No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 27th, 2020 at 12:42:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: fleaswatter

Drugs effective in labs don't necessarily translate to people. You may not even be able to use an effective dose because it might be harmful or even lethal to the body. But we'll see soon enough since I'm sure they're running trials on it right now.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2020 at 12:46:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Ever notice how many drugs that go through the normal longer approval process get pulled from usage for one reason or another? I think I hear about at least a couple a year?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2020 at 12:59:26 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Hmmmmm

According to the following link, Cuomo says that clinical trials in NY will begin Tuesday March 24:

New York To Begin Clinical Trials For Coronavirus Treatment Tuesday, Cuomo Says

Now, according to the following link, the clinical trials in NY may not begin until NEXT week (Mar 29-Apr 4):

Clinical trials may begin next week in New York for coronavirus treatments: Health official

Why the delay???
Let's go Brandon
March 27th, 2020 at 1:10:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Quote: fleaswatter

Drugs effective in labs don't necessarily translate to people. You may not even be able to use an effective dose because it might be harmful or even lethal to the body. But we'll see soon enough since I'm sure they're running trials on it right now.

Actually I heard they are cranking it out fast as they can and it is working amazingly well. And best part is it is an old drug so we know about any side effects.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2020 at 1:26:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Actually I heard they are cranking it out fast as they can and it is working amazingly well. And best part is it is an old drug so we know about any side effects.

Seems like if that was the case, the group of people showing up with Trump for his daily briefing would have announced the success.
March 27th, 2020 at 1:49:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Seems like if that was the case, the group of people showing up with Trump for his daily briefing would have announce d the success.

Until Dr Fauci comes out for it, I consider this all fake news. The pressure on him to announce good news must be tremendous. He has integrity and I trust him more then Trump who will spout BS
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 27th, 2020 at 4:23:42 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Until Dr Fauci comes out for it, I consider this all fake news. The pressure on him to announce good news must be tremendous. He has integrity and I trust him more then Trump who will spout BS

Gotta agree. If ANYTHING was actually working, Trump would announce it, while taking credit for it as well. One possible problem in 'announcing' it, is that the likelihood is that even if effective, it might only help a few more survive than would have otherwise perished. Likely to improve survivability 10%? 20%? Both would be great news. But If it means 10 out of 1000 die instead of 12 out of 1000, it is a 'win' but to the 10 that die they wont think so.

Update from my hospital. The flood has started. Entire floor of COVID only. ICU now with 7 intubated. Hopefully we will be able to stay ahead.
March 27th, 2020 at 9:54:24 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: SOOPOO
The flood has started. Entire floor of COVID only.

How unusual is this? Did your hospital get floods like this for seasonal flu? Did you hospital get floods like this in 2009 from H1N1 (swine flu)?
March 28th, 2020 at 5:12:53 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: reno
How unusual is this? Did your hospital get floods like this for seasonal flu? Did you hospital get floods like this in 2009 from H1N1 (swine flu)?

Not for seasonal flu. My hospital is a trauma hospital, so we would tend to get more floods summer time due to more trauma. If we had one more intubation per day due to flu I wouldn't notice.
I'll be honest. I don't even recall anything different from work from 2009. I think NYC now has more cases than Italy. Just our health care system had an infrastructure already in place to be more prepared. And the emergency measures to expand capacity will be needed.

Latest thought.... when this hits countries hard that already have a substandard health care system, thinking lots of Africa here, the death rate will be substantially higher there. I can only imagine what Lagos will look like. Hopefully, the climate will limit the spread.
March 28th, 2020 at 6:38:32 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
A year ago, in one week, there were nearly 7,000 new seasonal flu infections in NYC, and 968 hospitalizations.

This year, Covid-19 infections are increasing at twice that rate.

On March 16th there were 269 confirmed Covid cases in NYC.

Today there are more than 25,000, and more than 4,700 hospitalized. Over the past two days, the disease had been killing one person every seventeen minutes.

I turned off the television after listening to Dr. K describe what he is seeing. That most important part is cut from this clip.