1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 12th, 2020 at 8:36:02 PM permalink
HotBlonde
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands (PDF).

Mike, you’re the one who taught me to cough into my elbow and not my hand.
March 12th, 2020 at 8:44:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: reno
The Federal Reserve spent $1.5 trillion today to help the stock market. Perhaps some of that capital could be allocated to help workers?
Must....save.....banks.

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2020/03/federal-reserve-announces-unprecedented-1-5-trillion-in-loans-to-wall-street-today-and-tomorrow/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 12th, 2020 at 9:03:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm not too hopeful most Republicans will do more than agree to new emergency legislation, for rare occasions where people may be forced to not work that will kick in with fewer hoops to jump through should it be needed again.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 12th, 2020 at 9:21:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
I'm not too hopeful most Republicans will do more than agree to new emergency legislation, for rare occasions where people may be forced to not work that will kick in with fewer hoops to jump through should it be needed again.
Why can't people just sign up for unemployment insurance like construction workers?
March 12th, 2020 at 9:53:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Why can't people just sign up for unemployment insurance like construction workers?

I don't know. I was trying to imagine if there are special circumstances to this. Maybe not, maybe so.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 12th, 2020 at 10:34:04 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I don't know. I was trying to imagine if there are special circumstances to this. Maybe not, maybe so.

Because you are still employed, but are not given hours.
March 12th, 2020 at 10:34:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
I'm sure it's harder than UI. But the basic plan is there already worked out, at least I think?

"what can't be paid, won't" for those that materially don't qualify for UI, they either have the funds or the bills don't get paid. Should this be near as devastating as it sounds ?

My daughter just went to work for the school district about one month ago. They are now closing schools, and the workers signed contracts not to sign up for UI. She has her dad's luck.
March 13th, 2020 at 1:06:48 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: reno
His idea of leadership during this crisis is to downplay the risk, and then blame Democrats & the media when the virus spirals out of control.
I watched trump's address. For comparison, here in Blighty, our Prime Minister is not downplaying the crisis. He's trying to explain the issue as something that urgently needs to be tackled while explaining the 'why and how' of the proposed strategy.

It'll only take a few minutes of your life to watch and read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

See how the scientific advisor presents some explanations, about half way down the page.
Elsewhere, that advisor has stated that at least 60% of our population will need to contract the virus in order for us to develop "herd immunity" to prevent further transmission in the future. Sort of makes sense in the absense of a vaccine. So the strategy is to 'flatten the curve' so that our health service is not totally inundated with patients requiring intensive care. As intensive care runs out of facilities, so death rate percentage rockets.

Our NHS* and population are similar in scale to that of Italy, where their health service is severely struggling. The similarity between the two is the nation level control and universal access. Italy is having WAY more deaths per diagnosed victim, possibly down to their older average age. They seem to be about two weeks ahead of the UK and and I guess the UK is about two weeks ahead of the US. It will be interesting to see what the US situation is in 2 weeks time. Good luck.

I suspect the US is going to have the same problems but scaled up in proportion to population. Maybe some extra problems such as clustering because of different approaches and different population characteristics by state.

* I don't have a high opinion of our PM, but I appreciated this.
Note: NHS = National Health Service.

https://internationalliving.com/countries/italy/health-care-in-italy/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000
March 13th, 2020 at 4:45:53 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: OnceDear

It'll only take a few minutes of your life to watch and read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

Here's another BBC article:

"The fatality rate for coronavirus in South Korea is 0.7%. Globally the World Health Organization has reported 3.4% - but scientists estimate that the death rate is lower because not all cases are reported."

The mortality rate for the seasonal flu is 0.1%.

The SK number is more accurate, because they're testing more people than any other nation.
March 13th, 2020 at 4:54:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Here's another BBC article:

"The fatality rate for coronavirus in South Korea is 0.7%. Globally the World Health Organization has reported 3.4% - but scientists estimate that the death rate is lower because not all cases are reported."

The mortality rate for the seasonal flu is 0.1%.

The SK number is more accurate, because they're testing more people than any other nation.

Instead of worrying about a virus that has not infected anyone they know people should worry about what freedoms the government will take from them using the virus as an excuse.
The President is a fink.