Stop the Steal!

Thread Rating:

January 12th, 2021 at 2:48:35 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Oh, an abstention, if the senator is present, is effectively a no vote. With all present, they need 67 yesses.

If however they are absent from the vote, it's different. This extreme example makes the math easier:
Say 49 senators are absent, everyone else is present. 51 senators is a quorum, and they would need 38 yesses to convict, if, from what I heard is true, that they need a 2/3 vote of those present, rather than 2/3 vote of the whole senate.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 12th, 2021 at 2:55:28 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Dalex64

I suppose they better count the votes.

I know what you mean. But of course that makes a mockery of the process. Remember, this is supposed to be a TRIAL. You know, the prosecution presents its case. Then the defense presents its case. Then the jury (Senators) vote guilty or not guilty.

The fact that one could even THINK about asking people how they would vote before both sides get to present evidence is all you need to know about how fairly they plan on treating the accused.

How many do you think will answer this way.... "After hearing the prosecution's case and the defense's as well, I will decide then...." I expect a few Republicans, and ZERO Democrats....
January 12th, 2021 at 3:39:57 PM permalink
Dalex64
Yeah well that goes both ways. There are also those who would vote no, no matter what. If there are 34 no votes, no matter what, then the whole thing is just a public spectacle and a waste of time.

If they know going in that there is no way to get a conviction, then why waste important time during the first 100 days?

Heck, even if there is a chance for conviction, it still might be worth de-prioritizing and waiting, since the only real penalty for conviction will be banning future federal office, so no hurry there. There is stuff about a pension and secret service protection too, but with "removal from office" moot, there shouldn't be a need for any rush.

As for the more important things, I guess in the past, between the election and innaguration, there have been confirmation hearings, with the votes scheduled in the days immediately following the innaguration. This time, there have been none, and with the senate out of session until the day before, there will be none.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 12th, 2021 at 3:59:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

I understand the idea of the 100 day delay, to get key people confirmed and top legislative priorities moving, especially when you believe that there was no way there would be a conviction anyway.

Please explain how you understand the idea of impeaching a guy no longer in office. I would love to hear that.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2021 at 4:08:59 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Please explain how you understand the idea of impeaching a guy no longer in office. I would love to hear that.

Notice how the righties don’t say “He did nothing wrong! It was a perfect incitement!” this time around?

They just whine about the timeline.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 12th, 2021 at 4:13:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Wanna bet? I bet that there ABSOLUTELY will be NO riots that make 'the capitol riot seem minor'. I am willing to let YOU be the sole judge as to who wins the bet.

I expect that there might be some civil unrest, but it will not approach the 50th worst BLM riot. I would bet on that also, just harder to determine a winner. Not that there aren't bad actors who want what you expect, but i think the authorities will be prepared to crush them like the vermin they are.

I consider the storming of the Capitol the worst 'riot' in my lifetime. Not measured by loss of life or physical damage, but in its overall importance.

I expect there will be gun violence and it won't surprise me if there are explosives set off at a state capitol building or two.

I heard on CNBC that the FBI or secret service believe they have disrupted three different terror plots already for next week.5
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 12th, 2021 at 4:35:15 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: SOOPOO
I can assume Senators can abstain from voting in an impeachment trial? If so, I'll bet there are a few chicken shit Republicans who will do so.

When Bill Clinton was impeached, every Senator voted either "guilty" or "not guilty" except... Senator Arlen Specter who voted "not proven." Profile in courage!
January 12th, 2021 at 4:36:25 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman

The House vote will likely occur before January 20. The Senate trial is a different story though...
January 12th, 2021 at 4:41:32 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: reno
The House vote will likely occur before January 20. The Senate trial is a different story though...

Yeah, I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept.
January 12th, 2021 at 5:02:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Joint Chiefs have announced that the riot was a direct assault on Democracy and that Joe Biden will be the next President.

So anyway, you have some serious backup if things get out of control.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?