Lovely QATAR Airways

Page 4 of 6<123456>
October 28th, 2020 at 11:38:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Do humans deserve rights not afforded to other mammals? If so, why?

Darwin
Eat or be eaten
I choose to eat
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 28th, 2020 at 11:44:21 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Darwin
Eat or be eaten
I choose to eat

That is not a right. That is self preservation. A very selfish attitude. Why do humans deserve to live at the expense of others?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 28th, 2020 at 12:05:00 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Do humans deserve rights not afforded to other mammals? If so, why?

To some degree yes (it varies depending on what animal and what rights you are speaking of).

I have no idea what that has to do with Qatar being backwards.
It is a society that treats humans worse than the West. It treats other animals poorly as well...
October 28th, 2020 at 12:09:30 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Gandler
To some degree yes (it varies depending on what animal and what rights you are speaking of).

It is a society that treats humans worse than the West. It treats other animals poorly as well...

Why do humans deserve rights not afforded to other species? Humans have the perception that they are more important than others and I don't understand why?

I personally don't believe a human life is any more important than that of another animal. Actually, I don't believe any lives hold importance.
October 28th, 2020 at 12:26:00 PM permalink
Gandler
Why do humans deserve rights not afforded to other species? Humans have the perception that they are more important than others and I don't understand why?

I personally don't believe a human life is any more important than that of another animal. Actually, I don't believe any lives hold importance.

I am honestly not sure if you are trolling or trying to make an obtuse point.

What do animal rights have to do with the actions of Qatar?

Nobody even made that comparison before you bizarrely brought it up?

Why do animals have more rights than plants?
Why do plants have more rights than fungi?
October 28th, 2020 at 12:31:46 PM permalink
DRich
I am honestly not sure if you are trolling or trying to make an obtuse point.

What do animal rights have to do with the actions of Qatar?

Nobody even made that comparison before you bizarrely brought it up?

Why do animals have more rights than plants?
Why do plants have more rights than fungi?

I guess the point I was trying to make, obviously poorly, is right and wrong is arbitrary. To say what they are doing in Qatar is wrong is based on what? The principles of the West? Who says that our principles are any better than theirs? Why do people deserve rights? Who is defining the appropriate rights?

Sadly, we tend to believe the popular opinion is the right opinion, sadly I believe most people are morons so why would we listen to them?
October 28th, 2020 at 12:42:53 PM permalink
Gandler
I guess the point I was trying to make, obviously poorly, is right and wrong is arbitrary. To say what they are doing in Qatar is wrong is based on what? The principles of the West? Who says that our principles are any better than theirs? Why do people deserve rights? Who is defining the appropriate rights?

Sadly, we tend to believe the popular opinion is the right opinion, sadly I believe most people are morons so why would we listen to them?

Join the book debate in the other thread "Rights from Wrongs", a solid book on potential orgins for rights.

What they are doing in Qatar is wrong based on the principles of equality (that men and women should have the same level of privacy and protections) even if you don't agree with Western Values.
October 28th, 2020 at 12:48:03 PM permalink
DRich
Join the book debate in the other thread "Rights from Wrongs", a solid book on potential orgins for rights.

What they are doing in Qatar is wrong based on the principles of equality (that men and women should have the same level of privacy and protections) even if you don't agree with Western Values.

If they don't believe that men and women deserve equal rights, why should they treat them equally is it because we say so? Why are we anymore right than they are?

There is no right and wrong, only personal opinions.
October 28th, 2020 at 1:01:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

We are a little hard on Reuters reporters to wouldn't you say?

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 28th, 2020 at 1:21:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: petroglyph
We are a little hard on Reuters reporters to wouldn't you say?

You are reaching.

If we targeted Reuters journalists because of their reporting that would be a valid comparison. If they were killed as unfortunate collateral damage due to willingly going into hostile territory, there is not much that can be done.

That video was also leaked by Assange who more or less works for Putin now....
Page 4 of 6<123456>