Crime Thread

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
December 29th, 2023 at 4:24:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the best way to avoid this outcome for the newbie is to avoid mushrooms with gills. And, I do, and I'm still standing, yeah.

why experts don't say this I don't know. I suspect they feel it's not that hard to identify the right ones to eat, but my opinion is that most people aren't up to examining spore prints and all that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 13th, 2024 at 2:28:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I have read books and watched plenty of true crime stories on TV over the years; definitely cutting back on that now. I pretty much refuse to follow any story now that is as much as anything just a sordid story, and, really those that are not are few. [edit]

Just watched the story of the murder of a young couple in 1987, Tanya Van Cuylenborg and Jay Cook, for which William Talbott II was convicted. This is exactly the type of story I normally won't watch now, but this one had other aspects that were interesting, mainly that the killer was caught because a relative sent in her DNA out of curiosity about her family tree.

I won't go into it, you can follow up online if you want, but one statement that was made in the show struck me: if you are in the US and white*, they said, the data base is so strong that there is a 90% chance that you can be identified if they have your DNA. Largely this is because so many people are sending in their DNA for ancestry, a big thing with white people it seems. They mean, too, even if your DNA is otherwise a mystery, that it was submitted as from an unknown person and your DNA never got put into the vast database before. Some of your relatives have, most likely.

https://sandhillsexpress.com/cbs_national/killer-eludes-police-for-31-years-one-woman-found-him-in-2-hours-cbsid8086703e/

* wouldn't you know race becomes part of the story
January 13th, 2024 at 7:52:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I really liked the "Masterminds" TV series. It was about criminals who did a lot more clever things, than your average criminal. It's fitting that it only last one season. After all, otherwise it would imply less than the best of the worse.

Quote:
S1 E1 · The Anthon Forgeries
Jul 16, 2003
Mark Hoffman discovered a document written by the founders of the Mormon Chruch. He then forged several more. How did he manage to fool the experts?

S1 E2 · The Dunbar Heist
In 1997, six men pulled off the largest cash robbery in US history. How did ex-employee Allen Pace and his gang net $18.9 million and almost get away with it?

S1 E3 · The Knightsbridge Heist
Sep 29, 2003
Britain's largest heist in history netted the culprit $90 million in jewels, cash and drugs.

S1 E4 · Man Called "Hollywood"ct 6, 2003

A gang of bank robbers with the man behind the heist Hollywood leaves very few clues for the police to track him down.
S1 E5 · Double Crossed
Nov 3, 2003

The story of Charles Daugherty, who passed himself off as Donald Trump's niece. At age 26, he enrolled in high school as a 17-year-old girl and joined the cheerleading squad.
S1 E6 · The Laguna Niguel Heist
Nov 17, 2003

Amil Dinsio is America's most successful bank robber, scoring over $20 million. However, it was the 1972 raid on America's single richest bank vault that went down in history.
S1 E7 · A Smuggler Supreme
Nov 24, 2003

Brian O'Dea wasn't your average fisherman. During the 1980s, he netted over $200 million from smuggling marijuana into the US right under the noses of the FBI.
S1 E8 · Art Fraud
Dec 8, 2003

Two Americans discover the man who pulled off the biggest art fraud in U.K. history.
S1 E9 · The Hotel Pierre Heist
Dec 15, 2003

On New Year's Eve 1972, Bobby Comfort and four accomplices looted New York's lavish Pierre Hotel. They got away with $10 million in gems and cash in just two hours.
S1 E10 · Perfect Score
Dec 22, 2003
William Smarto was one of America's most ingenious criminals. He hid inside an Illinois bank until closing time at which point he took over $1,000,000 in cash and jewels.
S1 E11 · Harn
Jan 19, 2004
Greed helps investigators nail three fraternity brothers who used computer trickery to scam millions from bogus horse racing bets.
S1 E12 · A Day at the Races
Feb 14, 2004
Three fraternity brothers duped the horse racing world by forging hundreds of winning tickets. They won over $3,000,000 on the Breeders' Cup before being caught.
S1 E13 · The Stopwatch Heist
Feb 17, 2004
Paddy Mitchell and his crew famously never took more than 90 seconds to do a job. This is the story of the gang's greatest heist at a Bank of America branch in San Diego.
S1 E14 · The King of Car Thieves
Mar 6, 2004

Balwinder "Bill" Dhaliwal's car theft ring.
S1 E15 · The Riviera Job
Mar 26, 2004

In 1976, Albert Spaggiari pulled off a heist that went down in history. He raided the vault of the Societe Generale, stealing gold, cash and gems worth millions.
S1 E17 · Dinner Set Gang
Apr 23, 2004
Peter Salerno stole millions out of the bedrooms of the rich and famous. How did he manage to get in and out of supposedly secure mansions undetected?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2024 at 2:19:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
So what did Sam Bankman-Fried in?

Quote:
[It was] Bankman-Fried’s propensity for gambling

Specifically, the type that's applied math

Quote:
A math nerd who makes decisions in math, doing what we might call “cost / benefit analysis” and what Bankman-Fried called “expected value.” It was the math that did him in.
“In the head of this mathematical wizard, his own counsel tells us, in substance, that he was viewing the cost of getting caught, discounted by probability or improbability, against the gain of getting away without getting caught, given the probabilities,” Kaplan [the trial judge] said

According to https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/29/24114864/sam-bankman-fried-trial-sentencing-lessons-ftx
Page 6 of 6« First<3456