The Trump Arrest thread

October 20th, 2023 at 6:00:36 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Could it be that their zeal for Trump blinded them to reality?

That seems to be pretty much the norm with these MAGA folk.
October 20th, 2023 at 6:13:44 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee
Could it be that their zeal for Trump blinded them to reality?

That seems to be pretty much the norm with these MAGA folk.

Practically everyone who worked in Trump's government or for him has their reputation permanently ruined.
October 20th, 2023 at 6:19:33 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: GenoDRPh
Practically everyone who worked in Trump's government or for him has their reputation permanently ruined.

Honest question: is there anyone high profile who worked for Donny’s administration who has come out unscathed?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 21st, 2023 at 7:13:52 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I have no sympathy for any lawyer caught up in all this. While I hold lawyers in high regard, lawyers know what the rules are and know not to break them.

Either that, or some lawyers know what the rules are, and therefore, know how to break them with plausible deniability. lol

I hold accountants in high esteem as well, especially at high-profile companies like Enron. Whatever happened to them, anyway?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 21st, 2023 at 7:18:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: ams288
Honest question: is there anyone high profile who worked for Donny’s administration who has come out unscathed?

Scaramucci probably came out of it for the better, but he was only in the Administration for about seven minutes. He makes regular TV appearances and everything. I don't know how anyone could ever look and listen to that guy and think he's anything but a modern day mob boss...but not a mob boss like the old school guys who actually had courage and honor, in many ways...just a rat fink p.o.s.

I kind of like him. He's funny. I guess he's 5'8"...I'd have thought 5'3" or something. His appearance is still very comical.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 21st, 2023 at 7:51:49 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: Mission146
Either that, or some lawyers know what the rules are, and therefore, know how to break them with plausible deniability. lol

I hold accountants in high esteem as well, especially at high-profile companies like Enron. Whatever happened to them, anyway?

If you're a lawyer and are caught breaking the lawyer rules, I have no sympathy. If you are an accountant (my father's lifelong profession) and are caught breaking the accounting rules, I have no sympathy. If you are a pharmacist (like me) and are caught breaking the pharmacist rules, I have no sympathy. Part and parcel to earning "professional" status is knowing what the rules are and self-policing so you don't break them.
October 21st, 2023 at 7:55:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Mission146

If you're a lawyer and are caught breaking the lawyer rules, I have no sympathy. If you are an accountant (my father's lifelong profession) and are caught breaking the accounting rules, I have no sympathy. If you are a pharmacist (like me) and are caught breaking the pharmacist rules, I have no sympathy. Part and parcel to earning "professional" status is knowing what the rules are and self-policing so you don't break them.

Just about every pharmacist broke the rules in the late-90's and early 2000's. Between the drug companies, doctors and pharmacists, we might as well just make all drugs completely legal...at least for personal use.

Maybe even for distribution? Why should the medical industrial complex have a monopoly on getting people addicted to opioids and mind-altering drugs?
October 21st, 2023 at 8:16:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was just thinking about the different ways people morally justify their actions. For instance, some people believe all kinds of normally unethical behavior is justified because they consider their cause so important that lying, cheating, even killing etc. is permissible to achieve it. Facts and truth are sacrificed for achieving the cause.

Except for very limited cases, I think that does more damage than good. If your cause is really so logical and obvious and moral, then you should believe the facts themselves should begin to convince more people than not. You rarely need to convince everyone anyway. You likely can never achieve that anyway. You just need the majority.

My limited case, is the one presented in an ethics class about lying about knowing where Anne Frank family is hiding when interrogated which I think is okay.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 21st, 2023 at 8:20:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have no sympathy for any lawyer caught up in all this. While I hold lawyers in high regard, lawyers know what the rules are and know not to break them.

I have known a few really shady lawyers. I used to work for one, thankfully he has since been disbarred.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 21st, 2023 at 8:37:21 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
When I was in business my accountant asked me what I wanted to pay in taxes? The obvious answer is nothing but I could tell he was leading me somewhere and asked him what he was actually getting at. He told me that everyone has different levels of risk tolerance. He told me he could make the taxes very low or possibly even $0 but there was a very high likelihood of being audited and pay a lot more and maybe some penalties. If I wanted him to guarantee no audits I would be paying too much in taxes. Somewhere in the middle was the correct place but that would vary from person to person.

The bottom line is the law isn't black and white and the law is always subject to interpretation no matter what your profession is. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't need any appeal courts.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin