Stimulus

Page 85 of 86« First<8283848586>
January 9th, 2021 at 6:24:30 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Tanko
Manchin is gone in eleven days.

Stimulus is necessary, but the government has to concentrate on creating career jobs. Not gig or service economy jobs that typically either don’t pay well, are part time, or don’t last long.

Voters twice rejected tax cuts, record real wage growth and record low unemployment. First in 2018, and again in 2020.

They prefer the guy who promises to raise their taxes, bring in millions of immigrants, and told miners learn to code. “Anybody who can throw coal into a furnace can learn how to program, for God’s sake!” 

Okay.

63% of Americans don’t have $500 saved for an emergency. One-third of homeowners don’t have $500 saved for an emergency. The Fed created a real estate bubble that could end as it did in 2008, with millions of homeowners unable to refinance or sell because their homes were ‘underwater’.

Too bad for them, but great for the banks. They’ll get trillions more to bail them out of their bad loans.

??? Manchin is going where in 11 days? He is going to be one of the most powerful men in the country in 11 days. He has basically parroted what I have been saying that give the stimulus money to those hurting.... the unemployed... the closed down small business (often restaurant) owner, the ‘long haulers’ recovering from COVID-19,... not my fully employed children.... not my retired wife..... but just giving most everyone free money makes people like you.... the new adult in the room (Manchin) understands the folly being presented by Biden.
January 9th, 2021 at 6:44:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Manchin is gone in eleven days.

Stimulus is necessary, but the government has to concentrate on creating career jobs. Not gig or service economy jobs that typically either don’t pay well, are part time, or don’t last long.

Too bad for them, but great for the banks. They’ll get trillions more to bail them out of their bad loans.

But the problem is it is the private sector that creates career jobs. A "career" job might be a thing of the past. Maybe 30% of jobs can be "career." The rest of us need to be flexible.

Americans have screwed themselves in the quest for better and better homes. If we had more modest homes we would not have these problems. I see the mortgage loans people take every day, the numbers were unimaginable just a few years ago.
The President is a fink.
January 9th, 2021 at 6:59:06 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
??? Manchin is going where in 11 days? He is going to be one of the most powerful men in the country in 11 days. He has basically parroted what I have been saying that give the stimulus money to those hurting.... the unemployed... the closed down small business (often restaurant) owner, the ‘long haulers’ recovering from COVID-19,... not my fully employed children.... not my retired wife..... but just giving most everyone free money makes people like you.... the new adult in the room (Manchin) understands the folly being presented by Biden.

Yes and no. I forget the exact formula but, for a single person, you only get a full stimulus if you make less than 75K in the last tax year (and above that it scales down every couple thousand or so until it hits zero). So people who are employed making a good salary (especially for a single person) either get a much smaller stimulus, no none. Its probably not a perfect system (because some people who made great money last year may be out of work this year, etc....)

Many people who are still employed are getting reduced hours (or in the case of service industry reduced tips because of much lower capacity, and far fewer people being able to go out). So unemployment does not help somebody who is still working but has taken a 30-60% paycut because of reduced hours and tips. I personally think the current stimulus with the 75K cutoff (for single) is reasonable. I think stimulus payments with increased UI periods is about as good of a compromise as we can get to protect both the employed and unemployed.
January 9th, 2021 at 7:49:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Citibank and GSM are rivaling Bitcoin. Not quite, but up nearly 50% since Nov. 6. JPM up 36%.

Citibank is the only stock that I bought this year that is overperforming for me. Most of my stocks are dogs.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 9th, 2021 at 7:59:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Citibank is the only stock that I bought this year that is overperforming for me. Most of my stocks are dogs.

I bought stock in Bank of America this summer. Up 29% so far. I'm thrilled.
Weird thing about BOA
Their ATM machines are everywhere. There is one across the street from Sam's Town. It's the busiest ATM I have ever experienced. Always a line of cars.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 9th, 2021 at 8:20:03 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I bought stock in Bank of America this summer. Up 29% so far. I'm thrilled.
Weird thing about BOA
Their ATM machines are everywhere. There is one across the street from Sam's Town. It's the busiest ATM I have ever experienced. Always a line of cars.

My un-informed guess on that is because in Nevada unemployment is paid via a BofA debit card. That area has a very high unemployment rate.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 14th, 2021 at 8:29:40 PM permalink
terapined
so far no 1400.00 yet
I just filed my taxes today electronically via my cousin who is a professional
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 17th, 2021 at 7:28:34 AM permalink
terapined
Wow
I just got my 1400
That was fast and easy
Love direct deposit. Get my social security that way also.
If I get my tax return soon which is over 2k, will make for a great month, 3 govt deposits in my acct in one month. Life is good.
Country starting to warm up as Spring is just around the corner.
Today is moving day
I'm always excited on moving day
Just moving a couple hours north for a new area to explore.
Yesterday I checked out the largest raisin box in the world. I thought it would be bigger lol
Also saw the worlds largest swedish coffee pot. Just a decorated water tower
March 17th, 2021 at 10:22:45 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined

Yesterday I checked out the largest raisin box in the world. I thought it would be bigger lol
Also saw the worlds largest swedish coffee pot. Just a decorated water tower

Slow down Terp. Save something for when you come back.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 17th, 2021 at 10:27:52 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: JimRockford
Slow down Terp. Save something for when you come back.

It was either that or go up into the nearby Sequoia Nat park
Too cold at the national park
It's still winter over there
Page 85 of 86« First<8283848586>