1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 10th, 2020 at 5:56:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
At least you are playing basketball.

i guess a VISIT to the villages won't hurt but I recall BBB's analysis and seem to recall that it would be Naples for sure.

EVERYONE wants to wait and see, but commerce requires some commitments. Planeloads of tourists can come back from some city with sore feet but it only takes one of them to also have a sore throat.

I'm playing golf this weekend. Just a twosome
Played last weekend
Virus not affecting golf at all, as busy as they usually are
As to large gatherings. No interest. Staying away from the poker room.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 10th, 2020 at 6:02:15 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
In three months you will have forgotten all about it.

Ok. You wrote that on February 4. We'll see how things look on May 4.
March 10th, 2020 at 6:07:35 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
You think the USA is overreacting? Ha! Israel is going hardcore. A lot of right-wingers believe that America's biased liberal media is hyping coronavirus to make Trump look bad, but that doesn't really explain why Israel is taking this so seriously.

Every Israeli citizen flying into Israel is required to go into quarantine, regardless of where their flight originated.
March 10th, 2020 at 7:15:25 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
You are looking at it as the glass half empty. There are plenty of cheap flights and cheap hotels to be had. Be adventurous. Don't be so scared to die that you don't enjoy the life you do have.

I don't have any foreign travel scheduled until May, but I will be on the flight if it isn't cancelled.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 10th, 2020 at 8:26:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DRich
Be adventurous. Don't be so scared to die that you don't enjoy the life you do have.

Some Comments:

Israel is always primed for early detection of attack. Air quality, waterborne organisms, etc. Employee absence and ER admission data is considered military Intelligence data and is processed twice a day.

I'm reminded of that old Twilight Zone episode shot in a hospital ward with nurses wearing the giant over sized hats found on some French nurses. The show features discussions of the hideously ugly patient and her final operation to correct the gross deformity before being banished to the hinterlands where others of her ilk are permitted to live. Of course the final scene reveals that they all have hideous faces and patient is what we would consider an attractive young woman .

We consider earthworms to be beneficial, but in fact they are an invasive species that arrived on the Mayflower ad took over the entire continent.

There is a brucellosis-like organism that has colonized the blood of every person in North America.

We adapt to pathogens, Its only the immediate effects we need fear, Our Mitochondria were originally invasive pathogens.

So it does't matter how the virus travels but how long it remains extremely deadly.High iron, low zinc and low vitamin C are the first victims to succumb.
March 11th, 2020 at 5:04:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Is it better to get the virus/pneumonia now while hospital staffs are not overwhelmed, rather than later when the opposite is the case and ventilators are all in use and not available , and half the staff has caught the virus themselves?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 11th, 2020 at 5:57:39 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m supposed to go on a cruise on March 21st.

As of now I still plan on going. Playing it by ear though. Not afraid of getting sick, but I don’t want to get quarantined at sea or turned away from all the ports we are supposed to stop at.

Thankfully I have up to 48 hours before sailing to cancel for a refund (in the form of a future cruise credit).

And my flights to Miami have gone down in price and Delta is waiving their change fees right now so I was able to rebook it and save $95.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 11th, 2020 at 6:09:39 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
I’m supposed to go on a cruise on March 21st.

As of now I still plan on going. Playing it by ear though. Not afraid of getting sick, but I don’t want to get quarantined at sea or turned away from all the ports we are supposed to stop at.

Thankfully I have up to 48 hours before sailing to cancel for a refund (in the form of a future cruise credit).

And my flights to Miami have gone down in price and Delta is waiving their change fees right now so I was able to rebook it and save $95.

I have a cruise planned in April. The plan is to go, but a few workplaces are now starting to ask some travelers to self-quarantine upon return. That is fine for me--I work from home, but not my wife.

So...it is officially wait and see on that and the Disney Star Wars Half Marathon weekend. Not sure how Disney will handle that event.

FCC for the cruise, refundable room deposits (up to 3-4 days before) and Southwest's change policy means that cancelling will not cost too much.

I have also changed some flights on other planned trips for travel funds or refunded points.

Southwest has a planned release of flights after 8/10 coming up...I am wondering whether they will delay, start selling the flights at "normal pricing", or offer discounts to bring in more cash.
March 11th, 2020 at 6:53:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: ams288
Not afraid of getting sick, but I don’t want to get quarantined at sea
Take along zinc, selenium, garlic, vit C, D3,
March 11th, 2020 at 8:58:54 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Just returned from a cruise. Chatted with the waitress in St. Maarten a lot. Business down a lot according to her. She said you could usually look out the window and see dozens of lost looking Chinese tourists. Now virtually none.

Wife had same fear as ams. Not of getting sick, but of not being allowed off the boat for to weeks.

I have to say, I think I have done about as bad a job as possible in booking my trips. I've prepaid for way too much. Hopefully going to NYC in 9 days.