The City on Fire

June 19th, 2020 at 8:15:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
I have hired anesthesiologists for 30 years. ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY experience trumps the degree. NOT EVEN CLOSE! The guy out 5 years from East Butt University who has great references versus the new Harvard grad? I'll take East Butt any day!

I would too. But that wasn't the issue. It wasn't about actual job experience.

They were talking about eliminating courses at university level that don't apply to the job.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2020 at 8:26:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Oh, you were speaking as "experts" when I chimed in. I didn't realize that. You're an expert eh?

Lets see I managed a business for 5.5 years and hired about 10 people a year and interviewed easily 100 per year so yes I think I am pretty experienced at the process.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2020 at 8:45:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Lets see I managed a business for 5.5 years and hired about 10 people a year and interviewed easily 100 per year so yes I think I am pretty experienced at the process.

Well, apparently reading comprehension wasn't required because you thought I claimed to be an expert.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2020 at 9:19:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Oh, so I've managed more unique businesses, for a longer total period of time (longer cumulative time just at the one where I spent the most time) and hired more people, but probably conducted fewer interviews, in fairness. Am I now a human resources expert?

I don't think of myself like that. I think, when it comes to small businesses, managers do basically everything.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 19th, 2020 at 10:10:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Oh, so I've managed more unique businesses, for a longer total period of time (longer cumulative time just at the one where I spent the most time) and hired more people, but probably conducted fewer interviews, in fairness. Am I now a human resources expert?

I don't think of myself like that. I think, when it comes to small businesses, managers do basically everything.

You would be more of one than someone who hired 2 people and was not in a management capacity.

I did basically everything when I managed. It kind of amazed me when I got to a bigger place and they just turned things over to HR.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2020 at 11:10:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I have hired anesthesiologists for 30 years. ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY experience trumps the degree.

When I was hiring a bartender I would
pick a guy with 10 years experience
all day long over a guy who just
got out of bartending school. For
one thing, the older guy will have
references. The kid hasn't realized
yet how easy it is to steal from
the till. I would have to watch him
like a hawk and pay people to watch
him when I'm not there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 19th, 2020 at 11:41:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
When I was hiring a bartender I would
pick a guy with 10 years experience
all day long over a guy who just
got out of bartending school. For
one thing, the older guy will have
references. The kid hasn't realized
yet how easy it is to steal from
the till. I would have to watch him
like a hawk and pay people to watch
him when I'm not there.

Références or previous employers? I’ve never called a reference and never would. I can’t imagine they’d be putting someone on there who has anything bad to say.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 19th, 2020 at 11:50:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
You would be more of one than someone who hired 2 people and was not in a management capacity.

I did basically everything when I managed. It kind of amazed me when I got to a bigger place and they just turned things over to HR.

Yeah, it also depends on the type of business.

I didn’t care about varied this, that and the other. I’d never call a reference. I didn’t really concern myself with previous experience...though it was sometimes a bonus. Usually if you worked a similar job and weren’t there long, I would be instantly suspicious of you.

More than anything, the types of places I managed, I’d be most worried about attendance and thoroughness. A good gauge of thoroughness was whether or not everything on the application was spelled correctly, did they put the correct addresses for previous employers, did they put the correct phone numbers and did they fill out all of the relevant sections?

Assuming all of that was proper, virtually every single interview question was geared towards getting them to hint that they’d be a call-off problem. When it comes to hotels, it matters, because your job can very easily become part of my job that day if you call off. At the telemarketing place, it mattered, because not meeting our contracted calling hours with our main client leaves money on the table...and you want as few of the hours as possible to be OT.
June 19th, 2020 at 11:53:58 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
So we are now firing relatives of people who are alleged to have committed a crime

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8440383/Stepmom-Atlanta-cop-charged-Rayshard-Brooks-death-fired-job.html
June 19th, 2020 at 11:57:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: aceofspades
So we are now firing relatives of people who are alleged to have committed a crime

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8440383/Stepmom-Atlanta-cop-charged-Rayshard-Brooks-death-fired-job.html

Rehabilitate criminals with extensive counseling.

Fire relatives of people yet to even be charged with a crime.

Makes total sense.

On the bright side, her inevitable lawsuit should be a slam dunk.