Original Sin?

November 3rd, 2015 at 6:45:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: boymimbo
Where is Jesus taking the image of slave?

There are many places where Jesus reminds us that he came to serve and not be served and that the disciples to be great must be the slave of all. However, in the very chapter Evenbob quoted there is a previous verse that shows that it is the master who will serve the slaves; "Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival. Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself, have them recline at table, and proceed to wait on them." (Lk. 12:37)

"Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, Who thought he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humled himself becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross." (Phil. 2:5-8)

Quote:
"Indentured servitude" = slavery, no matter how you call it. The bible states how slaves are to be treated (as well as you would treat others), yet the master still owns the slave and thus takes away their free will.

The Biblical notion of slavery does not recognize that the master owns the slave as some type of property. Yes the person's free will is limited because of war, crime, or debt but there is not a sense of ownership.

Quote:
The Bible states that both slaves and their master belong to God.

Exactly.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 3rd, 2015 at 6:56:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble

The Biblical notion of slavery does not recognize that the master owns the slave as some type of property.

"Slaves (in Jesus time) had no freedom, and their owners could do with them whatever they wanted, including selling them to someone else."

Yeah, no hint of slaves being property there. You
will continue to change the real meaning of
the NT to suit your needs, though.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2015 at 7:03:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

The Biblical notion of slavery does not recognize that the master owns the slave as some type of property. Yes the person's free will is limited because of war, crime, or debt but there is not a sense of ownership.

What????????
Part of the old testament is documenting ancient history
No doubt slaves were owned as property in ancient history.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 15th, 2015 at 12:39:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
With what's happening around the world
with yet more religious violence, I'm
becoming more and more anti organized
religion, especially those based on yahweh,
the OT god. Islam is intent on taking over
the world. FrG represents the Catholics and
he has said he prays for the day when
all Protestants come back to the 'one true
church'.

We can't let that happen. The Church wants it's
old power back so it can force us all into converting,
just like Islam is trying to do. We need a secular
world if we're to move forward, not a world based
on superstition and religious mumbo jumbo. The
word is getting out that religion is a hoax, and
the only hope we have is that it eventually dies
out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 15th, 2015 at 2:02:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
The world moving further and further away from God and towards secular relativism is the problem. It is why the 20th century has been the bloodiest century in human history. If we keep moving away from God expect more of the same. If you are really worried about violence than you should probably be pro-Christian and anti government.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 15th, 2015 at 3:01:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is why the 20th century has been the bloodiest century in human history.

That's insane and we've been down that
road a hundred times. 150 people just
lost their lives because of that awful
god yahweh, that's what were dealing
with in 2015. He's still on the loose in
peoples minds and he's just as blood
thirsty as ever.
November 15th, 2015 at 4:00:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
How many people lost their lives because of atheistic ideology of putting the state, power, and greed before or in the place of God?
November 15th, 2015 at 5:23:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
How many people lost their lives because of atheistic ideology of putting the state, power, and greed before or in the place of God?

The war's had nothing to do with god
either way. God was NEVER an issue.
Even in the religious wars of the past,
God was never the issue. It's always
about 'you have something I want
and I'm going to take it.' People love
going war, whatever religion they are.

Hitler started WWII because of what
happened after WWI. They lost part
of Germany in the treaty after the
war, and Germany wanted it back.
They wanted to dominate EU. It
had NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING
to do with religion. Hitler was raised
by a devout Catholic mother, that's
probably what drove him over the edge.
November 16th, 2015 at 7:58:58 AM permalink
FrGamble
When you do not have God as an important part of culture, society, and government it allows for the type of ideologies and ideas that made the 20th century the bloodiest century in human history.
November 16th, 2015 at 9:42:10 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
When you do not have God as an important part of culture, society, and government it allows for the type of ideologies and ideas that made the 20th century the bloodiest century in human history.

This may have fooled you, but it hasn't anyone else. At best, it's short-think, the same kind of thing that pissed Wiz off in that list of "cars most likely to be stolen". At worst, it's purposeful manipulation to support an opinion.

You can claim the 20th was bloodiest and I'd not bat an eye. I wouldn't, because the reason is obvious, and said reason has not one iota to do with what particular fantasy you subscribe to. The actual cause is nothing more than probability. There are more people now than ever. There are more weapons now than ever. Said weapons are more deadly than ever. Our ability to transport is better than ever. That, not the lack of god(s), is the reason.

Back when life took place in hamlets of a few hundred people, there was still violence and hate. But when someone took the OT as Truth and went to go stamp out sin, he had to walk. When he got where he was going, he had a sharp stick. That man could dedicate his life to being one of those agents of god, and if allowed to cleanse unfettered, he might rack up a few hundred kills in his lifetime. More likely, one who did such would be deemed a murdered and hung, having gone on a month long tear and racking up maybe 10 kills.

Today, I could get 10 kills in about as many seconds, even using my NYS mandated neutered Glock. I could do it here, or in Alberta, or in Belize, or maybe Jaipur. I could think of it now and then carry it out anywhere in the world before dinner is served. That makes a difference.

And psycho killers are a percentage, which I doubt fluctuates much. Say it's 1 in 100,000. It was 1 in 100,000 then, it's 1 in 100,000 now. Of course, when the world's population is 3mmm, there's a lot fewer of these types than now when it's 7mmm+.

It's just numbers. Quote it if it makes you feel better, but it's not Truth. The only support it brings you are from those who already believe. Anyone who thinks for half a second is going to see the real deal, and likely be turned off by the manipulation.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.