Spanish Word of the Day

November 3rd, 2013 at 8:15:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks, Paco, for the above lesson on insects.

Fecha: 3-11-13
Palabra: Serenar

Today's SWD means to calm down.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word serene.

For extra credit, compare and contrast serenar y calmar.

Ejemplo time.

¡Serena, Gilligan, o te pegaré con mi gorra! = Calm down, Gilligan, or I will hit you with my cap!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 4th, 2013 at 3:57:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Yes, English "serene", and "serenade" are both cognates of Spanish "serenar" as they all come from the same Latin word. Certainly the English verb "to calm" and Spanish verb "calmar" are cognates.

There is an English word "cauma" used in medicine which means "heat" as in a fever. It comes from a Latin word with the same spelling which refers to mid-day heat. It may be the source of the words "calm" and "calmar".

I think the verb "cálmate" is more appropriate in your sentence (imperative with clitic "te")

From googling it seems that "serenos" is often used to describe police actions designed to calm down a crowd.
November 4th, 2013 at 2:03:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 4-11-13
Palabra: Divagar

Today's SWD means to ramble on/digress.

The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word divide. Perhaps to divagar is to divide the conversation into multiple topics. I also wonder where we get the word divine.

Ejemplo time.

Sr. Howell divaga por el dinero de nuevo. = Mr. Howell is rambling on about money again.
November 4th, 2013 at 6:34:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
English "to divide" would go with Spanish "dividir".

Spanish "divagar" is a synonym of "vagar" which is a cognate with English "vagabond".

In this case the prefix di- means "twice as much"
November 4th, 2013 at 7:45:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 5-11-13
Palabra: Titubear

Today's SWD means to hesitate.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast titubear y vacilar.

Ejemplo time.

El profesor titubeó antes de le pedió a Gilligan para ayuda. = The professor hesitated before asking Gilligan for help.
November 4th, 2013 at 8:09:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Nareed may have to weigh in here, but in some places it sounds like "titubear" primarily means "to stutter" and "to hesitate" is a secondary meaning.

The primary meaning of "vacilar" is "to hesitate". I think it may mean the same as "vacillate". It also has colloquial meaning of "to spy on".

Google Translate offers up "titubear" and "vacilar" and "dudar" (to doubt) as alternatives.
November 5th, 2013 at 7:06:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 6-11-13
Palabra: Rabo

Today's SWD means tail.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast rabo y cola.

Ejemplo time.

Mary Ann hacerá sopa rabo de buey para cena. = Mary Ann will make ox tail soup for dinner.
November 5th, 2013 at 8:36:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast rabo y cola.

It seems as if "rabo" is used exclusively for food as in ox-tail, but "cola" is for living animals and coat tails.

The word "cola" comes from the Latin word "coda" that we primarily use in English for the end part of music. T
he word "rabo" comes from the Latin word for turnip.
November 5th, 2013 at 9:28:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
It seems as if "rabo" is used exclusively for food as in ox-tail, but "cola" is for living animals and coat tails.

La telaraña de Carlota uses rabo to refer to Wilbur's tail.
November 6th, 2013 at 3:35:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
La telaraña de Carlota uses rabo to refer to Wilbur's tail.

I was sort of guessing by photos that come up from a Google search

The primary DRAE definitions are identical except for gender
cola (Del lat. vulg. coda, y este del lat. cauda). f. Extremidad posterior del cuerpo y de la columna vertebral de algunos animales.
rabo (Del lat. rapum, nabo). m. cola (‖ extremidad de la columna vertebral de algunos animales). Rabo de zorra

The word "rabo" has a lot of colloquial meanings including vulgar ones.

The suffix "-less" in English is from an Old English and means "devoid of". The word "colales" is translated as thong or G-string. I took "-les" as the same meaning "-less", but I could be wrong. The word is not in any dictionary, but seems to be commonly used in advertisements.