Original Sin?

February 22nd, 2017 at 11:55:35 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
You are assuming anything non-contingent perforce ahs to be a being. You have no basis for such an assumption.

I am assuming "entity" can mean lots of things.

Quote:
Not if the universe is a non-contingent existent.

Okay this is getting a little crazy. To claim this you would have to claim that the universe has to exist, that there is no possibility for it not to exist, because it is the reason for existence within itself. To claim this for a material thing brings all kinds of other complications but I think you can see that this is making the universe into God, a kind of pantheism. It also gets very confusing and one might be tempted to ask what is wrong with the simpler explanation that there is a first cause that is a spiritual, all-powerful, eternal, non-contingent entity.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:00:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: pew
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

I see zero benefit to lying about whether there is evidence for god. If I held the position that god evidence existed I would at least have the decency to say I rejected it since that would have to be my position.

I know people who say if this god existed they would reject him anyway, but why would so many bother to lie about evidence? It has zero advantage.

Furthermore if evidence was so obvious, why would we bother to try to convince anyone otherwise? It would be like trying to convince people the color blue doesn't exist.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:03:43 PM permalink
rxwine
FrGamble still hasn't answered whether one can be atheist after one's death? If he believes not, it only proves god could create convincing evidence, but hasn't.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:04:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You've just been told in no uncertain terms. You now have no excuse. Mark the date and time. God just did.

No, YOU have been told to believe
this, so you do. God didn't do squat,
people did. Believe them at your
own risk.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:06:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
This makes me really sad. God is NOT a football coach

Really? In my analogy he is. And it's
a good one.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:06:10 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
I see zero benefit to lying about whether there is evidence for god. If I held the position that god evidence existed I would at least have the decency to say I rejected it since that would have to be my position.

I know people who say if this god existed they would reject him anyway, but why would so many bother to lie about evidence? It has zero advantage.

Furthermore if evidence was so obvious, why would we bother to try to convince anyone otherwise? It would be like trying to convince people the color blue doesn't exist.
Now you also have been warned and are without excuse. It's like a virus. You've been exposed and there is no going back.
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:15:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Now you also have been warned and are without excuse. It's like a virus. You've been exposed and there is no going back.

I'm going to introduce you to Islam, if you don't believe it you are doomed. Same idea.
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:16:58 PM permalink
rxwine
You guys are like mob bosses. I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

Mob offers are evil.
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:21:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
I'm going to introduce you to Islam, if you don't believe it you are doomed.

Super double doomed.

Xtions get to spend eternity with each
other, how is that not hell.
February 22nd, 2017 at 12:22:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Or like chain lettersl.

Send this message to 10 people for good fortune, or suffer a calamity.