More workout difficulties

May 13th, 2014 at 10:47:21 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
No, it isn't. You get people who feel all virtuous for climbing a few flights of stairs every day, then they sit around the rest of the day engaging in no activity, thinking they get plenty of exercise. Likewise people who walk 50 meters from the parking lot to the office.

Looks like someone is mentally transforming =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 13th, 2014 at 12:08:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Looks like someone is mentally transforming =)

Oh, not at all. I just dislike to hear people expound false virtue.

I've an uncle who's been massively overweight his whole life. If you hear him talk, he's tried everything and nothing has worked. If you observe him, though, you'll notice he has tried nothing. For example, when he "tried" a rigorous diet under the supervision of a nutritionist, he would exceed every amount allowed for every nutrient (except vegetables). So as far as he was concerned half a skinless chicken breast equaled two half chicken breasts at KFC. And he refused to do any exercise, claiming he got plenty precisely waking 50 meters, and back, from the parking lot to the office every day.

Like that.

I've been overweight, obese even. I'm still overweight. and I do brag about working out, but I do work out. My goal is to reach a "normal" size by next Winter.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 13th, 2014 at 12:29:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If you hear him talk, he's tried everything and nothing has worked. If you observe him, though, you'll notice he has tried nothing.

That's a great observation. Worthy of Twain (observational comment of the human condition) (IMHO) Twain of Mark of course.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 13th, 2014 at 12:31:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
That's a great observation. Worthy of Twain (observational comment of the human condition) (IMHO) Twain of Mark of course.

I've never heard anything more flattering. Thank you.
May 13th, 2014 at 12:36:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I've never heard anything more flattering. Thank you.

You're welcome. It just jumped out at me. (literally, but not literally, the other literally, like a book, or figuratively is what I mean) : )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2014 at 10:50:10 AM permalink
Nareed
I like to claim a smal (very small) moral victory when everything goes wrong:

1) I left work at 9 pm yesterday to heavy traffic. By the time I had dinner it was 11 pm. I thought "No way I'll wake up at 5 tomorrow. I shouldn't even try."

2) I did try. I snoozed the alarm more than once, but was up by 5:15. I took it slow getting ready, but was ready by 6:15 am (this is normal for me; getting ready involves drinking 2 cups of coffee). But I was rather groggy still.

3) Upon reaching the gym, I realized I'd left my towel and water upstairs. Great, mroe delay

4) Once back at the gym, half the ligths wouldn't turn on and the treadmills refused to turn on. I tried looking at the breaker box, reset one, but things dind't change. I had delayed already and couldn't take time to find a solution. So I did the only thing possible:

5) I got on the exercise bike for 17 minutes, as it's the only one that runs on battery.

The small victory is this: I didn't think to look for an excuse to skip this day, even when excuses were plentiful.
May 23rd, 2014 at 6:42:27 AM permalink
Nareed
So today things went wrong again. A nightmare kept me up in the middle fo the night. The power went out for a few minutes and I was late getting coffee. I had to be in a bit earlier at the office for something of the uttmost trivial importance. and I just dind't feel like working out at all.

I wound up doing 17 minutes in the treadmill and 7 on the ellyptical.

But that's ok. After all, I did take the stairs down to the gym (one flight), then back up to the apartment (one flight), and finally down to the parking garage (two flights). And that is great exercise.
May 24th, 2014 at 2:07:12 PM permalink
Nareed
This past week drove home the fact I'm not getting enough sleep. Waking up at 5 am takes a toll, mroe so when I quickly got used to sleeping 8 hours while on vacation <sigh>. so I've come up with a new workout schedule:

Workout withotu fail Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri.
Day off on Wed and every other Sat. Why every other? Because on days when I have electrolysis I can't exercise as well. The sessions, though shorter than they used to be, take a heavy physical toll.
Sundays it depends on whether I have to get to the office or not, and what all else I have scheduled for the day.

Still, 4.5 days workour per week on average strikes me as pretty good.

Of course there remains those days when I can't work out due to work. For instance if we leave at 10 pm on Mon, there's no way I can wake up at 5 on Tue. Or if I need to be at the airport, or a meeting or other task early in the morning, I just don't have time. When that happens I move that day to a day off.

We'll see how it goes.
June 26th, 2014 at 2:13:00 PM permalink
Nareed
We'll see how it goes.

Famous last words....

How it went is it didn't go at all. There has been too much work and too much rain. Yes, I said rain. See, when it rains in Mex City, our lovely snarled traffic becomes stagnant. It back sup not only physically, but temporally as well. that is, past the height of the rush hour, traffic remains a mess. This means I've been regularly leaving work at 8 pm, and taking longer than suual to get home. On average over the last month, when I wasn't sent out of town on business, I've been arriving home past 9-9:30 PM. This means I get to bed too late to be able to get up in time for a workout.

So I've been doing without...

I finally was able to break the streak today. I managed even to put in a full 35 minutes.
December 26th, 2014 at 7:09:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Every year it gets harder and more difficult.

Since about July, we've been working well past 7 pm. This means I usually hit the traffic at its slowest and take anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour to get home. This has rendered my routine of going to bed early, waking at 5 and exercising at 6 all but impossible.

I've been working out mostly on weekends, random days off and even more random overnight business trips. But that's hardly enough.

My latest solution is this:

Wake at 5:45, relax with coffee, TV and the tablet until 6:15 (instead of from 5 to 6 as before), then work out 15-25 minutes. This would work only if I skip either a shower or breakfast. I can eat breakfast at work, sort of, so...

I'll be trying this next week (this week is already over). But I can't help wondering: how will my job spoil this for me now?