Getting real tired of Kamala Harris already.

November 8th, 2021 at 6:19:59 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
EB: you need a more recent picture of kommie-la

Let's go Brandon
November 8th, 2021 at 7:13:43 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: OnceDear
Indeed, a lame-brain question. But it still has some way to go to beat putting UV lights and disinfectants inside you to kill Covid. At a live international press conference.

If ‘Environmental Justice’ should mean anything, it should focus on the big picture achievables. Clean water for rich and poor communities alike: A non-corrupt EPA working strategically so that wealthy industrials don't pollute poor neighbourhoods first. Not about a bl00dy tree distribution disparity survey from space.

We never saw much of Pence when he was VP. Indeed the only times I remember were when he led prayers and when he touched the NASA component with 'Do Not Touch' sign on it after a dare from Rubio.

https://time.com/4848951/mike-pence-nasa-do-not-touch/

Face it all politicians, All humans say and do daft things. And they are in the savagely critical public eye 24/7. We should not take them too seriously in isolation, but equally your leaders should be far more careful that such gaffes are rare.

Now, a more serious question might be.... What the heck is she working on, and how is it going? Serious question. I never see her in your media, just like I never saw much of Pence.

Does the US have any competent politicians with strength, character, integrity and intelligence? Any? Either party?

I'm going to rank both questions as being almost equally stupid. Harris' question is slightly more stupid (in my opinion) because Trump could at least hide behind the sarcasm defense...where everything about Harris' tone and posture suggests that she was legitimately curious.

Jo Jorgensen has all of those qualities, but she's a Libertarian, so she never had a chance. Gary Johnson was also great, though no stranger to the occasional gaffe.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 8th, 2021 at 7:25:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Tanko
Under NYC law, property owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalk in front of their home, but the city controls the sidewalks. The property owner doe not have the right to plant or replace a tree on the sidewalk in front of their home. Only the city can do that.The city can plant a tree on your sidewalk any time it wants. It can cut out a ten foot wide section the new concrete you just paid for, and plant a tree, or install a bus shelter. If you have a sick or dead tree standing on the sidewalk in front of your property, the city will remove and replace it at no cost. In the past eight years, NYC planted 155,000 trees on the sidewalks.

What does any of that have to do with planting trees on the property you own. Of course the city can plant trees on the property it owns but not on your property. You have to do that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 8th, 2021 at 7:36:08 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: OnceDear

If ‘Environmental Justice’ should mean anything, it should focus on the big picture achievables. Clean water for rich and poor communities alike: A non-corrupt EPA working strategically so that wealthy industrials don't pollute poor neighbourhoods first. Not about a bl00dy tree distribution disparity survey from space.

So if you are struggling industrial company then you are allowed to pollute I guess? They only get to pollute the poor neighbourhoods after they pollute the rich neighbourhoods? What are you trying to tell us 'OD' other than your lefty rich are bad position.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 8th, 2021 at 7:46:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Here's the thing: There is going to be something of a racial disparity (by necessity) when it comes to trees in neighborhoods, if you're looking at nationwide numbers.

The reason why is pretty simple: here's a USDA pie graph that breaks down racial demographics between rural and urban areas:

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/gallery/chart-detail/?chartId=99538

Native American aside, we find that minorities make up some 19.6% of the rural population whereas minorities make up 42.3% of the urban population. This is based on 2018 numbers, but I don't imagine it has changed that dramatically.

Kamala Harris may be unfamiliar with what makes an area rural or suburban as opposed to what makes an area urban. One tendency of urban areas is that they tend to have high population density, as well as many buildings and other structures...which is kind of what the definition of, "Urban," is.

Therefore, if there are more minorities in urban areas than rural ones, and urban areas (by definition) are going to have fewer trees, (I don't know how you would measure that---trees per person?) then you're going to have a situation in which, by whatever measurement, areas with greater concentrations of minorities are going to tend to have fewer trees than areas with lesser concentrations of minorities.

Is that a failure of Environmental Justice? Obviously not. I would say the only way that you could measure such a thing, as if it would actually prove anything, is that you would need to go by the number of trees in the same city based on the demographics of particular areas of town. After that, you would then have to differentiate between trees put there by the Government/City, as opposed to trees that are naturally occurring.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 8th, 2021 at 7:51:49 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mission146
Here's the thing: There is going to be something of a racial disparity (by necessity) when it comes to trees in neighborhoods, if you're looking at nationwide numbers.

The reason why is pretty simple: here's a USDA pie graph that breaks down racial demographics between rural and urban areas:

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/gallery/chart-detail/?chartId=99538

Native American aside, we find that minorities make up some 19.6% of the rural population whereas minorities make up 42.3% of the urban population. This is based on 2018 numbers, but I don't imagine it has changed that dramatically.

Kamala Harris may be unfamiliar with what makes an area rural or suburban as opposed to what makes an area urban. One tendency of urban areas is that they tend to have high population density, as well as many buildings and other structures...which is kind of what the definition of, "Urban," is.

Therefore, if there are more minorities in urban areas than rural ones, and urban areas (by definition) are going to have fewer trees, (I don't know how you would measure that---trees per person?) then you're going to have a situation in which, by whatever measurement, areas with greater concentrations of minorities are going to tend to have fewer trees than areas with lesser concentrations of minorities.

Is that a failure of Environmental Justice? Obviously not. I would say the only way that you could measure such a thing, as if it would actually prove anything, is that you would need to go by the number of trees in the same city based on the demographics of particular areas of town. After that, you would then have to differentiate between trees put there by the Government/City, as opposed to trees that are naturally occurring.

Another factor is urban areas will have a higher percentage of renters. Renters aren't planting trees.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 8th, 2021 at 7:56:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: kenarman

Another factor is urban areas will have a higher percentage of renters. Renters aren't planting trees.

That's a fair point, but it doesn't necessarily stop the property owners from planting trees. I would imagine that having a tree or two could increase the physical attractiveness of the property, and therefore, the property value. Of course, any increased rents that could come as a result of that might be partially offset by the fact that the insurance on the house could be higher predicated upon the fact that the tree falling, or being struck by lightning, could present a potential hazard to house and any occupants.
November 8th, 2021 at 12:21:57 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
What does any of that have to do with planting trees on the property you own. Of course the city can plant trees on the property it owns but not on your property. You have to do that.

NYC homeowners own their property, sidewalk and all, up to the curb. However, the city alone regulates the sidewalks. Even though I own the sidewalk and am responsible for maintaining it in good repair, and can get sued if someone is injured falling on my sidewalk, the city can plant or remove trees on my property without my permission.
November 8th, 2021 at 12:24:33 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Is the city responsible for all tree activity, or can community action committees or community councils be formed that might petition the city for the right to plant trees on the sidewalk absent the city itself doing it?
November 8th, 2021 at 5:20:06 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Now that kommie-la hair-ass has solved the United States' border problem, she is going to Europe to solve theirs. LOL LOL

Let's go Brandon