No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

July 13th, 2021 at 6:26:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: gamerfreak
Where are you getting that liberals are risk adverse? I’ve done a lot of research on this topic and have literally only heard the opposite.

Look at who was more afraid of the china virus. Look at who buys Volvos. Look at how liberals raise their kids vs conservatives, which are more likely to be "free range" kids and who is so much more about making sure they wear helmets, etc. Who is more likely to want to ban "dangerous" things and want warning labels? Who prefers to live in the HOA?

This and more is where I am getting it.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2021 at 6:28:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
How can you tout the supposed benefits of home ownership rather than, 'Serfdom,' in one post and then bemoan certain categories of people for being, 'Risk-averse,' in the next? It seems to me that people who are, 'Risk-averse,' would at least be slightly more likely to be homeowners.

The opposite. Less risky to rent. Long term benefits differ much, but when you rent you can bug out fast, when you own you are committing.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2021 at 6:45:51 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Look at who was more afraid of the china virus. Look at who buys Volvos. Look at how liberals raise their kids vs conservatives, which are more likely to be "free range" kids and who is so much more about making sure they wear helmets, etc. Who is more likely to want to ban "dangerous" things and want warning labels? Who prefers to live in the HOA?

This and more is where I am getting it.

That has less to do with conservative vs. liberal and more to do with authoritarian vs libertarian.

I really don’t think this quiz itself is accurate, but I like the concept of describing political ideology on 2 axis.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I think, generally speaking again, Liberals have been drifting further into the authoritarian side and conservatives drifting towards libertarian.

If the pandemic happened in the Nixon era, conservatives would likely be the ones pushing for lockdowns and vaccines.
July 13th, 2021 at 6:54:29 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Isn't black by definition non-Hispanic?

No. If you followed Major League Baseball, it would be clear to you.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 13th, 2021 at 6:58:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: JimRockford
No. If you followed Major League Baseball, it would be clear to you.

Other than for bets no interest.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2021 at 7:02:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Look at who was more afraid of the china virus.

Yet, you justified your behavior by pointing out the 99% chance of survival as "low risk" and said you distrust (fear) the vaccine as it rushed out. And you didn't say masks work, but "they don't work" so why wear them.

The reasons you argued don't prove you're less risk adverse at all. The opposite.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 13th, 2021 at 7:18:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I think, generally speaking again, Liberals have been drifting further into the authoritarian side and conservatives drifting towards libertarian.

I would agree there. The liberals who wanted all kinds of freedoms in the 60s now want to rule and regulate while the law and order conservatives want to be left alone.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2021 at 7:47:56 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Just watched a weird movie that might be of interest to some of you: "Songbird."

Produced by Michael Bay.

Covid-23 has decimated LA (is that a bad thing?), permanent lockdown, no cure, no vaccine, no hope.

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgxXSfto6Vo
July 13th, 2021 at 7:58:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Look at who was more afraid of the china virus.

*looks at EvenBob*

Doesn’t seem so liberal to me...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 13th, 2021 at 8:18:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Where are you getting that liberals are risk adverse? I’ve done a lot of research on this topic and have literally only heard the opposite.

Jordan Peterson (pretty conservative guy that libs hate) talks a lot of about the psychological differences between conservatives and liberals.

To quote him, he says (speaking generally of course) “Liberals start companies and conservatives run them”.

Pretty much by definition, conservatism is a risk adverse ideology. Conservatives are more likely to fall into a position where they can execute a known algorithm for success, rather than try something new and risky.

That is not an admonishment of either, we need both types of people.

What difference does it make when basic underlying notions are self-contradictory anyway?

People have their views and they try to defend them. I don't really care what a person's views are, we all have different opinions, inconsistency within a particular set of views (and hypocrisy, though hypocrisy does NOT apply in this case) are the things that bother me.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman