Random Thought of the Day

December 4th, 2019 at 4:31:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Actually made me wonder if there is an ideal amount of time to spend together in order to preserve a relationship,

I see my wife half a dozen times a
year. We have a perfect relationship.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2019 at 11:46:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2019 at 7:52:06 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine

That is awesome. That will be on my Christmas list.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 9th, 2019 at 1:32:57 PM permalink
rxwine
I started flipping the pages of my IPad calendar and noticed it can go back several years. Then I went to see what day I was born, then WW2, than the year Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

Yeah, not even sure it doesn’t go to B.C.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 12th, 2019 at 11:11:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
One morning during the presidency of George H.W. Bush, Jonna Mendez, then the CIA’s chief of disguise, entered the White House wearing a mask. She had originally disguised herself as an African-American man but decided that mask wouldn’t work, not least because her voice would give her away. Instead, she borrowed the face of a female colleague. “It was a little nerve-racking,” she recalls. “I hadn’t really worn it anywhere.” She sat outside the Oval Office, chewing her pencil through the mask, until the president was ready for his morning intelligence briefing.

Entering the Oval with Brent Scowcroft, the national security adviser, and Robert Gates, the CIA director, Ms. Mendez delivered the briefing without raising the slightest suspicion. “Then I said, I’m going to show you what we’re doing now, the latest technology. I’m going to take it off.” President Bush, himself a former CIA director, told her not to; he wanted to figure it out himself. Mr. Bush stood up from his desk and circled her but couldn’t spot anything amiss.

“So I just took it off,” laughs Ms. Mendez. “I did the Tom Cruise peel before Tom Cruise did. I think they should call it the Jonna Mendez peel.” The mask now sits in a display at the International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C.

Heh, I learned how to get the link from my iPad but not how to post the article and text at the same time.
December 12th, 2019 at 1:55:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/us-beer-consumption-has-declined-six-consecutive-years

I told you guys 3 taverns went out of business when I quit drinking.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 12th, 2019 at 2:01:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/us-beer-consumption-has-declined-six-consecutive-years

I told you guys 3 taverns went out of business when I quit drinking.

I never started drinking
I don't like the alcohol high. Would rather be sober then have an alcohol high
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2019 at 8:41:36 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I never started drinking

I have never stopped.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 14th, 2019 at 8:52:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I never ceased to be amazed at the outfits that send you an email and tell you to click on the links in the email. Of course, many of these are criminal scams that will capture your real user names and passwords if you proceed.

On the other hand I'm fairly - fairly - sure that some of them are legitimate; since I don't know, I don't click.

Some of them I assume are legit. But they don't tell you to be careful about clicking on links on emails. Additionally, they don't advise you that it is safer to go to their website in the manner you usually do, without using any provided links.

Lately, one of these was the Social Security Administration, sending me an email that I am fairly sure was from them, as I had signed up for those email reminders and now I know it kind of had to be from them [there wasn't a duplicate] advising me to check for a message. There was nothing about the email that couldn't have been generated by a scammer with fake links.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 19th, 2019 at 5:41:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Last weekend was in NYC. I was amazed at how the bicyclists weaved in and out of traffic. My thought was that it is amazing that there aren't dozens of fatalities due to this reckless behavior. Apparently there are dozens.... the 28th cyclist died yesterday in NYC this year after being struck by a motor vehicle..... I don't know how many more suffered severe but non fatal injuries....