Spanish Word of the Day

December 28th, 2013 at 9:44:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 28-12-13
Palabra: Trabajo colectivo y responsabilidad

As we celebrate Kwanzaa, the third principle is "Collective Work and Responsibility." I may not know how to say that in Spanish, but in Swahili it is "Ujima."

Since I obviously didn't understand what self-determination was, let's turn to Wikipedia for help with today's principle. It says Ujima means, "To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers' and sisters' problems our problems, and to solve them together."

Ejemplo time.

El Sr. Howell esta un republicano entonces no cree en trabajo colectivo y responsabilidad. = Mr. Howell is a Republican so don't believe in collective work and responsibility.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 28th, 2013 at 12:16:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
El Sr. Howell esta un republicano = Mr. Howell is a Republican

Sr. Howell es un republicano ...
Sr. Howell está muerta ...

Professions, party affiliations, etc use the verb "ser", while "being dead" uses the verb "estar". It is one of the problems with the "temporary/permanent" explanation of the verbs given in almost every Spanish class.

In a sense "being Republican" is essential to his person, while "being dead" is a state that he is in.

I know that Nareed finds the accent annoying to type, but está and esta are two different words. She just differentiates by context.
December 28th, 2013 at 12:47:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course, but it makes no sense to me. There is a chance Mr. Howell could change parties. However, once you're dead, you're dead.
December 28th, 2013 at 5:31:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course, but it makes no sense to me. There is a chance Mr. Howell could change parties. However, once you're dead, you're dead.

Unfortunately Paco is right.

EL Sr. Howell ES un Republicano, or ES Republicano, means "Mr. Howell IS A Republican."

EL Sr. Howell ESTÁ UN Republicano doesn't really carry meaning. It would be like saying "Mr. Howell Republican being is," mroe or less.

BTW, Paco, the proper gender here is male, so "EL Sr. Howell está muertO."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 28th, 2013 at 9:40:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin

That is the problem with teaching that one verb is "to be" for permanent situations, and one verb is "to be" for temporary situations. It is not the actual etymology.

One verb means a state. Death is a state of being. So is time and position. It is why we use the words station and status. Now it just so happens that most of these things are also temporary.

The other verb refers to something's "essence". Being a Republican or a policeman or a professor can be changed, but right now they are essential to a description of that particular person. Many of these things are permanent.

Of course some adjectives change meaning with different verbs. They always warn you about "calor" since Gringos are apt to say "Yo es muy calor". Which implies that you are "essentially" hot. The implication is you are turned on, or a prosititute.
December 29th, 2013 at 2:38:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 29-12-13
Palabra: Economía cooperativa

The fifth principle of Kwanzaa is Cooperative Economics. In trying to translate this into Spanish I realized the words for economy and economics are the same -- economía. I would think this might lead to confusion in some situations. Like whether you're taking about the economy right now or economics in general. For example, how would one say:

I study economics.
The economy of Tijuana is prosperous.

Ejemplo time.

Cuba es un modelo de economía cooperativa. = Cuba is a model of cooperative economics.

Hopefully after Paco's lecture on ser y estar, the es above is right, but knowing me, probably not.
December 29th, 2013 at 4:10:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Cuba is a model of cooperative economics.
Cuba = a model of cooperative economics.

Correct! When "to be" is a simple linking verb showing equality you use "ser".
December 29th, 2013 at 5:37:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Cuba es un modelo de economía cooperativa. = Cuba is a model of cooperative economics.

Hopefully after Paco's lecture on ser y estar, the es above is right, but knowing me, probably not.

Actually that's perfect. But it kind of discredits this whole Kwanza thing (kind of??)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 29th, 2013 at 6:15:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
In trying to translate this into Spanish I realized the words for economy and economics are the same -- economía. I would think this might lead to confusion in some situations. Like whether you're taking about the economy right now or economics in general. For example, how would one say:

I study economics.
The economy of Tijuana is prosperous.

If you look at the evolution of the word in English (see below), you see changes in the way the word was used. By context in English you know if the word "economy" is being used as a noun or an adjective.

economy (n.) 1530s, "household management,"
economy (adj.) (1821) at first meant simply "cheaper", then "bigger and thus cheaper per unit or amount" (1950)
economics (n.) 1580s, "art of managing a household". Meaning "science of wealth" is from 1792.
economic (adj.) 1590s, "pertaining to management of a household," Meaning "relating to the science of economics" is from 1835 and now is the main sense...
economical retaining the older one of "characterized by thrift."
economist (n.) 1580s, "household manager,"
December 29th, 2013 at 8:59:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 30-12-13
Palabra: propósito

Today is the fifth day in our celebration of Kwanzaa. The 5th principle is "purpose." What purpose?, you might ask. According to Wikipedia purpose means, "To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness."

Karl Marx couldn't have said it better.

Ejemplo time.

La Sra. Howell no tiene ningún propósito en este isla. = Mrs. Howell has no purpose on this island.