What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

June 8th, 2018 at 9:55:27 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Interesting article in The Atlantic about Fred Rodgers' attention to detail and the academic underpinnings of his approach.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/06/mr-rogers-neighborhood-talking-to-kids/562352/
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 8th, 2018 at 11:12:56 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
"Adrift" opens with the byline: "A True Story". The movie then goes on to recount the story of wanderers Tami and Richard as they meet, fall in love, and attempt to ferry a yacht from Tahiti to San Diego. The balance of the film is a recounting of the struggle to survive with a damaged boat, thin supplies, and only 25% of the fresh water they started with remaining.

Shailene Woodley, of the "Divergent"/"Insurgent"/"Allegiant" trilogy of films, stars as Tami and Sam Claflin, who had a role in a couple of "Hunger Games" movies, do a great job carrying the film. Like other stories of survival at sea ("Life of Pi", "In the Heart of the Sea", "The Perfect Storm", "Castaway") the pace is often necessarily slow, but the director does a good job getting his points across, and communicating sometimes technical information to the audience.

I think Fleastiff would eat this movie up. I don' t know if he would love it, or want to yell at the screen in frustration at the character's sailing decisions. As a professional landlubber, I enjoyed the story, especially since it is "true".

I give it 8 cans of sardines out of 10, even though I had to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from laughing at inappropriate times when Ms. Woodley really looked like Sean Penn as Jeff Spicoli in the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

June 8th, 2018 at 11:56:34 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I have been counting the days until the opening of Won't You Be My Neighbor. Finally the day as arrived and it is playing nowhere in Vegas! This is not very neighborly at all.

Update: I don't know what is going on here but IMDB indicates it is a limited engagement and is nowhere on the long list of theaters near my house, about ten of them, and all of them show multiple movies. However, Fandango indicates it is playing all over Vegas.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 8th, 2018 at 1:54:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
I think Fleastiff would eat this movie up. I don' t know if he would love it, or want to yell at the screen in frustration at the character's sailing decisions. As a professional landlubber, I enjoyed the story, especially since it is "true".
Ferrying a yacht for delivery is often a dangerous game. You generally sail undermanned and on a not yet completed and fitted out boat. However, as I recall the details of this incident, the yacht was second hand so it was already outfitted and stocked, though a bit sparingly. Jury rigging rarely lets you steer a true course. "Float Plans" help but its a big ocean, whole fleets get lost in it.

I'll try to see it if can. I believe the book was entitled Red Sky in Mourning (rather than morning).

I'm a landlubber too. BBB, Face and Paco seem to be our sailors.

by the way, sardines are often found as 'emergency rations' but if packed in oil or packed in mustard you really need lots of potable water. One girl left Florida for the UK and wound up making landfall in Portugal. Rations gone, emergency rations gone. Eating sprouts. Her first crossing of the Atlantic.
June 8th, 2018 at 2:26:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm sure nobody cares but I think Fandango was selling tickets for future dates. It would seem it is playing in zero theaters in Vegas. I put in Los Angeles as a location and only two places came up. I do not like these limited openings. I think the "release date" should be when it is widely available, not just a few test locations.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 8th, 2018 at 6:24:28 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
I'm sure nobody cares but I think Fandango was selling tickets for future dates. It would seem it is playing in zero theaters in Vegas. I put in Los Angeles as a location and only two places came up. I do not like these limited openings. I think the "release date" should be when it is widely available, not just a few test locations.

Plans for a wide release may have been curtailed at the last minute by slow pre-sales.

A word of advice, do not see "Oceans 8" as an alternative, it's as bad as EB hoped it would be.

I saw a trailer for "Bad Time at the El Royale" which is scheduled for release in October. The story takes place in a hotel that splits the Nevada/California border. Looks like fun.
June 8th, 2018 at 6:48:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Long ago it was possible to sit in California and put your drink down in Nevada, then someone recalculated the boundaries.
June 8th, 2018 at 7:46:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I have been counting the days until the opening of Won't You Be My Neighbor. Finally the day as arrived and it is playing nowhere in Vegas!

Won't You Be My Neighbor? doesn't open in Las Vegas for two weeks (22 June). Right now it is only playing in 29 theaters across the country in 12 markets Friday including The Landmark and Arclight in Los Angeles. The film will also open in Fred Rogers’ hometown of Pittsburgh this weekend.

You will basically have to drive 300 miles to see it in the next two weeks.

SCOTTSDALE, AZ OPENS 06.08.2018
HOLLYWOOD, CA OPENS 06.08.2018
LOS ANGELES, CA OPENS 06.08.2018

Clearly they think this documentary is going to win big in the awards shows, as it is the only reason to go through this long of a limited release.

June 11th, 2018 at 5:20:02 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
"Action Point" is a broad physical comedy from Johnny Knoxville in the mold of his MTV "Jackass" show. There are plenty of painful looking crashes, crunches and collisions, and some really crass low brow moments involving various bodily fluids, but not a lot of shocking laughs since the internet, with its millions of videos of people getting wrecked, have pretty much exhausted this genre. The gags feel manufactured which takes a lot of the fun out of it. The stunts are held together by a thin story about a homemade amusement park sticking it to the land developers, and an estranged father re-uniting with his daughter, but it is clear that reason for this movie's existence is to see Mr. Knoxville get injured in as many ways as possible.

I give it two cans of Schlitz out of ten.

There's a bumper gag at the very end if you are willing to sit through the credits. Interestingly, some of the film was produced in South Africa. The most entertaining part of the screening for me was watching a grandmother bring her preschool aged granddaughter in a few minutes after the film had already started. I am not sure if she thought they were in "Show Dogs", but grandma got up and hurried them out at Knoxville's first "you bastard!".

June 11th, 2018 at 7:21:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Quote: Pacomartin
Clearly they think this documentary is going to win big in the awards shows, as it is the only reason to go through this long of a limited release.

Won't you be my Neighbor? is packing them in at it's opening 29 theaters. Average was 700 people/theater on Saturday and 600 on Sunday (to the nearest 100).
Ocean's 8 stats were 400 on Saturday and 300 on Sunday (of course that's in 4145 theaters).

The only critical review was basically that the film maker treats his subject with too much devotion.

When Fred Rogers sang the iconic title song of Won’t You Be My Neighbor? at the beginning of the documentary, a chorus of audience members singing along rose up around it. For multiple generations, Rogers’ PBS program Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood cannot be separated from childhood itself. The film can easily coast on sentimentality and nostalgia for emotion, and does so frequently and unabashed. Which is frustrating, since there are glimpses of a more complex human being throughout the film, one who would have made for a much better subject.

In the 15 years since his death, Rogers has evolved in the internet age into an unusual meme, his image and quotes invoked as shorthand for goodness and decency, often for the purposes of inspiration or reassurance. Think about how many times you’ve seen his “Look for the helpers” speech in the aftermath of a tragedy. He’s a modern saint, with no one bothering to muster any criticism of the man (although we’re sure to see some contrarian hot takes on that matter when this film hits theaters, count on it). It is difficult to biographize such an apparently perfect figure, and Won’t You Be My Neighbor? settles for the traditional “And then this happened, and this, and this was important to him because this other thing happened in his childhood, and then…” model.

An intriguing route Morgan Neville chooses not to follow too far is its assertion that Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood is a more sophisticated piece of work than most people give it credit for. In contrast to most children’s entertainment, Rogers insisted on leisurely pacing, gentle tones, and above all treating young viewers seriously. His supposed key to connecting with young children was his ability to empathize with their point of view and create things that worked on their level. And clips from the show support this, demonstrating a mesmerizing command of deliberate gestures and dialogue beats. Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood is in fact masterful slow cinema for tots, and no, I’m not joking.

But Won’t You Be My Neighbor? is only interested in this insofar as it can support the film’s assertion as to how amazing Fred Rogers was. In one aggravating sequence, it breaks up a tender moment from the show in which one character reassures another that he is a worthwhile individual, even with all his faults, with needless commentary explaining techniques that the film should have already trained the viewer to recognize. It also brushes by any details of Rogers’ life which suggest a more complex or flawed individual, such as his sometimes seemingly megalomaniacal devotion to his “mission” or his pressuring a gay cast member to stay closeted. Despite his bland, wholesome image, there are enough hints of a better portrait that could have been made of Rogers to render this one a disappointment.