Happy Easter!

Page 6 of 8« First<345678>
April 8th, 2021 at 5:53:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Bob I think we might just have to agree to disagree onnthis one. Our views of humanity are far apart from each other. I believe we are created with an innate desire to care for others and that we have to be taught how to be a rude, racist, or violent bully.

I do think that we fall short of what we want for ourselves and who we want to be. In that way I think we would agree that we are broken. This is why guilt is a natural feeling for us even if we aren't religious, we have to all wrestle with the bad news that we cannot even live up to our own standard. Anyone who says they are perfect should be ignored and prayed for.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 9th, 2021 at 9:26:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
we have to be taught how to be a rude, racist, or violent bully.

You really need to spend time in one
of your orphanages. Kids have to be
taught how to live in society or they
end up rude bullies. What do you
think 90% of parenting is, making
school lunches and tucking them
in at night? You have no clue..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2021 at 10:45:53 AM permalink
FrGamble
I think parenting is a lot of teaching, modeling, and reinforcing good behavior. I've seen the most amazing and charitable students who had awful upbringings both with and without parents. I've also met some of the rudest and mean students who had two loving parents. Yes, parents have to teach and form their kids but they are not evil people who need constant correction or they automatically become bullies. I still think to become a really bad person you have to be taught and shown how to because that is not natural. You have to be taught to deaden your conscience and ignore your guilt.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 9th, 2021 at 11:36:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
I've also met some of the rudest and mean students who had two loving parents... I still think to become a really bad person you have to be taught and shown how to because that is not natural.

So you're saying the loving parents taught
their kids how to be rude as mean? Why
would loving parents do that, you're not
making any sense. You're first sentence
contradicts your second sentence.

Kids end up rude and mean because they
were ignored, not because they were
taught to be like that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2021 at 4:44:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Sometimes parents can do their best but kids can still learn to be rude and mean. We are in agreement that you have to learn, a lot of times by being ignored, to be rude and mean. I don't think you naturally would become that way.
April 9th, 2021 at 5:27:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
We are in agreement that you have to learn, .

We are? You originally said the guilt is not learned, guilt is a natural human emotion that we are born with. I originally said no, guilt has to be learned, you have to be taught to feel guilty. Now we are in agreement that you have to learn it? Cool.

By the way, I was talking to my ex priest friend today as I do every Friday, and he said he was very much taught to feel guilty the whole time he was in seminary. He said it was drilled into his head.
April 9th, 2021 at 7:27:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
I was saying that we are in agreement that you have to be taught to be mean and rude. You had a good insight that often this is done when parents neglect their children. I am not saying guilt is learned, that is natural and built in us. We know that we shouldn't kick a dog or hurt another person, but whether we are taught not to or if we are not taught, we feel guilty when we do it. Over time we can try to convince ourselves not to feel guilty when we do something wrong but that leads to lots of other problems and is really just supressing something important in us and that is never a good idea.

Again your priest friend is wrong. We are not taught to be guilty. No one has to teach that, we do too good a job of it ourselves.
April 9th, 2021 at 10:32:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I was saying that we are in agreement that you have to be taught to be mean and rude. You had a good insight that often this is done when parents neglect their children. I am not saying guilt is learned, that is natural and built in us. We know that we shouldn't kick a dog or hurt another person, but whether we are taught not to or if we are not taught, we feel guilty when we do it. Over time we can try to convince ourselves not to feel guilty when we do something wrong but that leads to lots of other problems and is really just supressing something important in us and that is never a good idea.
What was the Vatican secretly doing digging a tunnel underneath Jerusalem ? https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/illegal-church-built-tunnel-on-mount-zion-concealed-by-the-city-661543
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 10th, 2021 at 9:41:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
you have to be taught to be mean and rude... I am not saying guilt is learned, that is natural and built in us. .

So you just pick and choose what is
learned and what is 'natural'? To
suit your convenience? And then
proclaim it to be true. OMG, it's
so fortunate for the world that
your Church is no longer in charge
of anything, we had hundreds of
years of this nonsense.

According to you my priest friend
is wrong about everything. Which
leads me to believe the opposite is
true. I'll tell him what you said and
he'll just shake his head..
April 16th, 2022 at 10:49:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter.

I do miss the forum and think often about everyone even though I'm not really involved anymore. I hope all are doing well. God Bless!
Page 6 of 8« First<345678>