More workout difficulties

April 16th, 2014 at 8:09:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Back on the metaphorical horse, no major problems. It's good to know, though it's obvious, one does not get out of shape by missinga few days.

Also I'm making great progress with the audible books and lectures. I've been gobbling up Great Courses at a prodigious rate. I'm close to averaging 40 hours per month.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 16th, 2014 at 8:22:21 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Back on the metaphorical horse, no major problems. It's good to know, though it's obvious, one does not get out of shape by missinga few days.

Don't fool yourself into disaster. It is not the physical where the danger lies. It is the mental.

You can go quite a period of non activity and not lose what you gained. Take a week off, a month, and you can probably get back to that point quickly. But once your mind switches to "it's ok to miss (arbitrary period of time)", it is very easy to build from there. Soon, that "every third Sunday" you take off turns into every Sunday. And Sunday is just about like Saturday, so take that off, too. Now you're already taking off the weekend, and Friday is pretty much the weekend... you get the idea.

Every action has a beginning, a thing which is key. In this, it is the mental game. Take a day off from physical, but never rest on the mental.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 16th, 2014 at 8:55:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Don't fool yourself into disaster. It is not the physical where the danger lies. It is the mental.

Everyone knows a mind is a terrible thing to waste ;)

Actually that's a slogan I love and approve of wholeheartedly.

anwyay,

Quote:
But once your mind switches to "it's ok to miss (arbitrary period of time)", it is very easy to build from there.

True. On the other hand it's nice not to feel guilty over missing a few days due to outside factors, or to take a day off when I'm too tired from cooking all afternoon.
April 16th, 2014 at 9:03:04 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

True. On the other hand it's nice not to feel guilty over missing a few days due to outside factors, or to take a day off when I'm too tired from cooking all afternoon.

Indeed it is, and that's another part of the mental - Not beating yourself up.

I used to do that back in my serious sports days, and I see my girl doing that now. Miss one day, and it's "a problem". You "gotta make up for it". You're "gonna lose your gains". All that serves only to add stress to what is already a somewhat stressful task. Do it enough, and that stress reaches a point where "it's not worth it" and you stop completely.

Don't do that.

Enjoy your Vegas =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 17th, 2014 at 11:11:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
I used to do that back in my serious sports days, and I see my girl doing that now. Miss one day, and it's "a problem". You "gotta make up for it". You're "gonna lose your gains". All that serves only to add stress to what is already a somewhat stressful task. Do it enough, and that stress reaches a point where "it's not worth it" and you stop completely.

I see it as a matter of perspective. I'm working out to lose weight. That will take months, maybe as long as 18 months or so. Then I'll keep working out to maintain that weight. That takes a lifetime. A few days lost here and there matter only so much. It's not good to miss them, you will lose something, but it's not a major setback. If I may borrow a phrase without offending any of our esteemed members, it's not a sin.

Quote:
Don't do that.

If I do, I'll have myself committed. ;)

Quote:
Enjoy your Vegas =)

Thanks! I intend to :)
May 9th, 2014 at 8:47:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Little update:

I did not, of course, work out while on vacation. I did not watch what I ate much, either. I did walk around a great deal. I didn't use the pedometer app on the phone much, but it measured the distance from my room at the GN to the upper floor of the D at 650 meters (1,600 meters to a mile, make your own conversions), and from my room to the buffet at MSS at 740 meters. Also from the SDX stop at Fashion Show to Harrahs at 810 meters.

Based on that and guesstimating a great deal more than is proper, I think I walked anywhere from 3 to 5 kilometers per day. Some days I walked more, like on days I went shopping at either outlet mall, or when I did the walk from Fashion Show to the Flaming and back twice in one day.

The end result is that I lost weight. How much? No clue. I haven't weighed myself in years. But here's what I do know: two skirts I brought along which were a tight fit now are a comfortable fit.

Tomorrow I resume working out at home.

BTW, regarding the "taking two flights of stairs once a day is good exercise" people: walking several kilometers a day, so you end up with blisters on your feet and are so tired at the end of the day you fall asleep the moment your head touches the pillow, that is "good exercise"
May 9th, 2014 at 1:16:03 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I'm skipping the five pages. Just from the initial complaints, I would build a workout you can do at home to eliminate the excuses. You don't need a lot of equipment but just a few things and commitment.
May 11th, 2014 at 7:01:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Actually I resumed the workouts today.

I found out two things: 1) I did keep in shape. I deduce this form the fact that I wasn't tired after 25 minutes (including cool down). 2) he shin muscles used in regular walking as opposed to fast walking don't react the same way. After just 6 minutes this morning my shins were burning and begging for em to stop. I kept going, but 25 minutes was all I could take.

Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

On a totally unrelated subject, I did get some proper workout wear while shopping in Vegas. I found anything at Nike, Puma or Reebok was horribly overpriced. mostly you pay for the brand. I wound up shopping at Champion, which not only had better prices but also a 40% off sale when buying two items or more.
May 11th, 2014 at 11:14:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
After just 6 minutes this morning my shins were burning and begging for em to stop. I kept going, but 25 minutes was all I could take.

Try a session doing shorter stride lengths and see if that helps. (quicker steps if you need to compensate for speed).

You can go back to longer stride lengths, but it may help to vary and do sessions with shorter step length.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 11th, 2014 at 11:15:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I mentioned this to somene, in the context of my (near)-daily workout, and she said, in all seriousness "Oh, that's good exercise!"

Really! 31+ minutes in a treadmill and elyptical are what, then? overkill? training? But 20 seconds going up the stairs is "good exercise"? <facepalm>

I don't understand why you are disparaging the comment? I probably would have said the same thing. When I worked on the fifth floor of the Social Security building I almost never* took the stairs in the interests of getting exercise climbing the stairs. I'm not saying that was only exercise I did, but every little bit helps.

It amazed me how many able bodied people I saw taking the elevators just one floor, when there were stairwells all over the place.

* Sometimes when I was part of a group I would take the elevator after my suggestion to take the stairs was soundly outvoted. However, if said group included my superiors, I always quietly went along with what they wanted to do.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber