No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 22nd, 2020 at 6:41:44 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I question that we are being told the truth about what is really going on in China.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 22nd, 2020 at 9:30:22 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: kenarman
That is totally wrong. If gatherings of 50 people are illegal than every group needs to comply. I don't get my emotional support from a church group but I have other places I go to for social exchange and support that are now shut down. Either it is safer for society for groups to not meet or it isn't. If we believe the medical 'experts' the churches are endangering the community at large by meeting. The churches in my community are holding streaming video services.

There are ways for people to receive spiritual support during this difficult time without having to gather in Churches in large numbers. In my Church and just about every pastor I know is livestreaming or recording Masses for people to watch on-line. We are also having drive through confessions. I am pushing for drive through Holy Communion as well. People after watching Mass on-line could come, and while keeping social distancing rules and the rules limiting number of people who can gather together, receive Holy Communion and a blessing.

You would have no problem with more than 50 people in a grocery store as long as everyone took appropriate distancing and sanitizing actions, correct? For us receiving Holy Communion once a week is that essential and important.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 22nd, 2020 at 9:56:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Dalex64
I question that we are being told the truth about what is really going on in China.

Trust me, they question whether they are being told the truth about what is going on in the US.
Communication from NYC is describing a disaster. I don't think the news is portraying it accurately. Likely to avoid mass hysteria.

I, like, you, do not have trust in the 'numbers' coming out of China. I DO trust the email I received from Starbucks a week ago saying they opened 90% of their stores there. And I find it hard to imagine they will in some way fake a Basketball league!

My point is just that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And its not a train coming at you!

I'm wondering if anyone is doing the grisly math task of figuring out "life-years' lost. A shooting like Sandy Hook were 27 youngsters were killed probably resulted in 2000 years of life lost. The 18 deaths at the Washington nursing home may have amounted to less than 100 years of life lost.

Not to minimize this absolute catastrophe, but imagine if it were able to kill healthy younger people at a higher rate.

Good luck, Fr. gamble. I know you are hurting with your congregation, but it is times like these that you must be happy you can help your flock.
March 22nd, 2020 at 9:56:58 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: FrGamble
There are ways for people to receive spiritual support during this difficult time without having to gather in Churches in large numbers. In my Church and just about every pastor I know is livestreaming or recording Masses for people to watch on-line. We are also having drive through confessions. I am pushing for drive through Holy Communion as well. People after watching Mass on-line could come, and while keeping social distancing rules and the rules limiting number of people who can gather together, receive Holy Communion and a blessing.

You would have no problem with more than 50 people in a grocery store as long as everyone took appropriate distancing and sanitizing actions, correct? For us receiving Holy Communion once a week is that essential and important.

The grocery stores here are counting and limiting the number of people in the store. It is sometimes over 50 and sometimes under 50 depending on the size of the store and social distancing ability. I am glad to see that you think steps are needed to be taken and not just a blanket we should be exempt approach.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 22nd, 2020 at 10:10:15 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: SOOPOO

My point is just that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And its not a train coming at you!

We are being told in Canada now that these 'temporary' shutdown measures are opened ended and several months long. Those in government that are brave enough to say what several months means are telling us 18 months. That time is still dependent on a vaccine being developed. I think the confusion is coming from those that are using the term 'stop the virus' rather the term that is actually being used by most of the official spokespersons of 'delay the virus'. None of the shutdowns or social distancing will stop the virus from spreading to what ever percentage of the population is going to get it. As I have said before I believe the cure of destroying our economies is worse than the damage that losing 1% or 2% of our population would cause.
March 22nd, 2020 at 10:52:59 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Rand Paul tested positive for COVID-19.

Have they made it so Senators can vote remotely yet? Probably gonna be a massively important stimulus vote this week (not that I’d expect Rand Paul to vote for it...)
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2020 at 10:57:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
We are being told in Canada now that these 'temporary' shutdown measures are opened ended and several months long. Those in government that are brave enough to say what several months means are telling us 18 months. That time is still dependent on a vaccine being developed. I think the confusion is coming from those that are using the term 'stop the virus' rather the term that is actually being used by most of the official spokespersons of 'delay the virus'. None of the shutdowns or social distancing will stop the virus from spreading to what ever percentage of the population is going to get it. As I have said before I believe the cure of destroying our economies is worse than the damage that losing 1% or 2% of our population would cause.

Its about flattening the curve
F**k the economy, I want to live
Rand Paul has tested positive
I am still shocked at Soopoo, the CBA starting is meaningless. China has it under control. It will ravage this country like its ravaging Italy
Right wing media totally blew it on this one. Thank goodness they did a 180. Problem is many on the right find it hard to do that 180
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 22nd, 2020 at 10:59:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

I understand your thinking.

It's just not the American way. Rightly or wrongly, Americans value life very highly. The costs and measures we take to save a life before this pandemic were astoundingly high.
A 92 year old demented man with a broken hip will cost $100,000 + in his last weeks when the family wants 'everything done'.

I believe that those saying 18 months are likely self serving. If it is shorter no one cares, as all are happy it is over. If they are right it is an "I told you so" moment. And results in their re-election.

I 100% agree that all these closings should be open ended. All estimates are basically guesses. There are smart people all over the map. Since we have done a pretty good job of delaying it (flattening the curve), this will inherently prolong the time till we are done with it.

I'll make a prediction. July 1 pretty much everything is open again. Hope I'm right.
March 22nd, 2020 at 11:43:26 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: SOOPOO
I understand your thinking.

It's just not the American way. Rightly or wrongly, Americans value life very highly. The costs and measures we take to save a life before this pandemic were astoundingly high.
A 92 year old demented man with a broken hip will cost $100,000 + in his last weeks when the family wants 'everything done'.

I believe that those saying 18 months are likely self serving. If it is shorter no one cares, as all are happy it is over. If they are right it is an "I told you so" moment. And results in their re-election.

I 100% agree that all these closings should be open ended. All estimates are basically guesses. There are smart people all over the map. Since we have done a pretty good job of delaying it (flattening the curve), this will inherently prolong the time till we are done with it.

I'll make a prediction. July 1 pretty much everything is open again. Hope I'm right.

If everything gets opened up on July 1 without a vaccine what do you see that prevents a new cycle starting then. We certainly won't have herd immunity by then with the shutdown?

Your example of the 92 year old man is how unreasonable we treat death in North America. We think any death is a tragedy. Death is the future of all of us and not to be feared or unexpected. My wife and I were at both my mothers and her mothers end of life for several days. Neither of them appeared to know we were present but I like to think they did on some level. We were happy to spend the last few days with them, hold their hands, talk to them as if they could hear us, and laugh and review their lives with other family members. This wasn't a terrible thing to endure but a privilege to be able to be there with them. It was actually a very peaceful time and not stressful at all. We were happy for them when they passed and were able to leave a quality of life that had become so poor. Of course their passing leaves a whole in the heart but it can be filled with your memories of the good times with your loved one.
March 22nd, 2020 at 12:35:59 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Rand Paul used the Senate gym and pool this morning despite knowing he may have coronavirus.

Hmmmm.... seems like a pretty crappy thing to do.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman