In the News II

March 21st, 2024 at 6:33:37 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Biden has nominated for the judiciary a man (Mangi) who has ties with anti-Semitic organizations. He’ll get zero Republican votes and a few Democrats have already announced their opposition. I thought (foolishly) that Biden wouldn’t nominate someone just to have him humiliated. Guess I was wrong.

Manchin just threw a new monkey wrench in Shumer’s plans. Announced he won’t vote for any nominee that doesn’t get at least one Republican vote. Basically saying if it’s not (a little) bipartisan he won’t support it.

I think the Dems still would prefer Manchin over whoever (Republican) replaces him, but they must hate him behind the scenes.
March 21st, 2024 at 6:54:36 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
In another ‘you can’t make this up’ moment, it has been discovered that Katie Porter’s campaign spent millions of dollars supporting a candidate…. named Early…. who was running against her…. They figured votes for Early would decrease votes for Garvey…..

Then she had the audacity to complain that the election was rigged by ‘big money’. Good riddance. With her (lack of) ethics probably gets a job at CNN or MSNBC.
March 21st, 2024 at 11:01:36 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Trump's shares in the SPAC media firm could be worth $5.6 billion soon.

I'd expect the SEC to intervene under orders of the Biden admin.

They cannot let him have that kind of cash.

I'd like to see it rise 10-fold from there.
March 21st, 2024 at 12:25:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
The U.S. crime rate is still dropping, FBI data shows
Why does the public think it's going up? “There is definitely more disorder in cities than there was five years ago," said one expert. “People confuse disorder and crime.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/us-crime-rate-still-dropping-says-fbi-rcna144100
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 21st, 2024 at 12:56:12 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/us-crime-rate-still-dropping-says-fbi-rcna144100

When you quit arresting people or charging them with a crime the crime rate will go down even if there is more of the activity that was included in the previous stats..
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 21st, 2024 at 1:09:06 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: kenarman
When you quit arresting people or charging them with a crime the crime rate will go down even if there is more of the activity that was included in the previous stats..

https://kansasreflector.com/2023/10/29/politicians-love-to-cite-crime-data-its-often-wrong/

The numbers are flawed. Historically, only about 45% report crimes. Only 71% of US law enforcement agencies didn't submit data to the FBI in 2022.

Red States (more in the bottom end), Blue Cities (like New Orleans)...lots have not gotten onboard with the new reporting system. Maybe there is an issue in places where small agencies have their statistics submitted by the larger local Sheriff's Office.

Maybe some oversight hearings and a solution are in order.
March 21st, 2024 at 1:10:43 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman

Do you think if no one is charged/arrested/convicted for a murder then that murder doesn’t get included in the statistics???
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 21st, 2024 at 1:12:10 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/ten-individuals-charged-950000-covid-19-relief-fraud-schemes

20 years in Prison for getting $20,000 illegally..... I make around that on an average year. 💡 What greedy idiots. 🙄😒
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
March 21st, 2024 at 1:51:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
Do you think if no one is charged/arrested/convicted for a murder then that murder doesn’t get included in the statistics???

Well, I hope kenerman doesn’t really believe the Trump administration is going to put crime reporting accuracy on his policy list. More likely, crime erasing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 21st, 2024 at 1:57:21 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288

Most cops are probably still doing the paper work for a murder. It is well established that many cops can't be bothered doing the paperwork for lesser crimes with catch and release and no meaningful sentences. Even if they bother arresting and charging them the Soros DA's will fail to approve the charges.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin