3 votes (18.75%)
2 votes (12.5%)
10 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (6.25%)

16 members have voted

March 12th, 2014 at 6:39:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Big Bang Theory worked it's way up from 5th, to 4th, to 2nd, to 1st most popular sitcom on broadcast TV. It got an unprecedented three year renewal while the show was sold into syndication. The show remained the most popular sitcom, became one of the highest rated shows on TV of all type, and now commands more advertising money than any other scripted show, and functions as a valuable lead in for other successful shows.

As expected the show was renewed for three more years. The results of the salary negotiation may not be concluded, but expectations are the principals may get a $million per episode with long term profit sharing.

At the end of 10 years there should be 228 episodes. The two longest lasting sitcoms in TV history have considerably more episodes.
*My Three Sons ran 12 years and 380 episodes
*The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet ran 14 years and 425 episodes

How do you think the show will hold up for another three years? IMHO, some of the recent episodes seem more cartoonish than the original years.
March 12th, 2014 at 6:56:44 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
No, I think in most ways it's jumped the shark, though it remains my favorite sitcom. The writing is still good, but they've exploited nearly everything they can (IMO) on nerd humor. It would be wise if they did some of the following:

Bring back Leslie Winkel. Put her with Krupke if they have to.
Break up Leonard and Penny. Again. For good.
Expand on Amy Farrah Fowler.
Give Bernadette a job somewhere else, with Howard socializing more with Raj and the guys again.
Bring in a really interesting Department Chair to fight with Sheldon on an ongoing basis.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 12th, 2014 at 7:26:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
Expand on Amy Farrah Fowler.
Give Bernadette a job somewhere else, with Howard socializing more with Raj and the guys again.

Which brings up the spin-off. A series this popular always results in a spin-off. The only question is will it be after TBBT is over, or during the next three years. Who will go to the spin-off?
March 12th, 2014 at 7:29:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
oh man I thought this thread was about something totally different.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 12th, 2014 at 7:31:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I think within two years someone will get pregnant and it won't be Bernadette. Raj will probbaly get married before Leonard and Penny. Amy will die a virgin ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 12th, 2014 at 7:37:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
You mean the theory originally formulated by the Belgian Catholic priest Georges Lemaître in 1927?
March 12th, 2014 at 7:42:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Pacomartin
You mean the theory originally formulated by the Belgian Catholic priest Georges Lemaître in 1927?

Yep, I think it is going to be renewed for another 10+ years at least.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 13th, 2014 at 3:04:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't watch it but that is big for a show so old. After 7 years most shows tend to decline and the actors must get bored. With three years it lets the writers develop some longer arcs so maybe it will stay fresh.
The President is a fink.
March 13th, 2014 at 3:27:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
No, I think in most ways it's jumped the shark, though it remains my favorite sitcom.

It's still unusual for a SITCOM to keep rising through the ranks year after year while it's competition is cancelled. Kaley Cuoco has said publicly that she could play Penny in her sleep now, although she is going to be very wealthy by the age of 30.

Viewership of sitcoms (0,000)
First year for TBBT
13,680 TWO AND A HALF MEN
11,820 SAMANTHA WHO?
10,890 RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
10,410 OLD CHRISTINE
8,310 BIG BANG THEORY, THE
8,210 HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
8,090 THE OFFICE

Second year for TBBT
14,950 TWO AND A HALF MEN
11,370 RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
10,210 SURVIVING SUBURBIA
9,980 BIG BANG THEORY, THE
9,420 HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
9,170THE OFFICE
8,900 SAMANTHA WHO?
7,270 OLD CHRISTINE

Third year for TBBT
14,625 TWO AND A HALF MEN
14,224 BIG BANG THEORY, THE
9,488 MODERN FAMILY
8,602 HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
8,479 RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
6,691 OLD CHRISTINE

Fourth year for TBBT
13,212 BIG BANG THEORY, THE
12,718 TWO AND A HALF MEN
11,759 MODERN FAMILY

15,820 Fifth year for TBBT
18,680 Sixth year for TBBT
up 4% Seventh year for TBBT (partial season)
March 13th, 2014 at 7:45:58 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
We didn't start watching BBT until the end of Season 3. Heck I bought a Sheldon talking bobblehead last night in Times Square.

I do like alot of this year's episodes while some were just ok. Sheldon's relationship with Amy is moving forward. Leonard and Penny are moving forward as well.
It will be interesting to see what Lorre does with the show, given that he's bound by the characters. Lorre's other famous creation, 2.5 Men, has gone completely off the deep end, there was room to build debauchery, homosexuality, and drug use into the day-to-day lives of its characters. It's become unwatchable to my conservative wife, and somewhat distasteful for me.

Lorre had the chance to do that with Wolowitz and make him bawdy but instead by some cruel joke married him off first. That leaves the "single life" to Raj. They had the veternarian give him his phone number on Valentine's day but weirdly nothing came of that. They concentrated this year on giving Sheldon lots of humanity and feelings.

Given that they now have three more seasons left I see (READ, completely BS a guess) following plot builds and twists:

- Amy leaves Sheldon for a hot encounter with a guy set up by Wil Wheaton. They reconcile in the final season while the audience eats up Sheldon dealing with a lack of love in his life.
- Bernadette gets pregnant and has a child. (It can't be Penny as the child has to be a side character, featured only as gags to support Sheldon or featured as part of Bernadette's and Wolowitz' life).
- Leonard and Penny get married and live together across the hallway. Raj moves in with Sheldon. Raj gains more confidence in himself and Sheldon and him get into many arguments about the "roommate agreement".
- Raj finds love in the final season.

No more major characters (besides Raj's love) are introduced.

I think Sheldon calls it quits after 10 years and does Broadway. Speaking of Broadway, two nights ago, I saw Sci-Fi legends (and British royalty) Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in Waiting for Godot. Patrick Stewart can act! Difficult subject material, however.
Page 1 of 411234>Last »