15 members have voted

November 24th, 2021 at 10:19:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Quote: Tanko
Not a substitute for the vaccines. Better than nothing.

Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines

Results:

Meta-analysis of 15 trials found that ivermectin reduced risk of death compared with no ivermectin (average risk ratio 0.38, 95% confidence interval 0.19–0.73; n = 2438; I2 = 49%; moderate-certainty evidence). This result was confirmed in a trial sequential analysis using the same DerSimonian–Laird method that underpinned the unadjusted analysis. This was also robust against a trial sequential analysis using the Biggerstaff–Tweedie method. Low-certainty evidence found that ivermectin prophylaxis reduced COVID-19 infection by an average 86% (95% confidence interval 79%–91%).

Conclusions:

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

Conclusion: Liberals here and elsewhere will keep ignoring facts on this and other drugs because Big Pharma tells them to wait for the miracle cure via Chicken Noodle News and PMSNBC.

No surprise, you suddenly pipe up to give your voodoo doctors credit for haphazardly hitting the dartboard without a legitimate process of practice.

Aside from that, this is published in a low ranking pharmacology journal. Doesn't mean it's false, but it doesn't help its credibility either. It's just easier to get published in low ranking journals.

I will trust doctors not in the back pocket of Big Pharma before a quack like Fauci.

Right. If you knew enough to know if he was a quack.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2021 at 10:27:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Not a substitute for the vaccines. Better than nothing.

Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines

Results:

Meta-analysis of 15 trials found that ivermectin reduced risk of death compared with no ivermectin (average risk ratio 0.38, 95% confidence interval 0.19–0.73; n = 2438; I2 = 49%; moderate-certainty evidence). This result was confirmed in a trial sequential analysis using the same DerSimonian–Laird method that underpinned the unadjusted analysis. This was also robust against a trial sequential analysis using the Biggerstaff–Tweedie method. Low-certainty evidence found that ivermectin prophylaxis reduced COVID-19 infection by an average 86% (95% confidence interval 79%–91%).

Conclusions:

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

Conclusion: Liberals here and elsewhere will keep ignoring facts on this and other drugs because Big Pharma tells them to wait for the miracle cure via Chicken Noodle News and PMSNBC.

No surprise, you suddenly pipe up to give your voodoo doctors credit for haphazardly hitting the dartboard without a legitimate process of practice.

Aside from that, this is published in a low ranking pharmacology journal. Doesn't mean it's false, but it doesn't help its credibility either. It's just easier to get published in low ranking journals.

I will trust doctors not in the back pocket of Big Pharma before a quack like Fauci.

Right. If you knew enough to know if he was a quack.

A guy that endorses tying up puppies to be eaten alive by bugs is a quack to me. I will trust doctors that see patients.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2021 at 4:40:45 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Oh Boy..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59424269

Covid: New heavily mutated variant B.1.1.529 in South Africa raises concern.

The variant is called B.1.1.529 and is likely to be given a Greek code-name (like the Alpha and Delta variants) by the World Health Organization on Friday.

It is also incredibly heavily mutated. Prof Tulio de Oliveira, the director of the Centre for Epidemic Response and Innovation in South Africa, said there was an "unusual constellation of mutations" and that it was "very different" to other variants that have circulated.

"This variant did surprise us, it has a big jump on evolution [and] many more mutations that we expected," he said.
This level of mutation has most likely come from a single patient who was unable to beat the virus."

It only took one host to incubate it and give it legs.

Vax or Anti-vax, Mask or Anti-Mask, We might all have a little problem.

Variants such as this are like a new pandemic overlayed over one we have yet to resolve. When it becomes dominant, Delta variant doesn't just go away.
November 25th, 2021 at 4:54:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: OnceDear

The variant is called B.1.1.529 and is likely to be given a Greek code-name (like the Alpha and Delta variants) by the World Health Organization on Friday.

It is also incredibly heavily mutated. Prof Tulio de Oliveira, the director of the Centre for Epidemic Response and Innovation in South Africa, said there was an "unusual constellation of mutations" and that it was "very different" to other variants that have circulated.

"This variant did surprise us, it has a big jump on evolution [and] many more mutations that we expected," he said.
This level of mutation has most likely come from a single patient who was unable to beat the virus."

Variants such as this are like a new pandemic overlayed over one we have yet to resolve. When it becomes dominant, Delta variant doesn't just go away.

Why do you say delta doesn't go away? Delta had no problem in pretty much replacing the earlier versions. If this new variant is more virulent than delta it will likely do the same thing to delta.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 25th, 2021 at 10:59:36 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
"But there have been many variants that looked bad on paper before, but haven't taken off."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59424269

I am hoping that this is the case. Not burying my head in the sand at all, but we have heard this about a few variants, Study, track, and be careful.

Time will tell...
November 25th, 2021 at 11:57:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/futures-global-stocks-tumble-amid-sudden-fears-over-dramatically-new-covid-strain

The speed in which the variants on this graph is interesting. The new S. African strain is pretty fast at claiming new victims compared to the Delta.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 26th, 2021 at 2:40:52 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: kenarman

Why do you say delta doesn't go away? Delta had no problem in pretty much replacing the earlier versions. If this new variant is more virulent than delta it will likely do the same thing to delta.

An interesting question. I contend that Delta stepped forward to take over as WE brought Alpha and Beta to decline.

We accept that Delta variant soon became the dominant strain, but I reckon it bears analysis of what it means to 'become the dominant strain' and why the earlier strains SEEM to become insignificant.

I accept that I'm still puzzled by this. It's some sort of 'survival of the fittest' but in what way are variants competing? First to get to the host, leaving the weaker variant no-one to infect? Maybe, but that only helps us defeat it at the cost of more overall infections.

Before Delta arrived, we were getting better at fighting Beta. Alpha was getting beaten down easily by our early measures. Vaccines and masks and social distancing had Alpha and Beta waning (Not going into the relative merits of those measures)

As Delta 'took off' the number of infections went back on the increase, in spite of our best efforts, with Delta variant increasing faster than others. I accept that vaccines are less effective against Delta, and it's no paradox that Delta is spreading even as we vaccinate more and more. But we have what we have. As it happened Beta continued to wane. But why? Our well established counter measures? Fairly obviously the proportion of infections of Delta increased and the proportion of Beta decreased. So proportionally Delta dominated. But also, the NUMBER of Beta infections decreased. Why would that be? That's not a rhetorical question, nor one I've seen an answer to.

It is surely not that Delta attacked Beta in some way. Delta was just getting to the victims quicker and taking them out of the pool of viable hosts for Beta? But we still have a hell of a lot never infected (nor vaccinated). This is little help to them.

I draw a rather weak analogy of a crowd being fired upon by three lunatics: Loony#1 with a crossbow, takes down a few at a steady rate. Then he's joined by Loony#2 with an automatic pistol, who takes out more and quicker. Loony#3 arrives with an AR-15 and dominates the killing spree.
Unless Loony#3 trains his weapon on Loony#2 or Loony#1, they don't go away. They may eventually run out of viable targets, though and get bored and go home.

The analogy needs work, but seriously....
What did shrink the number of Alpha and Beta infections and should we 'thank' Delta for stepping in and dominating. Maybe we should if it helps us build herd immunity while being less lethal.

What we don't want is the next variant to dominate AND be more lethal. That would be pretty grim. It could be a whole new pandemic in its own right. Actually, a fast spreading less lethal variant that gave immunity to the other variants might be something we need. But what variants we get will be largely a matter of luck. I'd rather NONE of them dominated and they all just get extinguished by man.
November 26th, 2021 at 2:58:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: OnceDear

Some of us have been telling you peeps for a year or more that they are going to keep finding new variants to keep control over you. Starting to see the light yet?
The President is a fink.
November 26th, 2021 at 3:05:37 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/futures-global-stocks-tumble-amid-sudden-fears-over-dramatically-new-covid-strain

The speed in which the variants on this graph is interesting. The new S. African strain is pretty fast at claiming new victims compared to the Delta.
The zerohedge source gave its own political (anti-mask, antivax) slant on the new variant, but it still made interesting reading.

What we might get the benefit of is another big dip in the markets to exploit.
Oh hum. Don't panic unless someone says not to panic.
November 26th, 2021 at 3:11:09 AM permalink
OnceDear

Some of us have been telling you peeps for a year or more that they are going to keep finding new variants to keep control over you. Starting to see the light yet?
I see different lights, different perspectives from your good self, AZD. You make your judgement, I'll make mine, and we will let reality decide the winner.