The Biden Presidency 2021

March 9th, 2021 at 6:07:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
You actually think the GOP senators stayed and listened to the clerks read the bill?

Absolutely not. That being said, I have no fundamental disagreement with the notion of bills being read aloud before being voted upon. I would speculate that's the only chance of the bill being read (in full) at all---by anyone.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 9th, 2021 at 6:40:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
Absolutely not. That being said, I have no fundamental disagreement with the notion of bills being read aloud before being voted upon. I would speculate that's the only chance of the bill being read (in full) at all---by anyone.

Wrong. There are ‘staffers’ who I am sure read the entire thing. Plus other ‘staffers’ who were assigned to read specific sections. Then these low level ‘staffers’ report to higher level ‘staffers’. Then the higher level ‘staffer’ will report a fact or two to the Senator, and the Senator will then vote along party lines. That’s how the system works.

If it ‘only’ took 10 hours to read aloud, probably half that for ‘staffer’ to read it in toto.
March 9th, 2021 at 6:49:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Wrong. There are ‘staffers’ who I am sure read the entire thing. Plus other ‘staffers’ who were assigned to read specific sections. Then these low level ‘staffers’ report to higher level ‘staffers’. Then the higher level ‘staffer’ will report a fact or two to the Senator, and the Senator will then vote along party lines. That’s how the system works.

If it ‘only’ took 10 hours to read aloud, probably half that for ‘staffer’ to read it in toto.

Reading specific sections is not reading the entire bill in full. Perhaps there are a handful of staffers who do read the entire thing, so I'll grant that.

I definitely agree that's how the system works; I just don't see why reading the full bill on the Senate floor is a, "Stall tactic." I understand why it's being derided as a stall tactic on this occasion, but in general, they should have to read the full bills on the respective floors.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 9th, 2021 at 6:51:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Wrong. There are ‘staffers’ who I am sure read the entire thing. .

Lets not forget the Lobby industry in DC
They probably study these bills with a microscope
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 9th, 2021 at 6:59:09 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Here he is yesterday, forgetting the name of his Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austin. That 'outfit over there' is The Pentagon. Our President forgot the name of that too.

Then he forgot his mask. Again.

March 9th, 2021 at 7:09:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Here he is yesterday, forgetting the name of his Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austin. That 'outfit over there' is The Pentagon. Our President forgot the name of that too.

Yawn
President Jill Biden is doing fine
The country is in great hands
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 9th, 2021 at 1:55:06 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko

Then he forgot his mask. Again.

Must really suck for Republicans/Trump supporters to keep latching onto this idea that their "stable genius" got beat by a guy with dementia who has higher approval numbers than the genius ever enjoyed.

That's how terrible of a president Donald Trump was.
March 10th, 2021 at 3:26:52 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Well, that was faster than even I expected:

GOP politician already trying to take credit for the stimulus bill he voted against.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 11th, 2021 at 10:23:22 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
What a disaster and crisis dementia joe bidumb has created at the southern US border.

You know it is bad when the DHS chief requests volunteers to help at southern border and Mexico’s President is also sounding the alarm…

GREAT JOB dementia joe bidumb

Robert Gates, Obama defense secretary quote about dementia joe bidumb: “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades."

Obama quote about dementia joe bidumb: "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to ---- things up.”

P.S. They should have left the dogs in the White House and banished dementia joe bidumb to Delaware.
Let's go Brandon
March 11th, 2021 at 10:45:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
President Biden will sign the COVID relief bill any moment now.

It is more popular than anything Donny did in his four pitiful years as POTUS.

Next Friday Biden and Kamala will travel to Atlanta for a victory lap highlighting the benefits of the bill (after all, without GA, there would be no bill).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman