In the News II

November 21st, 2023 at 8:14:56 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
Society only has so much resources (money). Suicide prevention is not the only item on the list of spends. Whatever money we decide to spend on mental health issues including suicide prevention should be budgeted to obtain the maximum effect. I am sure that we can get more bang for our buck than $217 million on one bridge to save 30 lives / year.

You guys simply do not understand how special districts work. They can only spend money on one bridge. It is the Golden Gate Bridge Special District, spending money on one bridge is literally their job. A special district for a specific bridge cannot spend money on "society."
November 22nd, 2023 at 4:34:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
You guys simply do not understand how special districts work. They can only spend money on one bridge. It is the Golden Gate Bridge Special District, spending money on one bridge is literally their job. A special district for a specific bridge cannot spend money on "society."

I TOTALLY. ‘Get it’. If the $217 million is collected through taxes/tolls/fees for that ‘special district’, I want them to lower those taxes/tolls/fees INSTEAD of HAVING that $217 million to waste on the nets for that one bridge. How come you can’t ‘get’ that!

And to correct what Kenarman wrote…. 30 less suicides per year at the GGB is NOT 30 less suicides per year. It is 30 more suicides per year at other bridges, buildings, methods. IT IS NOT THE EXISTENCE OF THE GGB that is leading to these suicides!!!!!!
November 22nd, 2023 at 5:01:47 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Kevin Hines is one of the few who survived jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

He says a sea lion kept him afloat until the Coast Guard pulled him from the water.
November 22nd, 2023 at 5:12:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I thought the rightwing idea is to let the people control the spending locally as much as possible? It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.

Some local communities outside large cities use speed traps to take advantage of the people from the large city and people going to the large city. They collect money because they have control of the area, or are ceded control by some agreement. They use the money wisely or unwisely.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:35:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
It precisely does, that is how special districts work. Also, the project was funded 5 (or 6 I guess) years ago, and is essentially done now (if you wanted to oppose it, doing it during public hearings -when it actually could have been altered or cancelled- would have been the proper time.) Why this sudden obsession with a local project that you are probably not funding? (I doubt you go over the Golden Gate Bridge regularly.)

Even if you convince everyone that this was a waste of money, and that homeless shelters should be built on the Golden Gate or such somehow, what mechanism is there to alter or cancel the project at this point in the timeline? (there is not one.) This is the absolute wrong time to be outraged about this project even if you think it is a waste of money (it is not, Golden Gate has the highest number of bridge suicides in the U.S. -possibly the world depending on which stats you follow, either way it is either 1 or 2 in the world - . )

People use the word, 'Outrage' in weird ways sometimes; I much doubt SOOPOO is outraged. I agree with SOOPOO that the 200 million could be better spent, if it must be spent at all, on projects that might benefit those who actually wish to remain alive.

Actually, you could break off a small piece of that 200 million and fund some sort of place in which medically-assisted suicides can take place. Two birds, one much cheaper stone.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:36:28 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: GenoDRPh
So at what price point is preventing a suicide cost effective?

Some amount equal to, or lesser than, the direct costs to the government of someone jumping off of the bridge multiplied by the expected number of people to do so over the time period in question.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:37:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

Oh. They should just eliminate the tolls, then.
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:39:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I thought the rightwing idea is to let the people control the spending locally as much as possible? It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.

Some local communities outside large cities use speed traps to take advantage of the people from the large city and people going to the large city. They collect money because they have control of the area, or are ceded control by some agreement. They use the money wisely or unwisely.

They can spend the money on anything they like and have whatever tolls they think the public will acquiesce. I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubt anyone is disputing their fundamental right, as a special district, to do that. We are simply opining on which we think is better.

Naturally, I don't actually care about what the GGB does. Of course, I wouldn't say very much if I didn't opine on things that I don't meaningfully care about.
November 22nd, 2023 at 7:35:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
They can spend the money on anything they like and have whatever tolls they think the public will acquiesce. I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubt anyone is disputing their fundamental right, as a special district, to do that. We are simply opining on which we think is better.

Naturally, I don't actually care about what the GGB does. Of course, I wouldn't say very much if I didn't opine on things that I don't meaningfully care about.

As far as running up costs, if i was in charge of big city where people have some project in mind, I'd put out the usual bids to contractors. But in addition, I'd also like an option that's let's say if the estimated cost is over 10 million (in some place like Sf, LA or NYc), then it automatically goes to the entire public for the next 3 months, with a 100k prize for anyone who can come up with a workable more cost-efficient option. The goal is save well over the payout of the 100k and also save the city money.

(I thought about doing the prize thing first, but I don't know. Maybe I think it should go to the pros first, then the public)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 22nd, 2023 at 8:13:31 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
I TOTALLY. ‘Get it’. If the $217 million is collected through taxes/tolls/fees for that ‘special district’, I want them to lower those taxes/tolls/fees INSTEAD of HAVING that $217 million to waste on the nets for that one bridge. How come you can’t ‘get’ that!

And to correct what Kenarman wrote…. 30 less suicides per year at the GGB is NOT 30 less suicides per year. It is 30 more suicides per year at other bridges, buildings, methods. IT IS NOT THE EXISTENCE OF THE GGB that is leading to these suicides!!!!!!

So says the admitted non-expert in public health.