Original Sin?

November 28th, 2014 at 6:02:22 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I don't know Bob I kind of get giddy too when I think about how much progress is being made towards bringing Christian denominations together.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 28th, 2014 at 10:36:13 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
I don't know Bob I kind of get giddy too when I think about how much progress is being made towards bringing Christian denominations together.[/q
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 28th, 2014 at 11:22:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
It reminds me, which of the commandments do you believe God was ambiguous about?

Thou shall not own or keep slaves. No, wait,
that wasn't important enough to be a
commandment. God didn't care about slaves,
slavery is an accepted practice in the Bible.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2014 at 12:01:27 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
November 28th, 2014 at 12:22:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: aceofspades
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 28th, 2014 at 12:29:38 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: petroglyph

Save me some mileage will ya? I perused the link, seemed like a lot more rules. The diet is pretty good. Which two are from God?

The first two (actually heard by the peeps of the day):

To know that G-d exists (Ex. 20:2; Deut. 5:6)
Not to entertain the idea that there is any god but the Eternal (Ex. 20:3)

Of course, Jesus stated that the two greatest commandments were:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
November 28th, 2014 at 1:12:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Didn't know Mormons don't believe in original sin.

Quote:
"¢º There is no original sin. The Articles of Faith 2 says, ¡°We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam¡¯s transgression.¡± This is in contrast to Romans 5, which says death came to all through one man¡¯s sin. This raises the troubling question for Mormons of why Jesus even had to die."

http://magazine.biola.edu/article/12-summer/what-are-the-key-differences-between-mormonism-and/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2014 at 1:17:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;

That's part of the Old Testament. If you've ever seen small oblong ornaments placed on doorways at Synagogues and many Jewish-owned businesses and homes, these contain four small pieces of vellum with four sets of passages from, I think, Leviticus. One part says something like "Hear, O Israel, The Lord is our God, the Lord is one(*). You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your soul, and all your strength."

This passage, and what follows, is part of the daily prayers in the morning and evening (but not in the afternoon), because these sets of passages instruct reading them twice each day (really). The rest of the passages deal with the ritual wearing of the tallit, and however you call in English the wood and leather items worn by observant Jews in the morning prayer, as well as the placing of a symbol commemorating all this in, as I recall "The doors of your home and the gates of your cities."

And of course I'm sure the good Father knows this even better than I do.

(*) Ironic, isn't it? ;)

Quote:

That one's popular in Judaism, too, but I think it came later on. I think it's attributed to a rabbi named Hillel. There is a nursery-school song about it (really). The rabbi, as I recall, claimed that was the way to sum up the Torah while standing on one foot (whatever that means; I take it to mean in a short sentence).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 28th, 2014 at 1:18:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Implying that your neighbor is better than
your slave, which you can treat any way you
like, apparently.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2014 at 2:37:32 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
What a waste arguing about what is a randomly moving target. Even if the basis for a logical conclusion isn't true, this doesn't prove by itself the conclusion isn't true and the system pattern seeker can never believe it.