2 votes (12.5%)
10 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (6.25%)

16 members have voted

May 4th, 2018 at 11:36:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Is it public what type of residuals the cast get from reruns of the show?

All I know is they decline over time.
Seinfeld gets a fraction of what he
was getting 10 years ago. Finding
actual dollar amounts is almost
impossible, they hold those numbers
close to the vest.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2018 at 1:11:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
Well, the 11-year-old version of that.
Huh? I didn't think either Young Sheldon OR Big Bang Theory has been on for so many years.
Oh well, I guess I'll not bother with either show then.
May 4th, 2018 at 6:44:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
If anyone would know, it's Paco.

It's as closely held a secret as it is possible to hold secrets that the public is intensely interested in.

Publishing huge salaries is very effective promotion. Writers tend to write about series where someone makes an eye popping salary.

10. Pauley Perrette ($8.5 million) Abby Sciuto on "NCIS."
9. Robin Wright ($9 million) Netflix series "House of Cards," Wright has become one of the top female earners in television.
8. Priyanka Chopra ($10 million) "Quantico,"
7. Kerry Washington ($11 million) "Scandal,"
6. Julie Bowen ($12 million) "Modern Family"
5. Mariska Hargitay ($12.5 million) "Law & Order: SVU"
4. Ellen Pompeo ($13 million) "Grey's Anatomy,"
3. Mindy Kaling ($13 million) "The Mindy Project"
2. Kaley Cuoco ($26 million) "The Big Bang Theory."
1. Sofia Vergara ($41.5 million) "Modern Family,"

But seven actors in TBBT earning over $100 million a year when the show couldn't possibly make that much advertising revenue is not what determines the long term profitability It's a known fact that TBBT will return billions of dollars over a decades of syndication. Every 1% you give away to an actor is eventually going to mean more in the long run than salaries. Seinfeld ended up becoming the richest comedian in history because the studio had no idea what it was giving away in early years.

That's why Jerry Seinfeld is worth $900 million and Kaley Cuoco is worth $45 million. It's not just that he is twice her age, because I doubt very much that Kaley will be worth anywhere near $900 million when she is in her sixties.
May 4th, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
It's as closely held a secret as it is possible to hold secrets that the public is intensely interested in..

That's almost word for word what I said.
Larry David says the question he's most
asked about is Seinfeld residuals and
it's the question he has the least number
of answers for. It's in their contracts, they
cannot discuss details or they will lose
the money altogether. Lawyers.

For decades the was a rumor that Dawn
Wells was the only actor on Gilligans
Island who was smart enough to have
residuals written into her contract. She
set the record straight a few years ago
that it was a lie, she got nothing because
they existed for no actor at that time.
Sherwood Schwartz, the producer, got
$90 mil, however

Quote: Pacomartin
That's why Jerry Seinfeld is worth $900 million and Kaley Cuoco is worth $45 million. It's not just that he is twice her age, because I doubt very much that Kaley will be worth anywhere near $900 million when she is in her sixties.

Also, Seinfeld was star, creator, executive producer,
and head writer of his show. He gets a separate
residual for each of those titles. Percentage wise
he gets 4 to 5 times more than one star of TBBT
gets. That's why he's worth so much. Also, his
show came on 30 years ago and is still shown
hundreds of times a day around the world. That
will never be true of TBBT.

I saw a ep of Seinfeld from 25 years ago and was
amazed at the timelessness of it, could have been
made last week. The only other show with those kind
of legs is I Love Lucy. That show is also timeless
and is shown every day around the world.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2018 at 10:59:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
That's almost word for word what I said.

Well it makes sense. If you think about the stars of TBBT made $28 million apiece in salary for the first 7 years. Plus Kaley and Johnny were all making huge amounts of money compared to normal teenagers. Then came three years where they were paid $70 million apiece for 70 episodes, and then $900K per episode for the last year. Plus they all have bit parts in movies. Supposedly Kaley is worth $45 million and Johnny is worth $50 million.

You would always think that people would have higher net worth since you could live decently well on interest for that kind of money. But without any real ownership positions, they may never make that kind of money again.

Though much older, Chuck Lorre (age 65) is twice divorced and has four children. He has a net worth of about $800 million. Clearly there is massive amounts of money in these shows.

Friends reportedly grosses $1 billion a year in syndication revenue. Just 2% of that syndication money (reportedly the stars share) is still significant.
May 10th, 2018 at 4:12:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Tonight is the big wedding episode of TBBT. I'm looking forward to an invigorating discussion about it here afterward.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 10th, 2018 at 5:09:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Tonight is the big wedding episode of TBBT. I'm looking forward to an invigorating discussion about it here afterward.

Sheldon is finally marrying the
Indian guy? Who didn't see that
coming..
May 10th, 2018 at 9:28:34 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
We got to see adult Missy again! Well, pregnant (perhaps in real life?). ....lucky guy....
May 11th, 2018 at 5:26:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: zippyboy
We got to see adult Missy again! Well, pregnant (perhaps in real life?). ....lucky guy....

I would bet the actress was pregnant in real life. The pregnancy looked too realistic to be fake. There was also no reason to drop her pregnancy into the story other than the actress being at least six months along.

For those who didn't see it, Amy's father was played by Teller, the magician. He actually says something too.

The part about the wedding breaking down into Star Wars trivia was something I could relate to.

Overall, it had its moments but was a bit anti-climactic after all the buildup.

On a related note, on Young Sheldon it was revealed that Sheldon eventually has kids.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 11th, 2018 at 5:35:41 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think they're incredibly constrained by only having 19-21 programming minutes per show. It could easily have been a full hour (46 or so minutes) and been much better, especially with that cast and guest stars. I wanted more from Amy's parents, Wil/Mark, the 2 from the comic store, Sheldon's mom and sister, and I kept waiting for some clueless cleaning person to come wipe the mirror of lipstick.

I think the episode was too crammed to be as rewarding as it promised to be. Got enough of Georgie in the penultimate episode, and Kripke as the wedding singer. Would have enjoyed a scene at the reception for some of what was missing.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has