Happy Easter!

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
April 4th, 2021 at 4:58:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
I can see why people say that. It's similar to how people think when someone does something nice for you they always seem to think they want or need something. Like there is some ulterior motive for their kindness, they want you to feel guilty so you will give them something or be kind to them, etc. I don't think that is the case in Christianity, what can we ever do for the perfect and all-mighty God? But nevertheless sometimes the faith is presented in a way just to make you feel guilty that Jesus did all this for you so you should love Him. It's interesting that Jesus never seems to say this. He is just more interested in blessing us and loving us unconsitionally, even His enemies.
How could He have enemies?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 4th, 2021 at 5:16:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
How could He have enemies?

Those who feel threatened by him.
The President is a fink.
April 4th, 2021 at 5:51:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I think you can say the Temple Priesthood managed some unkind thoughts toward Him.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 4th, 2021 at 7:55:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: odiousgambit
I think you can say the Temple Priesthood managed some unkind thoughts toward Him.
Suppose he got even?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 4th, 2021 at 11:25:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's interesting that Jesus never seems to say this.

He didn't have to, the guilt was built in. Your own real father can present you with a template of a lifestyle and an expectation from him that you will never live up to, that you can never live up to. He never has to mention the word guilt, or imply that you have to feel guilty if you fail. It's built in to his presentation. Just like guilt is built in to the Christian religion. It's what keeps people coming back. Guilt is how you control people.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 5th, 2021 at 3:50:31 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
Suppose he got even?
I've decided you were joshing us
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 5th, 2021 at 12:44:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I can see why people say that.

Have you ever read Growing Up Catholic? If so, I'm curious to your opinion of it. If not, I think you would like it as long as you have an open mind about mild jabs about Catholic culture.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 5th, 2021 at 2:49:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Have you ever read Growing Up Catholic? If so, I'm curious to your opinion of it. If not, I think you would like it as long as you have an open mind about mild jabs about Catholic culture.

Haha, you're funny. His open mind to me over the years when I write something negative that I read somewhere, FRG will say, Bob, where do you get these lies from? He told me once that Catholic Guilt was a lie made up by enemies of the Church.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 6th, 2021 at 10:36:02 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
He didn't have to, the guilt was built in. Your own real father can present you with a template of a lifestyle and an expectation from him that you will never live up to, that you can never live up to. He never has to mention the word guilt, or imply that you have to feel guilty if you fail. It's built in to his presentation. Just like guilt is built in to the Christian religion. It's what keeps people coming back. Guilt is how you control people.

So it is a bad thing to have good examples in life to live up to? What if that good model encourages and loves you even when you fail or struggle?

I don't think guilt is a controlling thing, I think shame is how you control people. The difference in my mind is that guilt convicts you to want to be better and make amends (a good thing). Shame is when we think our mistakes define us and we despair that we can ever get better (a very terrible thing). Guilt can be motivating and positive while shame is demoralizing and always negative.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 6th, 2021 at 4:46:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
So it is a bad thing to have good examples in life to live up to?

Not if the goals are unattainable but you're
told they are attainable. That just leads to
frustration and neurotic behavior, as is
experienced by many Xtians.

I don't think guilt is a controlling thing,/q]

Uh Huh.

"Guilt is the most destructive emotion. It opens up the possibility of feeling
every other negative emotion whilst simultaneously crippling self-esteem
and leading to wild underestimations of your self-worth..."

Guilt is very much a controlling thing. Parents use it to control their children. Religious leaders use it to control the flock. The thing about guilt is, there is no place you can go to get rid of it. That's why it is so destructive. To purposely make others feel guilty should be a crime. Because in some small way you're making that person's life worse, not better. I'm usually very careful with my actions because I don't want to feel guilty later that I didn't do my best at the time.
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »