More workout difficulties

Page 10 of 13« First<78910111213>
February 16th, 2015 at 1:49:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I did 1 kilometer, about 12 minutes, on the treadmill, then 15 minutes of strength training, mostly with weights.

That's well and good. But tomorrow I have to be at the office by 7:30 am. This is only 30 minutes earlier than usual, but enough to throw off my morning schedule.

I thought instead of taking a break, I should do some more strength training this evening, if we don't leave the office far too late. I could easily fit in 20 minutes more of work on the abs, back and thighs.

we'll see how it goes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2015 at 5:28:26 PM permalink
Nareed
I want to make t clear, perfectly, crystal, 100% clear (C-L-E-A-R) I'm not turning into some kind of fitness fanatic who can think of little else besides working her "quads" and "obliques."

For one thing I still don't like to work out. For another, I really still don't like to work out.

It's just that I recognize it's necessary. And if I have to do it, I may as well do it right. This means fitting in, when possible, at least four sessions a week, preferably five. And also not pretending a short walk of 250 meters equals 25 minutes on the treadmill, or that carrying groceries to the car and then to the apartment is the same thing as a 15-minute workout with weights (carrying 50+ kilos of samples up four flights of stairs, might do for ten minutes on the treadmill, maybe). Fooling myself is easy, after all I'm in on it. But it gets me nothing.

And anyway it's near 7:30 and there's nary a sign we may leave soon.
February 16th, 2015 at 10:02:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

On other things, I know repetition is key to tone muscles. The problem is there are four areas I want to work on. Given the abbreviated, and uncertain, times for workouts every day, should I rotate them daily, or do 5 minutes on two and rotate them that way?

How does muscle build up?

Sorry I missed these. I usually wait for a few to pile up before I check the thread =p

As far as repetition, I can only say "it depends". "Toning" is a bit of building new muscle, but I would guess (I'm not a fitness guru) that it's mostly shedding fat. Shedding fat happens with work and doesn't require rest. If you did, say, a stair climber in an "abbreviated and uncertain way", and feel no stiffness, tightness, or pain the next time you do it, then there's no reason not to do it as soon as you want. I think the only part rotation plays is simply your body getting accustomed to a work out. The same effort is not going to give the same results over time. You gotta shake things up, do things different, every now and again.

As far as muscle growth, in order to build muscle, you must tear muscle. I don't mean full tear that puts you out for 6 months, but microscopic tears in the fibres. That tightness and pain you feel the day after a workout - that's muscle tear. And to repair it, your body makes more muscle tissue.

The best way to do this is few reps of maximum weight. Rather than squat with no weights 100 times, squat with 40lbs on your back 10 times. If an exercise is "aerobic" or "toning" or "lengthening", it is likely not going to be "muscle building" as well. I mean, yeah, you will build muscle from it. But not as much as a targeted exercise.

Jogging a mile - no. 40 yard dash - yes. 100 bicep curls of 5lbs - no. 10 curls of 100lbs - yes. Think "hard and explosive". Those are the things that focus on muscle building.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 17th, 2015 at 5:13:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Good answer Face. I would add that building muscle means going hard and explosive, but also to exhaustion. You can't just curl heavy weights for short reps, you have to keep raising the weight until no matter how much you and your muscles scream they can't go further. It's an awesome feeling and I get excited just thinking about it because for some health reasons I've had to cut way back on my powerlifting. On doctor's orders I have to lose some weight now before I can lift more weight. This means I'm doing crazy circuit training.

On a side note with Lent beginning tomorrow one of the things I've committed myself to doing is working out early in the morning three times a week.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 17th, 2015 at 11:00:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Sorry I missed these. I usually wait for a few to pile up before I check the thread =p

And I've been trying not to make this a laundry list of workout frustrations. :)

Quote:
As far as repetition, I can only say "it depends". "Toning" is a bit of building new muscle, but I would guess (I'm not a fitness guru) that it's mostly shedding fat. Shedding fat happens with work and doesn't require rest.

Oh, yes it does require rest ;) Lots of it.

I think it's mostly building muscle. I've lost weight before, years ago, down to my "ideal weight," and arms, legs, abs, etc remained flaccid for the most part. It's like toning skin. You moisturize, yes, but you also need to bring up new skin by exfoliating the dead outer layer (exfoliation is the ten dollar word for "use a loofa in the shower.")

Quote:
The same effort is not going to give the same results over time. You gotta shake things up, do things different, every now and again.

Yes, but for expending calories, 20 minutes on the treadmill works as well after a year. If you go longer or faster, it's because you can. A muscle used to lifting x weight for y times, perhaps maintains itself. But it won't grow more.

Quote:
As far as muscle growth, in order to build muscle, you must tear muscle. I don't mean full tear that puts you out for 6 months,

That would be such a good excuse not to work out! "My muscles are torn! I can't possibly do any time on the elliptical!" ;)

Again, it's like skin: you make the new by "hurting" the old. Actually the muscles try to adapt to changing circumstances. That's why you lose muscle tissue with prolonged inactivity, or in weightless conditions.

Quote:
The best way to do this is few reps of maximum weight. Rather than squat with no weights 100 times, squat with 40lbs on your back 10 times.

I've been doing ten-minute and five-minute workouts focused on an area: arms, abs, legs, etc. Curiously after the first day I feel nothing. after the second day I begin to feel sore muscles where I worked them. I think this means it's working.
February 17th, 2015 at 11:24:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
Good answer Face. I would add that building muscle means going hard and explosive, but also to exhaustion. You can't just curl heavy weights for short reps, you have to keep raising the weight until no matter how much you and your muscles scream they can't go further.

I will not say what that sounds like to me.

Between work and illness, I'm pretty much back at square one. I'm using mostly 5 lb. weights. I do several reps for each move, but I don't keep count. I just work out along to a video (no way I could do this without my trusty Nexus 7). in time I'll move to 8 lb. weights. then I'll need to get heavier weights. I think I'll top out at around 15-20 lb. We'll see.

Quote:
On doctor's orders I have to lose some weight now before I can lift more weight.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get better.

Ironically I'm doing weights to lose weight better....
February 17th, 2015 at 12:50:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Here's a thought:

Since muscle builds by first being damaged, could we one day have Nano scale robots directed to damage muscles at specific locations in specific ways thus building and toning muscles?

I'm inclined to say no. It sounds great, as there would be no effort or exertion. But I'm sure merely damaging the muscle isn't enough. There must be a lot more involved.
February 17th, 2015 at 1:03:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Here's a thought:

Since muscle builds by first being damaged, could we one day have Nano scale robots directed to damage muscles at specific locations in specific ways thus building and toning muscles?

I'm inclined to say no. It sounds great, as there would be no effort or exertion. But I'm sure merely damaging the muscle isn't enough. There must be a lot more involved.

I would think there is.

Think of your body like a machine. A car, maybe. Just as with a car, boosting power here requires attention in other places. I could easily bolt a supercharger to my truck and take its horsepower from its current 250 up and over 700, no problem. But if that's all I do, bolt on power, it won't last 100 miles. The cylinder sleeves will melt, the engine will overheat, the clutch will fry, the transmission will blow up... it just doesn't work that way.

When you work out to build muscle, many things come along for the ride. Ligament and tendons stretch, making you more pliable. Bones receive microscopic damage and repair, making them stronger. Your heart gets stronger, sending fuel and O2 to said muscle more effectively. Your blood changes, increasing its ability to store O2. Your brain chemistry changes, blocking pain and sending pleasure. I'd reckon if you could just send a nano army in to beef up the muscles, many things would blow out as a result, just as they would if I bolted boost into to my truck.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 17th, 2015 at 1:29:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
I would think there is.

I was hoping for a contrarian view.... It would be a great addition to an advanced future society.

Quote:
Think of your body like a machine.

I prefer to think o it as organic. I think it may even be closer to the truth ;)

Quote:
Just as with a car, boosting power here requires attention in other places.

Certainly. And your analogy is very good. But I'm talking about increasing muscle, not adding power. If the bone needs to be damaged, the nanobots can do that, too (of course, you'll wind up with lots and lots of nanobots; maybe they'll disturb or drive out the microbiome... hmm, I sense a gimmick for a story!) Perhaps the same with the tendons (of course you'll wind up with lots and lots... oh, wait. I seem to be repeating myself)

Quote:
Your heart gets stronger,

Now, that's good. You won't want nanobots messing with heart muscle. What if they screw up? A cramp in the leg is one thing. A heart attack is quite another.

Suppose you take a nanobot capsule, download Apple iBodySculpt to your iPhone (the nanobots use Bluetooth), and program it to run only when you do cardio, so the heart will build up along with the muscles.

Quote:
I'd reckon if you could just send a nano army in to beef up the muscles, many things would blow out as a result, just as they would if I bolted boost into to my truck.

Keep thinking on that. It has potential for a good story. A nice morality myth type of story.
February 17th, 2015 at 7:38:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
As much as these nano bots and other things that promise what they can't deliver are tempting Face is right there is no escaping the hard work, sweat, and clanging of metal plates needed to build our muscles or get in shape. Hard work and dare I say it, sacrifice, are always required for good things to happen.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
Page 10 of 13« First<78910111213>