The City on Fire

July 23rd, 2020 at 12:41:12 PM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 7
Posts: 1408
Chicago 12,000 cops and 117,000 gang members
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
July 23rd, 2020 at 1:02:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 144
Posts: 10256
Quote: RonC
Chicago 12,000 cops and 117,000 gang members


Lower the penalties for crimes against convicted gang members.

You've got this big power base. Just turn it against itself.
Trump says his supporters are dumber than a sack of rocks
July 23rd, 2020 at 1:29:23 PM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 7
Posts: 1408
The peaceful protest in Portland featured the mayor, who was supporting the peaceful protest, being heckled (okay) and struck with foreign objects.

These folks are stuck on stupid. When someone turns against the government and attacks the very people who support their peaceful protest, they aren't going to stop at trying to hurt just those YOU think they are after. These folks want to tear down ALL government and destroy the country.

They are such nice people. Go ahead and support them...they'll turn on you, too!
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
July 23rd, 2020 at 1:58:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 144
Posts: 10256
Quote: RonC
The peaceful protest in Portland featured the mayor, who was supporting the peaceful protest, being heckled (okay) and struck with foreign objects.

These folks are stuck on stupid. When someone turns against the government and attacks the very people who support their peaceful protest, they aren't going to stop at trying to hurt just those YOU think they are after. These folks want to tear down ALL government and destroy the country.

They are such nice people. Go ahead and support them...they'll turn on you, too!


Is there any way to control who shows up at the RIGHT to peacefully protest at a Federal building?

There's no party crasher law, so to speak. You want to exercise your right, but you can't control who else shows up.

You shouldn't have to give up your right because violent people want to show up? You can't legally fight people to stop it.
Trump says his supporters are dumber than a sack of rocks
July 23rd, 2020 at 2:24:29 PM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 7
Posts: 1408
Quote: rxwine
Is there any way to control who shows up at the RIGHT to peacefully protest at a Federal building?

There's no party crasher law, so to speak. You want to exercise your right, but you can't control who else shows up.

You shouldn't have to give up your right because violent people want to show up? You can't legally fight people to stop it.


Sadly, I don't know how you protect the "peaceful protesters" from the folks who want to destroy things. It isn't like they show up in uniforms of their squad, though some do don apparel naming their group. The thugs are more nefarious than that...they blend in as much as they can until the start the trouble. Then everyone gets some gas. If the peaceful protesters slammed a few anarchists to the ground, then they wouldn't be maintaining their peaceful protest.

Can you define what people can bring to the protest area? We have a right to free speech, but does that cover the right to carry dangerous objects? Fireworks are likely illegal in the city (they are in many cities at least). A water bottle is harmless until hurled...more harmful if frozen. Laser pointers are dangerous and small.

If the local police are allowing it to happen based on their boss telling them to, that makes it even harder for the Feds.

Perhaps if the actual peaceful protesters turned their protest noise towards the anarchists and got attacked, the Mayor would protect them...but I am not sure of that.

No wonder people who live in Oregon who live away from the Coast want to secede and be added to Idaho. They've got a bunch of dummies running their state and those dummies have the votes, so they can't stop them. Interesting...that makes a damned good argument for not screwing with the Electoral College. At least the little states have some power unlike the little (population wise) counties...
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
July 23rd, 2020 at 2:58:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 144
Posts: 10256
Quote: RonC
Sadly, I don't know how you protect the "peaceful protesters" from the folks who want to destroy things. .


Maybe they should arm the cops with something like this with not only the laser but a camera.

They point it at a guy throwing a rock so the camera records the act, then fire it, capturing him. Even if they are all masked up they have the recording and the person and have captured him.. Might need steel cords to resist a quick cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Mgc84iLvU
Trump says his supporters are dumber than a sack of rocks
July 23rd, 2020 at 5:17:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Member since: Aug 15, 2019
Threads: 14
Posts: 1744
Operation Legend:

President Trump is surging Federal LE into cities, starting with Chicago to start targeting problematic individuals and gang members.


This is a good thing. More Federal patrols will lead to stability and reassurance.

I think on the State Level more states need to start activating National Guard Units and State Defense Forces for urban patrols. On a Federal Level, its not really possible to organize military patrols in cities.


https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attorney-general-william-p-barr-joins-president-donald-j-trump-announce-expansion-operation
July 23rd, 2020 at 5:48:26 PM permalink
Dalex64
Member since: Mar 8, 2014
Threads: 3
Posts: 3347
Sounds like just the sort of thing that libertarians, the NRA, militia groups, small government supporters, and states rights folks would be opposed to, and until recently have been warning us about.
It's an observation that even (I thought The Onion but I guess it is The Shovel) has made.
https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/06/04/nra-accidentally-forgets-to-rise-up-against-tyrannical-government/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 23rd, 2020 at 5:58:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Member since: Aug 15, 2019
Threads: 14
Posts: 1744
Quote: Dalex64
Sounds like just the sort of thing that libertarians, the NRA, militia groups, small government supporters, and states rights folks would be opposed to, and until recently have been warning us about.
It's an observation that even (I thought The Onion but I guess it is The Shovel) has made.
https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/06/04/nra-accidentally-forgets-to-rise-up-against-tyrannical-government/



Who cares what fringe militia groups think?

I am not a Trump fan, but I like more centralized control over troubled cities.
July 23rd, 2020 at 7:07:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 144
Posts: 10256
Quote: Dalex64
Sounds like just the sort of thing that libertarians, the NRA, militia groups, small government supporters, and states rights folks would be opposed to, and until recently have been warning us about.
It's an observation that even (I thought The Onion but I guess it is The Shovel) has made.
https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/06/04/nra-accidentally-forgets-to-rise-up-against-tyrannical-government/


I'm trying to think of the last time we had a strong federal force going into cities for any extended time.

If a weak force faces a strong force, the weak force doesn't necessarily give up and it's over. It could grind on for a long time. Endless strife into November won't be helpful.
Trump says his supporters are dumber than a sack of rocks