No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 21st, 2020 at 5:18:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Then the "444s" would be monitored by a dedicated watchdog, logically part of the SEC but it could be independent. They would have the aforementioned 2-4 week "locked waiting period" before a trade could be made.
See HILLSDALE COLLEGE open auditing project.
March 21st, 2020 at 8:23:40 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
question for SOOPOO:

Listening to the news I keep hearing about the lack of hospital beds, lack of medical facilities, lack of medical equipment, etc, etc, etc.

Do you have any thoughts or views concerning "Certificates-of-Need" (CON) laws that many states, including NY have enacted and how these laws may or may not have exacerbated the current situation.
Let's go Brandon
March 21st, 2020 at 10:33:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
i'm in the ER.

Bad poorhouse food again?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2020 at 11:00:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Advertised as an upcoming article in The Atlantic magazine [or it may be an online article? or an article I missed - I get the mag]

Quote: sent in an email
You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

By James Hamblin (February 24)

The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”

add the stomach virus [norovirus] ... not sure what the 5th one is
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 21st, 2020 at 11:38:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Advertised as an upcoming article in The Atlantic magazine [or it may be an online article? or an article I missed - I get the mag]

add the stomach virus [norovirus] ... not sure what the 5th one is

Well, a vaccine will make it tolerable if it's seasonal. Flu vaccines aren't really cures either. I think what they're saying is, it's become too big too fail. Or be stomped out completely. You always have a certain number of people carrying it with little or no symptoms. Makes it really hard to track in billions of people.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 21st, 2020 at 12:21:30 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: fleaswatter
question for SOOPOO:

Listening to the news I keep hearing about the lack of hospital beds, lack of medical facilities, lack of medical equipment, etc, etc, etc.

Do you have any thoughts or views concerning "Certificates-of-Need" (CON) laws that many states, including NY have enacted and how these laws may or may not have exacerbated the current situation.

Good question.

I'll be able to answer coherently for ORs, and maybe extrapolate for beds in general.

An OR is EXTREMELY expensive to build and maintain. I was told 2-3 million per. An area (I'll use greater Buffalo) on any given day uses say, 200 ORs. Probably at an average capacity of 90%.
If there were no regulations and a truly free market existed, someone would build more in the pretty suburbs (It already happens of course) to take the lucrative cases out of the hospitals which have already built their ORs. So the government has decided to protect the existing hospitals (somewhat) by limiting the number of ORs in the community so that the present supply is used.

That's the concept. The reality..... I don't know how surgicenters that pop up get their CONs... but they do.

I do not think that the CON rule as it applies to hospital beds will be a problem. My hospital has space for empty beds that are not included in the CON. In this disaster they will be able to use them.
March 21st, 2020 at 12:56:53 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Organized religion in Michigan has managed to strong-arm the governor into putting their desires over the public health.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/21/coronavirus-whitmer-updates-order-assemblies-exempt-churches-penalty/2885395001/

She is allowing a lifting of the 50 person assembly limit penalty for churches.

I know some of you guys hate to hear it, but it is legal to temporary set parts of the constitution to the side during times of national emergency.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 21st, 2020 at 2:09:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
Organized religion in Michigan has managed to strong-arm the governor into putting their desires over the public health.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/21/coronavirus-whitmer-updates-order-assemblies-exempt-churches-penalty/2885395001/

I know some of you guys hate to hear it, but it is legal to temporary set parts of the constitution to the side during times of national emergency.
It would be great if all these lunatics gathered inside, and then someone with good sense would nail the doors shut.

These people are a disease.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 21st, 2020 at 2:36:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

More than a few things are exempt. Get over your hate and don't attend if you do not want to attend.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2020 at 3:20:50 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Oh come on guys, people who gather in large groups in a church are safe. Everyone knows you can’t catch the virus if you just pray hard enough!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman