2 votes (9.52%)
2 votes (9.52%)

21 members have voted

June 28th, 2019 at 7:51:25 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: petroglyph
Quote: reno
...Shall we imprison pregnant women for not wearing a seatbelt? (Jennifer Jorgenson spent 3 years in prison for the crime of not wearing a seatbelt.)
The way I read the link, "In Jorgensen’s case, the jury ruled she was negligent for not wearing her seatbelt. But the conviction was overturned"

Did she still have to spend 3 years in prison ?

She was convicted for 9 years. Was released after 3 years.
June 28th, 2019 at 7:57:52 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: rxwine
Quote: reno
Basically Alabama wants to imprison the pregnant woman for starting an argument, but not imprison the killer who fired the gun during the argument.

I think you missed something on this one, at least the way I read it "Jones who initiated and pressed the fight, which ultimately caused Jemison to defend herself and unfortunately caused the death of the baby."

It sounds to me like a physical altercation. They were blows or some sort of attack going on initiated and pursued by the pregnant woman. She may have been pregnant but she was attacking the other woman who was not interested in a fight.

She wouldn't have been guilty just for starting an argument. She was actively pursuing an attack, the way I read it.

I couldn't find any media descriptions that there was a fistfight before the gun was drawn, though you might be right, it might have been violent before the gun was drawn. In any event, if I get punched by a pregnant woman, it's nice to know I'm allowed to fire a gun at her stomach and not go to jail.

Also, maybe getting shot in the stomach is punishment enough, and imprisonment is just a waste of taxpayer money.
Page 11 of 11« First<891011