would seem to include abortifacients and abortions.

None of that is in any way relevant. What's relevant is that the embryo by itself cannot remain alive. Put it in an environment analogous to a uterus, and it will starve shortly. It cannot feed except through the placenta and umbilical cord. That is, by making use of a woman's body. It cannot survive on its own, or even breathe, because it is not a person but a potential person.
November 1st, 2012 at 6:45:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think we already covered the fact that because you cannot survive on your own and you need the help of another to live does not mean you are any less of a person.
November 1st, 2012 at 7:03:04 PM permalink
Nareed
I think we already covered the fact that because you cannot survive on your own and you need the help of another to live does not mean you are any less of a person.

Don't twist words. Not the help. The body.

None of us can survive, for long, without the help, or the cooperation if you'd rather, of literally thousands of people. Simply getting food to your plate requires farmers, ranchers, miners, factory workers, oil men, refinery workers, etc etc etc. But none of us needs someone else's body in order to survive. A fetus does. And all of us are actual persons. A fetus is not.
November 2nd, 2012 at 5:56:42 AM permalink
DocZZZ
Threads: 0

As the Wizard mentioned, this question makes it clear what people really think about an embryo.

I would even ask the question---- what would you save , your house and it's belongings, or that embryo?
I'd like to put a lie detector on anyone who goes for the random embryo......
Page 4 of 11<1234567>Last »