1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 12th, 2020 at 4:46:29 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
[
If you had meetings about possible actions you might take to control the spread or keep the country running, would they be open to the public? In my opinion, there has to be some discussions that everyone does not get to hear. Throw out some ideas, talk them through, then settle on a course of action.

Test Test Test
We need to test as many people as possible
There are not enough tests and Trump totally ignores this
Total transparency. Trump is totally against this as Gvt discussions abut the virus is now secret.
Total honesty. Trump has lied and lied about the situation
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 12th, 2020 at 4:53:33 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
[
If you had meetings about possible actions you might take to control the spread or keep the country running, would they be open to the public? In my opinion, there has to be some discussions that everyone does not get to hear. Throw out some ideas, talk them through, then settle on a course of action.

Test Test Test
We need to test as many people as possible
There are not enough tests and Trump totally ignores this
Total transparency. Trump is totally against this as Gvt discussions abut the virus is now secret.
Total honesty. Trump has lied and lied about the situation

Why is it so hard to put forward an idea or your own plan without an attack or criticism?
March 12th, 2020 at 5:01:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
The UK is exempt.

Still fly to play golf

Quote:
When President Donald Trump announced his 30-day travel ban to Europe Wednesday night, he excluded the United Kingdom, even though it has 456 cases of the novel coronavirus, far more than many countries under the ban, including Portugal and Poland. What the U.K. does have is Trump properties, including Turberry and Trump International Golf Links in Scotland. He also has another in Doonbeg, Ireland—another country not restricted by the White House. In his Wednesday night national address,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 12th, 2020 at 5:07:47 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: rxwine
Still fly to play golf

"The actual given reason can be summed up in one word: Schengen.

Schengen, as few people know, is a small town of 5000 people in Luxembourg surrounded by vineyards.

But it’s far better known for giving its name to the Schengen Agreement.

Enacted in 1985, the agreement effectively turned the EU’s internal borders from physical checkpoints into almost forgotten lines on a map marked merely by a sign on the side of the road.

After Schengen was signed, driving from Paris to Madrid was as hassle free as driving from Sydney to Brisbane."

"To this day, anyone travelling from, say, Paris to London has to go through traditional passport control and a security checks whether they come by train, plane or on a ferry across the English Channel."

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/coronavirus-why-the-uk-is-exempt-form-the-us-europe-travel-ban/news-story/e448ccd201d936ba96c6e61ca7dabaee

Personally, I am not sure if the UK should be exempt from the travel ban, but here is the reasoning behind it. Control of borders. Not golf courses. Not trying to protect Brexit, which was actually approved by a majority of voters.
March 12th, 2020 at 5:20:29 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Why is it so hard to put forward an idea or your own plan without an attack or criticism?

Why do you get so bent out of shape over attacks on our incompetent leader?

Donny and his administration have massively screwed up the response to this pandemic. There is no denying that at this point!

Hypotheticals like “well what would you do if you were president?!” accomplish nothing.

Us lefties have been warning for three years now how screwed we were all gone be once Donny faces his first *real* crisis (aka one he didn’t instigate himself). Every day we are proven more and more correct.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 12th, 2020 at 5:30:03 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: ams288
Why do you get so bent out of shape over attacks on our incompetent leader?

Donny and his administration have massively screwed up the response to this pandemic. There is no denying that at this point!

Hypotheticals like “well what would you do if you were president?!” accomplish nothing.

Us lefties have been warning for three years now how screwed we were all gone be once Donny faces his first *real* crisis (aka one he didn’t instigate himself). Every day we are proven more and more correct.

I didn't ask anyone to stop attacking him; I merely asked for some thoughts on what one would do if they were President without attacks in those replies. It is a discussion on a discussion board and it provokes some actually thinking about what one would do in a situation instead of just criticism of what is happening.

The truth is that the end of this story is not written yet and I was trying to interject another angle of discussion, not absolve anybody of reasonable culpability.

Perhaps you are incapable of such a discussion. Perhaps the whole board is that way.
March 12th, 2020 at 5:44:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I shouldn't have to listen to what the President says, then see if his aids or experts who are working for him are saying the same thing. But that kind of thing has been going on since the beginning of his presidency.

Good thing I've gotten used to it. But that's not the way it should be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 12th, 2020 at 6:30:44 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
We now have people in two camps. Those buying out water from WMT because if they have to stay home their sink does not work? And those who go on with life, figuring you gotta die of something.

I disagree. There is a middle ground. I'm not panic buying anything, especially not water (municipal water supplies unlikely to be affected by this).

But going on with "life as usual" is foolhardy. I voluntarily started working from home on Tuesday, now my employer (large multinational corp with about 17k employees across mostly US and DE) has mandated it for all workers who can. This is a rational response to slow the spread of the virus.

http://flattenthecurve.com/

We have to slow the transmission and flatten the curve if we don't want to end up like Italy. There will be disruptions, and they will save lives. Social distancing.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 12th, 2020 at 7:21:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
So, uh, how long before all of the stock market gains made during Donny’s term get wiped out?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 12th, 2020 at 7:29:29 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
If less than 3 million people die in the U.S. from Corona, I will think it was handled well. That would be losing less than 1% of our population.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.