1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

February 28th, 2020 at 6:51:07 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Another day living in interesting times. Too interesting
Will have CNBC on while I work
I think a lot of the market falling is due to Pence being in charge of the virus
Pence takes religion over science. The wrong guy and this country will pay for it and the stock market knows

I think that the market is pricing in more than the Corona virus and that it has very little to do with Pence. In addition to the virus, which is an important factor, the market could well be starting to price in the possibility of a Sanders presidency. He has taken a nice lead in the national polling and his chances of winning the nomination, and the general election, have gotten better.

I am not saying that Pence cannot become an issue, but it remains to be seen how he does on the issue.
February 28th, 2020 at 7:21:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
deleting something that was more hijacking, I'm getting caught up too
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 28th, 2020 at 7:23:58 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The market is reacting to the virus because major factories have been shut down in China. The parts from these factories that are used by companies world wide including major companies like Apple in the US who are having their manufacturing disrupted or about to be. Hopefully the reports of some of these major Chinese suppliers going back to work on Sunday are true.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 28th, 2020 at 7:26:31 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
In addition to the virus, which is an important factor, the market could well be starting to price in the possibility of a Sanders presidency.

This is funny.

Righties won’t blame the crash on Donny’s incompetence, but have no problem trying to blame it on... Bernie.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 28th, 2020 at 7:32:22 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: ams288
This is funny.

Righties won’t blame the crash on Donny’s incompetence, but have no problem trying to blame it on... Bernie.

Aren't we always triggered....

Of course his reaction and leadership will be factored into the market's reaction. I don't think "incompetence" is even an issue at this point as anything other than a political talking point today. It could be as the crisis moves forward.
February 28th, 2020 at 7:59:10 AM permalink
RonC
Just got an email from Donald J Trump....it said that "time is running out"...

This thing is out of control...oh, wait...just a fundraising thing...

The Dems have been hitting me via text message.

Neither of them have gotten a penny this year and both got a little last year. Darn little.
February 28th, 2020 at 8:05:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
The market is reacting to the virus because major factories have been shut down in China.

We knew that was happenning last week.
The new news is a guy that believes more in the make believe fantasy of god then the reality of science is now the virus Czar
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 28th, 2020 at 10:09:59 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
I can understand why stocks & oil would fall as Wall Street reacts to coronavirus. But why is gold also falling? I thought investors flocked to gold during bear markets.

February 28th, 2020 at 10:40:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
I can understand why stocks & oil would fall as Wall Street reacts to coronavirus. But why is gold also falling? I thought investors flocked to gold during bear markets.

No they flock to gold during unrest and distress. Coronavirus is neither and will pass by spring no big deal.
The President is a fink.
February 28th, 2020 at 10:42:35 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

No they flock to gold during unrest and distress. Coronavirus is neither and will pass by spring no big deal.

Everything was over priced and
they were itching for an excuse
to sell. It was burning a hole in
their pocket, as my dad used to
say.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.