The City on Fire

July 5th, 2020 at 9:44:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
You need a permit to burn on public sidewalks and parks in cities.

Did police arrest those that burned their draft cards
I am ok with burning a flag as a protest on a public street as long as there is no danger. I think it's a protected right
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 5th, 2020 at 9:59:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
I notice you failed to include the BLM or rainbow flag.

Next notice that the same people who are call the USA flag "a piece of cloth" and have no problem with flag burning get all worked up over something that is "just a word." Say the wrong word and they go crazy.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2020 at 11:16:28 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Did police arrest those that burned their draft cards
I am ok with burning a flag as a protest on a public street as long as there is no danger. I think it's a protected right

Yes, they did arrest many for burning draft cards.....
July 5th, 2020 at 11:38:05 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Gandler
Yes, they did arrest many for burning draft cards.....

Many???????????
A tiny fraction were arrested
46 out of over 25k
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 5th, 2020 at 11:58:42 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
If the movement known as Black Lives matter had an actual goal of saving Black Lives, is there anyone with an IQ over 1 that actually believes that defunding police will help save Black Lives?

yup
Lets use that money for years of training
I think in a lot of western countries, its a 2 year training program to become a law enforcement officer.
That sounds good to me
A lot of these guys in uniform don't even know what the law is and simply make stuff up.
Its shocking all the 1st amendment audits on youtube.
Most cops are stupid and make up fake laws. There are like a gazillion videos on youtube showing this.
This has been going on for many years now. You would think cops would smarten up on these 1st amendment audit videos.
Nope, the number of dumb cops out there making up fake laws is astounding even after a gazillion videos has exposed this
All these videos should be mandatory training for cops.
BLACK LIVES MATTER
July 5th, 2020 at 12:59:41 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Many???????????
A tiny fraction were arrested
46 out of over 25k

"It is now known that, during the Vietnam era, approximately 570,000 young men were classified as draft offenders, and approximately 210,000 were formally accused of draft violations; however, only 8,750 were convicted and only 3,250 were jailed." That appears to be more than 46.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 5th, 2020 at 1:09:19 PM permalink
terapined
"It is now known that, during the Vietnam era, approximately 570,000 young men were classified as draft offenders, and approximately 210,000 were formally accused of draft violations; however, only 8,750 were convicted and only 3,250 were jailed." That appears to be more than 46.

Whats your source regarding being arrested for burning a draft card
Mine says 46
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Draft-card_burning
July 5th, 2020 at 1:20:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Mine says 46

I think the confusion is being arrested for dodging the draft versus just be arrested for merely burning the card (which I believe is illegal public burning and/or destroying of government property, because I believe there was some kind of regulation making defacing or damaging draft cards illegal).
July 5th, 2020 at 1:39:01 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Mine says 46

My quote was Wikipedia. The 25K referenced in your article is little too much of an even number to believe it was hard data. I am not sure the 210,000 draft violations are broken down by type but most would not be card burners. We do know that many people burnt their cards in private and would not have been arrested or counted.

The supreme court did uphold the law against burning your draft card and said it wasn't covered by free speech. Don't know my US law well enough to know if the supreme court ruled on burning the flag lots of that went on though. Anybody else know?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 5th, 2020 at 2:35:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My quote was Wikipedia. The 25K referenced in your article is little too much of an even number to believe it was hard data. I am not sure the 210,000 draft violations are broken down by type but most would not be card burners. We do know that many people burnt their cards in private and would not have been arrested or counted.

The supreme court did uphold the law against burning your draft card and said it wasn't covered by free speech. Don't know my US law well enough to know if the supreme court ruled on burning the flag lots of that went on though. Anybody else know?

Just for added consideration, there is a law against burning US money.

The flag burning question will probably remain highly opinionated whatever the decision is during any particular year.

Here's all the flag desecration laws by country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?