Spanish Word of the Day

December 29th, 2013 at 9:24:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2013 at 6:18:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Karl Marx couldn't have said it better.

Becasue no country has succeeded as well as Soviet Russia, Mao's China, North Korea and Cuba.

Quote:
La Sra. Howell no tiene ningún propósito en este isla. = Mrs. Howell has no purpose on this island.

"estA"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 30th, 2013 at 10:43:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 31-12-13
Palabra: creatividad

The sixth principle of Kwanzaa is creativity. Wikipedia elaborates as follows, "To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it." I'm not sure what that has to do with creativity, but what do I know?

This is another easy cognate so the advanced readers can concentrate on making the community a better place today.

Ejemplo time.

Mary Ann tiene algunas ideas creativas para hacer la isla un lugar mejor. = Mary Ann has some creative ideas to make the island a better place.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 31st, 2013 at 2:26:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fowler
Roughly, the word in -ity usually means the quality of being what the adjective describes, or concretely an instance of the quality, or collectively all the instances; & the word in -ism means the disposition, or collectively all those who feel it.

In Spanish -idad is a form of -dad. The bare form -dad only comes after the letters l or n. Adjectives ending in -io and two syllable adjectives take the form -edad. Adjective ending in -ble take the form -bilidad. Adjectives with three or more syllables take the -idad form.

It's a good drill to try and think of several examples of each variation.
December 31st, 2013 at 6:54:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Mary Ann tiene algunas ideas creativas para hacer la isla un lugar mejor. = Mary Ann has some creative ideas to make the island a better place.

"...para hacer DE la isla un mejor lugar."

You know, what frustrates me is that sometimes you're just right, sometimes you make small and thoroughly understandable errors like the one above, and sometimes it seems you've never even heard of Spanish at all.
December 31st, 2013 at 5:46:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Mary Ann tiene algunas ideas creativas para hacer la isla un lugar mejor
"...para hacer DE la isla un mejor lugar."

It's confusing as to when you say "mejor lugar" or "lugar mejor"
December 31st, 2013 at 9:51:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 1-1-14
Palabra: Fe

¡Feliz nuevo año todos!

However, we still have one more day of Kwanzaa to celebrate. The seventh and final principle of Kwanzaa is faith. Looking to Wikipedia for elaboration, it says, "To believe with all our hearts in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle."

Hmm. I think total faith in anything is dangerous. A healthy amount of skepticism is a good thing, as I have total faith Martha Stewart would say.

Ejemplo time.

Tengo fe que nosotros rescataremos un día. = I have faith we will be rescued one day.
January 1st, 2014 at 4:44:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Tengo fe que nosotros rescataremos un día. = I have faith we will be rescued one day.

See, this is what I meant in my last comment. You actually said "I have faith we will rescue a day." Besides, the "nosotros" is redundant.

The right translation is: Tengo fé que SEREMOS RESCATADOS ALGÚN día."
January 1st, 2014 at 8:23:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
You actually said "I have faith we will rescue a day."

Oops. I'll give you ten push ups for that one.

Quote:

Why the accent? Also, are you supposed to put an accents on these words: quién, más, y dónde?
January 1st, 2014 at 11:32:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Why the accent?

In Portuguese the word is spelled . In Spanish fé is a very common misspelling of fe.