In the News II

November 20th, 2023 at 6:34:01 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Tanko
Any navy that can fire nuclear missiles at us is a significant competitor.

Follow the trend.

The size of our Navy is shrinking, while theirs is increasing.

That is an interesting assertion. How many Naval vessels does China have that can launch nuclear weapons?

Remeber, I am asking specifically about Naval vessels (PLAN assets.)
November 20th, 2023 at 8:21:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's not how many ships, it's how many ships one ship can sink or disable in a manner of minutes without getting sunk or disabled. Ability to detect at farther ranges and hit accurately is also important. I think we can position about 10 times as many planes in any area of the world with our carriers.

Ukraine would be finished months ago if it was only a matter of numbers of arms and soldiers.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2023 at 8:46:52 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
China currently operates twelve Chinese military-run 'space stations' in South America.

'The reactions of the international community, especially the U.S. and the European Union, to the Chinese advance are one of concern, not only because of their position in space but given that the investments are intended to monitor, spy on and collect information from the satellites of the Atlantic Alliance countries.'

The spy station they operate in Argentina became operational in 2017 under a bilateral agreement, and Argentina is probably stuck with it. It depends on what kind of man the new president is.

Trump Forces China Out of Port of Long Beach Terminal Ownership after Obama gives them a forty-year lease

Out Maneuvered:

'China expands its presence in South America with massive Peru port'

When the US gave up control over the Panama Canal in 1999, the Chinese company Hutchison Whampoa signed a 25 year lease with the Panamanian government to run the canal. They recently renewed the lease for another 25 years.

'Losing strategic control of the Panama Canal to the People’s Republic of China'

Nature abhors a vacuum. Instead of pulling back and retreating from engagement around the world like some conservatives want, the US must continue to actively engage and develop friendly alliances around the world. That way, China, Russia and whoever else, doesn't gain a foothold to act against US interests.
November 20th, 2023 at 10:19:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GenoDRPh
China currently operates twelve Chinese military-run 'space stations' in South America.

'The reactions of the international community, especially the U.S. and the European Union, to the Chinese advance are one of concern, not only because of their position in space but given that the investments are intended to monitor, spy on and collect information from the satellites of the Atlantic Alliance countries.'

The spy station they operate in Argentina became operational in 2017 under a bilateral agreement, and Argentina is probably stuck with it. It depends on what kind of man the new president is.

Trump Forces China Out of Port of Long Beach Terminal Ownership after Obama gives them a forty-year lease

Out Maneuvered:

'China expands its presence in South America with massive Peru port'

When the US gave up control over the Panama Canal in 1999, the Chinese company Hutchison Whampoa signed a 25 year lease with the Panamanian government to run the canal. They recently renewed the lease for another 25 years.

'Losing strategic control of the Panama Canal to the People’s Republic of China'

Nature abhors a vacuum. Instead of pulling back and retreating from engagement around the world like some conservatives want, the US must continue to actively engage and develop friendly alliances around the world. That way, China, Russia and whoever else, doesn't gain a foothold to act against US interests.

That is a recipe for becoming a prisoner of your own empire.
The President is a fink.
November 20th, 2023 at 10:54:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Reminds me, I heard Israeli tanks have a projectile defense system. No doubt our Abrams have them also, but that certainly didn't seem to be in use in Iraq. Or if it was it was more limited.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2023 at 1:31:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
$217 million tax dollars are going to be spent on ‘suicide prevention netting’ for the Golden Gate Bridge. Are you telling me San Francisco couldn’t find better use for $217 million? Do they think there are no other bridges/buildings/cliffs in the area?
November 20th, 2023 at 2:23:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
$217 million tax dollars are going to be spent on ‘suicide prevention netting’ for the Golden Gate Bridge. Are you telling me San Francisco couldn’t find better use for $217 million? Do they think there are no other bridges/buildings/cliffs in the area?

That is a bit misleading, this has been going on for several years (since before COVID), for an ongoing project, it is not 217m for a 1 month project (and has been approved for a while.)

Also, it is basically complete (I actually got to tour it last month, impressive project.) And, it was funded by the Golden Gate district fund (which can pretty much only be spent on Golden Gate projects, it was not paid by general City or County funds. It is basically a pool of money (and special district) that can only spend money on Golden Gate projects. The Golden Gate has a toll which funds the organization (there are not many tolls in California in general, so the high toll is a bit unique.) But, it is not like the City is just randomly throwing money at this project it is spent from a specific pool.
November 20th, 2023 at 3:17:11 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

When righties come here in a huff spewing totally random stories about San Francisco, you can always bet that they heard it on some right wing “fair and balanced” network.

Try to leave the bubble!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 20th, 2023 at 5:19:50 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
When righties come here in a huff spewing totally random stories about San Francisco, you can always bet that they heard it on some right wing “fair and balanced” network.

Try to leave the bubble!

I’m in no bubble, that I can assure you. I don’t care exactly which municipality/toll/tax/fee the money came from. The money could be better spent. Or not ‘collected’ in the first place. I don’t actually remember where I read it. But I ‘think’ it was that right wing bastion, CNN. The article was very positive about the nets, mainly focusing on a suicide attempt survivor. Nice try, ams, but as usual, FAIL!
November 20th, 2023 at 5:29:43 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
I’m in no bubble, that I can assure you. I don’t care exactly which municipality/toll/tax/fee the money came from. The money could be better spent. Or not ‘collected’ in the first place. I don’t actually remember where I read it. But I ‘think’ it was that right wing bastion, CNN. The article was very positive about the nets, mainly focusing on a suicide attempt survivor. Nice try, ams, but as usual, FAIL!

What would you have done to reduce suicide attempts off the Golden Gate?