In the News II

March 31st, 2023 at 7:59:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DoubleGold
When I was in high school, nothing like this ever happened.

---------------------------

14-year-old girl hangs herself inside California high school, cops say

March 30, 2023

https://nypost.com/2023/03/30/girl-found-hanging-inside-lindhurst-california-high-school/

---------------------------

You must be older than I am. I was a freshman when Columbine happened.

Interestingly, we moved and I switched schools not long after Columbine (week and a halfish)---there was literally a bomb threat called in my first day at the new school! I took it as an opportunity to learn where all my classes were located, until someone saw me in the hall and made me exit the building.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 31st, 2023 at 10:10:42 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Mission146
You must be older than I am. I was a freshman when Columbine happened.

Interestingly, we moved and I switched schools not long after Columbine (week and a halfish)---there was literally a bomb threat called in my first day at the new school! I took it as an opportunity to learn where all my classes were located, until someone saw me in the hall and made me exit the building.

I have twin sons your age.

Did that experience affect the way you viewed life?

I think it would mine.
March 31st, 2023 at 11:55:05 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I have twin sons your age.

Did that experience affect the way you viewed life?

I think it would mine.

Nah. It probably would have impacted me more had there actually been a bomb and I'd been killed.

Or, were you referring to Columbine? Not really. The most unfortunate thing (meaning only for me, personally) is that we were on the poorer end as I was growing up, but my mom had got me this absolutely gorgeous leather trench coat for Christmas, so those were not only banned the following school year, but then you'd get a bunch of trench coat mafia jokes even just wearing it around.

I passed it down to my younger sister; I believe she still has it.

At the time it happened, Columbine was sort of abstract to me, given my age. You had 9/11 just a few short years later. D.C. snipers just after that; eventually, I guess I reached the point where these sort of things aren't even a mild surprise, much less anything that impacts me psychologically.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 31st, 2023 at 12:17:23 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Nah. It probably would have impacted me more had there actually been a bomb and I'd been killed.

Or, were you referring to Columbine? Not really. The most unfortunate thing (meaning only for me, personally) is that we were on the poorer end as I was growing up, but my mom had got me this absolutely gorgeous leather trench coat for Christmas, so those were not only banned the following school year, but then you'd get a bunch of trench coat mafia jokes even just wearing it around.

I passed it down to my younger sister; I believe she still has it.

At the time it happened, Columbine was sort of abstract to me, given my age. You had 9/11 just a few short years later. D.C. snipers just after that; eventually, I guess I reached the point where these sort of things aren't even a mild surprise, much less anything that impacts me psychologically.

Yes, I was referring to Columbine.

What was the DC Sniper event?
March 31st, 2023 at 12:22:19 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Yes, I was referring to Columbine.

What was the DC Sniper event?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._sniper_attacks

Basically, these two guys that were just going around randomly picking off folks for a better part of a year. They really ramped it up in October of 2002, though.
March 31st, 2023 at 12:31:45 PM permalink
DoubleGold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._sniper_attacks

Basically, these two guys that were just going around randomly picking off folks for a better part of a year. They really ramped it up in October of 2002, though.

TY. I vaguely remember the name Lee Malvo.
March 31st, 2023 at 1:56:19 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Oof.

More bad news for Fox. Judge issues partial summary judgement in Dominion’s favor:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 31st, 2023 at 2:34:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

My father was a High School principal in the 1970's. There were so many bomb threats that he finally decided to just ignore them. He always said that if one actually goes off and explodes he would be spending the rest of his time in prison.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 2nd, 2023 at 5:31:04 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Bragg does it again.

Thief shoots garage worker twice. Wounded garage worker wrestles gun away from thief before he could pull the trigger again, and shoots him.

Bragg charges garage worker with attempted murder.
April 2nd, 2023 at 5:53:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In some places (like Texas I believe) you can shoot a car thief even if they are running away. But in other places you would be charged with a crime if the criminal becomes compliant or in retreat.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?