Google: People Also Ask

February 27th, 2024 at 6:56:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I read a couple different things in the comments. Sinking ships don't necessarily suck you under. (don't know), and sailors at that time didn't necessarily know how to swim (seems like a bad idea, if you're going to be on ships a lot.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 27th, 2024 at 7:23:13 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
I was looking up other stuff and this came up in people also ask

>>>

Did PT boats sink any Japanese ships?

I saw Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway sink multiple Japanese vessels from the PT-73.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 27th, 2024 at 8:16:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DRich
I saw Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway sink multiple Japanese vessels from the PT-73.
+1 ..... when I was coming up we were regaled by stories of PT boats, which were also I think considered a sort of swashbuckling heroism story during the war too. The idea for McHale's Navy TV show was no doubt due to all this and especially PT109 and that story about President Kennedy

I was actually looking to see if I could find anything on PT109 suggesting Kennedy was operating recklessly. I heard this mentioned once upon a time, probably in the 70s, not the 60s. Certainly you can imagine a destroyer getting quite a bit of satisfaction out of ramming and sinking such a boat, should this have ever happened?

Not much comes up, just a little hint on Wikipedia page on it

Quote:
By 2 a.m. on 2 August 1943, as the battle neared its end, PT-109, PT-162, and PT-169 were ordered to continue patrolling the area ...The night was cloudy and moonless, and fog had set amidst the remaining PTs. Kennedy's boat was idling on one engine to avoid the detection of her phosphorescent wake by Japanese aircraft when the crew realized they were in the path of the Japanese destroyer Amagiri... The lack of speed and maneuverability caused by the idling engines of PT-109 put the ship at risk from passing destroyers, but Kennedy had not been warned by radio of destroyers in the area. Kennedy believed the firing he had heard was from shore batteries on Kolombangara, not destroyers, and that he could best avoid detection by enemy sea planes by idling his engines and reducing his wake
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 27th, 2024 at 8:25:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
and this, which confirms that some had their doubts, but nothing specific

https://barrybradford.com/jfk-and-pt-109-how-historical-perspective-can-shift/
February 28th, 2024 at 6:10:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Which jobs will never be replaced by AI?

Therapists and Counselors.
Social Work and Community Outreach Roles.
Musicians.
High-Level Strategists and Analysts.
Research Scientists and Engineers.
Performing Arts.
Judges.
Leadership and Management Roles.
February 28th, 2024 at 7:14:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Which jobs will never be replaced by AI?

Therapists and Counselors.
Social Work and Community Outreach Roles.
Musicians.
High-Level Strategists and Analysts.
Research Scientists and Engineers.
Performing Arts.
Judges.
Leadership and Management Roles.

Unless something major happens, like Ai causes cancer, all professions are going to be impacted in some manner. I joked a long time ago, computers didn't relieve us of work; they just made employers give people 10 times more to do.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 29th, 2024 at 2:41:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
cross-dressing is still OK to say, transvestite, nay

>>>

The term transvestite is no longer used in the English language and is considered pejorative. Sexual orientation: Describes sexual attraction only, and is not directly related to gender identity. The sexual orientation of transgender people should be defined by the individual
__

Is transvestite a medical term?

The term cross-dressers is usually used to refer to people with transvestism. Transvestite is a less acceptable term and is considered offensive. Cross-dressing in and of itself is not considered a mental health disorder.
__

What is the new word for transvestite?

Cross-dresser
Transvestite: A person who dresses in clothes of the opposite sex. A transgender person or cisgender person may or may not cross-dress. "Cross-dresser" is the preferable term.
February 29th, 2024 at 3:54:46 AM permalink
rxwine
cross-dressing is still OK to say, transvestite, nay

>>>

The term transvestite is no longer used in the English language and is considered pejorative. Sexual orientation: Describes sexual attraction only, and is not directly related to gender identity. The sexual orientation of transgender people should be defined by the individual
__

Is transvestite a medical term?

The term cross-dressers is usually used to refer to people with transvestism. Transvestite is a less acceptable term and is considered offensive. Cross-dressing in and of itself is not considered a mental health disorder.
__

What is the new word for transvestite?

Cross-dresser
Transvestite: A person who dresses in clothes of the opposite sex. A transgender person or cisgender person may or may not cross-dress. "Cross-dresser" is the preferable term.

You need a new bag (Austin Powers reference)
February 29th, 2024 at 5:22:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
transvestite word was brought up in a different thread here
February 29th, 2024 at 5:49:45 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I'm surprised Gemini (Bard) doesn't already classify "cross-dresser" as "pejorative".

It may take some more time to normalize, so folks don't commit suicide, can get hired, etc.

Like the United Airlines' CEO, in public no less.