Stop the Steal!

Thread Rating:

January 14th, 2021 at 11:24:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
To tell the truth, if there had been a big crowd but only minor skirmishes Trump wouldn't have been impeached.

If 50 people had died and thousands injured Trump would have been impeached/convicted or removed, no question.

It kind of went in between for Trump.

Nothing happened like that when Nancy said it. That may not be how it supposed to work, but I think that's probably the way it actually works.

Justice is supposed to be blind, but impeachment is still mostly political. Several Republicans actually decided it was better to give up the political for the common good. Not enough in my opinion, but at least some.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2021 at 12:58:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
The right-wingers own all the guns.
The left-wingers own all the big websites.

If I need to, I can go out and buy a gun.
Can you go out and build a competitor to Twitter, Amazon, Google, YouTube, Facebook, Apple, Netflix?

The competitors are starting to happen and 2020 might be seen as their peak. Even if competitors emerge I can see the big boys being declared "common carriers" and not allowed to censor what they do not like for no reason. Sort of like a utility cannot shut off power to someone they do not like as long as they pay.
The President is a fink.
January 14th, 2021 at 1:09:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
May 2017? When she wasn’t even Speaker? I’m going to go ahead and enforce the “false equivalency expiration date” on this one. Next time please feign outrage in a more timely manner.

You got me. I’ll change my post to list her as ex speaker of the house, which she was at the time. Really makes a difference..... (not!!!!)

Rx does have a point. Let’s say the rioters and insurrectionists did what the President said, which was to peacefully protest. Just a news story. Or the riot still happened but the Capitol Police killed a bunch of rioters and they never breached the Capitol... under both those circumstances NO WAY Trump gets impeached.

I can’t remember which of the 10 Republicans who voted to impeach said it.... but to me it is likely the most ‘honest’ way to convict.... He DID NOT blame Trump for the violence starting, but he DID blame Trump for not defending the Republic from ‘all threats, both foreign and domestic’, when he did nothing for a few hours after the assault began.

It will be interesting to see if the impeachment managers go that route.

And as usual, the TDS sufferers are saying ‘what Pelosi did isn’t as bad as what Trump did”. “Pelosi is not as hypocritical as Trump.” “Her reason is more ok enough to cast doubt on the election than Trump’s”. Pelosi is a bad actor. Ok, not as bad as Trump, but few are. It is sad that some forum members defend her.....
January 14th, 2021 at 2:06:11 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
It is sad that some forum members defend her.....

Context and details matter.
January 14th, 2021 at 2:09:34 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tripdufan
Context and details matter.

Not if you’re looking for an easy deflection.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 14th, 2021 at 2:20:55 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Not if you’re looking for an easy deflection.

No deflection. I think I’ve said Trump is the worst man ever to be President. That his not conceding to Biden is a giant embarrassment for our country. That his overall behavior is generally reprehensible. I just point out that Pelosi sucks too.
January 14th, 2021 at 2:28:30 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Quote: gamerfreak
There is a HUGE difference between claiming that foreign governments attempted to influence an election, and claiming that an entire election is fraudulent and the loser in fact won, in a landslide no less.

Ya think?
January 14th, 2021 at 3:35:21 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Whoever came up with this headline deserves a raise:

The Guy Who Flew a Confederate Flag in the Capitol Has Predictably Surrendered
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 14th, 2021 at 4:08:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This may be one of the most ridiculous things I have seen today:

https://www.businessinsider.com/giuliani-claims-trial-by-combat-comment-game-of-thrones-reference-2021-1

"I was referencing the kind of trial that took place for Tyrion in that very famous documentary about fictitious medieval England. When Tyrion, who is a very small man, is accused of murder. He didn't commit murder, he can't defend himself, and he hires a champion to defend him." -Rudy Giuliani

'Nearly a week after calling for "trial by combat" at the Washington, DC, rally that directly preceded the riot at the US Capitol, Rudy Giuliani says he was just making a "Game of Thrones" reference and not calling for a violent battle. ' -Article

Game of thrones a "famous documentary" about "ficticous England"? Its almost hard to tell if this guy really is so out of touch or is just intentionally becoming a self-caricature for views. I doubt that he could even point to Dorne on a map.
January 14th, 2021 at 4:20:16 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Quote: Gandler
I doubt that he could even point to Dorne on a map.

lol