The City on Fire

June 15th, 2020 at 9:38:54 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
...Someone running away...

I don't pretend to know the right answer in this case; this is not a George Floyd situation because Floyd was killed after being controlled..That should never happen.

This is a person who was at one moment peacefully placing his hand behind his back to be arrested; the next, he was beating up a cop and stealing a weapon from the officer.

I think it is time to let the investigation play out. What was the officer's training in this situation? Was he aware of any history of violence on the part of the person? Did the person actually aim the weapon at him?

I've heard some say they should have "just let him walk home"...yes, that used to happen. I was on a ride along where an officer had me help push an obviously drunk man's car home when he ran out of gas. That was then. This is now...drunk driving has been, rightfully, moved to a level of much more enforcement.

The truth is that they could not just let him walk home and he escalated the situation.

I want to know more once the case is actually properly investigated.
June 15th, 2020 at 9:45:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
A better comparison is how an anesthesiologist trains so sudden emergencies don't get the best of him.

That was the cop's wheelhouse. Someone running away. They had his name, his car, and knew where he lived from all that. Could have just run at a distance to avoid the taser shot. He still had his gun if the guy came charging back at him.

You don't need the wheels of justice to grind quickly. There was no hurry. They were gonna grind. I presume they didn't find he was a violent criminal when they ran his license.

You could be holding a copy of my Drivers License right now and you would be wrong if you tried to guess where I live.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 15th, 2020 at 9:46:36 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Now Rolling Stone is publishing a piece calling for the end of Olivia Benson...because she presents as a "good cop"....
June 15th, 2020 at 10:17:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
You could be holding a copy of my Drivers License right now and you would be wrong if you tried to guess where I live.

That just means it would take longer to find you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 15th, 2020 at 10:34:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Assuming this guy wouldn't be found, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Do Warrants Eventually Expire If Police Do Not Arrest You?
As the inquisitive reader to this article may realize, a judge can issue a bench warrant and police may never find the person who the judge wants to see.

Our office once had a client who had a bench warrant outstanding for 42 years. A judge in Pomona had issued a bench warrant when our then 19-year-old client failed to appear in court. Our client moved to a town on the Arizona-California border and never heard anything about the warrant until one day when stopped for speeding. The officer told him that our client had a bench warrant outstanding in Pomona. Our client was astonished, as he did remember the case, but had been stopped multiple times without ever being told by police about this warrant.

In other words, bench warrants do not expire. They are not automatically deleted after, for example, five years if the police fail to find the subject of the warrant. Indeed, the warrant will remain outstanding until the subject dies, unless the judge otherwise recalls or quashes it for some other reason.

This reality has become increasingly clear to many as Live Scan and other criminal history databases have recently increased their records to reach back into the late 1970’s now (mid-2016). We have had clients from outside California call us to resolve bench warrants they did not even know existed for cases in Torrance, Long Beach, Inglewood, Compton
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 15th, 2020 at 10:57:53 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Thanks for the anesthesiologist analogy! I have seen partners respond poorly to an extremely stressful situation, and I'm guessing someone would say the same about me! It is the nature of being human, like these cops are. Just having had the criminal out wrestle two of you, remove one of your weapons, aiming (and apparently even firing!?) it at you, your weapon is drawn and you start firing. perhaps there were a few milliseconds where you could have not fired as he was turning away? If we hold ANYONE to such a standard there will be no humans who can fill the role. Fortunately, there is a REAL example of excessive force used by the police in the George Floyd case. People trying to make every case of a criminal dying at the hands of the police as a wrongful death are doing way more harm than good.
June 15th, 2020 at 11:19:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288
Everyone picks and chooses what they care about.

For conservative men, BURNING BUILDINGS always seems to be near the top of the list. Systemic racism? Nah.... can't be bothered over that one.

Don't we have two other people on here who said they don't really value humans in general? And we've got others who practically dismiss all racial issues.

I haven't found a single person on here who I totally agree with. I agree a lot more with some than others though. Of course, that's not really a surprise.

I've already bored with the whole thought.
June 15th, 2020 at 11:41:35 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288
This hurts my feelings. 😔

Ahh I'm sorry do you need a hug?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 15th, 2020 at 12:41:43 PM permalink
rxwine
I think police should have something like the miranda statement to confirm before arresting non-violent offenses.

"Do you agree to be peacefully arrested and handcuffed without resistance?" Get a confirmation.

It makes for a stronger case for police even if things go out of control. When you have the guy saying he is going peacefully then doesn't it's going to be tough to defend himself no matter what happens.

If you're already dealing with a violent person, or a record of violent behavior, or a crime of sufficient impact then you can ignore that step.
June 15th, 2020 at 1:21:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I think police should have something like the miranda statement to confirm before arresting non-violent offenses.

"Do you agree to be peacefully arrested and handcuffed without resistance?" Get a confirmation.

It makes for a stronger case for police even if things go out of control. When you have the guy saying he is going peacefully then doesn't it's going to be tough to defend himself no matter what happens.

If you're already dealing with a violent person, or a record of violent behavior, or a crime of sufficient impact then you can ignore that step.

Police already have to say Miranda for all arrests including "non-violent offenses".

Asking for consent to arrest would be silly and redundant.

Plus the types to resist arrest would either consent then resist to throw the cop off guard or just not consent. I am not sure how that policy would change anything other than add a redundant step to M arrest?