1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

May 22nd, 2020 at 11:30:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Well, now that you mention it, I'd probably get someone I didn't really want to see anyway which might make dying even worse. However, I've been laid up in the hospital for an accident for quite awhile. It's becomes one log slog of despair and boredom with no one around. It was nice seeing a few people I knew once in awhile.

I was in for four days once in my early 20's and just wanted everyone to leave me TF alone and quit calling me because I'm trying to sleep. Everyone is different. The nurse can tell them if I'm still alive or not, nothing else is any of their business anyway.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:37:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
I was in for four days once in my early 20's and just wanted everyone to leave me TF alone and quit calling me because I'm trying to sleep. Everyone is different. The nurse can tell them if I'm still alive or not, nothing else is any of their business anyway.

I was there 10 times as long.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:39:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I was there 10 times as long.

I hope you weren't immobile. I think being in the hospital for a similar length of time, or longer, immobilized, is one of my biggest concerns. If I was able to get to a gun, I'd just kill myself instead.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:42:21 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

I'm DNR anyway, so it doesn't matter.

You are not as DNR as you think! You get in a serious MVA, unconscious to hospital, I intubate you regardless of what you think you are.
You arrive at a hospital gasping for breath due to COVID-19, you say you don't want to be intubated, but once you stop breathing, lying there unconscious, the decision to intubate you is not a slam dunk no. "Did he really understand that if not intubated he 100% would die? Or was it just he didn't want to fight anymore but really wanted to live?" Remember, the person making the decision might have only seen you for a few minutes, and could reasonably surmise you did not understand the consequences of your request.

Most successful in hospital DNR requests require a not one minute discussion.
May 22nd, 2020 at 11:46:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
You are not as DNR as you think! You get in a serious MVA, unconscious to hospital, I intubate you regardless of what you think you are.
You arrive at a hospital gasping for breath due to COVID-19, you say you don't want to be intubated, but once you stop breathing, lying there unconscious, the decision to intubate you is not a slam dunk no. "Did he really understand that if not intubated he 100% would die? Or was it just he didn't want to fight anymore but really wanted to live?" Remember, the person making the decision might have only seen you for a few minutes, and could reasonably surmise you did not understand the consequences of your request.

Most successful in hospital DNR requests require a not one minute discussion.

In hospital? I have it in writing, carry it with me at all times. Have a copy of my driver's license superimposed on the bottom of the page, or whatever the right word is. I'll add to it the specific wording that I do not wish to be intubated, though it already says I am not to be resuscitated, or even treated, for any reason and no measures whatsoever are to be taken to save my life in any instance whatsoever.

I'm also an organ donor, so they can harvest me for whatever of those I kept in useable shape.

Signed and delivered. Do otherwise and you're guilty of medical malpractice.
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:16:48 PM permalink
rxwine
I hope you weren't immobile. I think being in the hospital for a similar length of time, or longer, immobilized, is one of my biggest concerns. If I was able to get to a gun, I'd just kill myself instead.

I'm all for freedom of suicide, yet philosophically, I view suffering as just another challenge. Maybe it's the ultimate challenge. I don't intentionally seek it though.

It's just a view I adopted after much consideration. I completely flipped my viewpoint on it. But I have no religion.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:26:58 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I'm all for freedom of suicide, yet philosophically, I view suffering as just another challenge. Maybe it's the ultimate challenge. I don't intentionally seek it though.

It's just a view I adopted after much consideration. I completely flipped my viewpoint on it. But I have no religion.

Challenges, in general, are overrated. What point is there to surviving other than to say that you survived? The only thing that happens is that you might get lucky and die from something faster the next time and not experience even worse suffering the next time around.

I don't consider life as having any value unto itself because any value that it would have had is fully extinguished after we die. Although, some people might consider legacy a worthy goal, and thereby aspire to great things as a result. Good for them. Most who try to achieve great things will fail, but good for the successful ones.

For my part, in 200 years or so, the only way that anyone will know I existed is if some descendant does a genealogy report. If neither of my kids have kids, (their choice, but let's hope) then, in all likelihood, nobody 200 years from now will ever know I existed: which is awesome.

But, the sun death is inevitable unless we find a way to something habitable against all odds. The Universe is expanding. When we get far enough down the line, hard to pinpoint an exact number, it will be as if no one ever existed. From nothing we came and to nothing we shall return, and though we may sometimes know it when we are dying, we will not actually know that we have died.

It's a very peaceful thing and calming thought.
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:57:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I read 4% of Evenbob's posts, and just take wild guesses about the other 96%.

4%, it's that high? I'm flattered..
You're better off not reading
them at all. I have nothing to
say on any subject.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:59:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Challenges, in general, are overrated. What point is there to surviving other than to say that you survived? The only thing that happens is that you might get lucky and die from something faster the next time and not experience even worse suffering the next time around.

My approach is not whether it is worthwhile, but the fact that I will die eventually and why go early? That is the only value I attach to it.
May 22nd, 2020 at 1:00:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The President just came out and made a short statement that places of worship are essential and if governors close them down he will override it.

He must have checked the polls.

I hate to debate what is essential as I already disagree with some of the rulings on other things. But of course, God does not answer prayer unless you're in church. Everyone knows that.

(nothing was said about the new study, but some of the team is still speaking even though Trump left the stage)

I can't wait to hear all the bigots explain why people in WMT is OK but not in church! Same reasoning why people can go to the store but can't vote in person I assume.
The President is a fink.