1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

February 27th, 2020 at 1:12:23 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: fleaswatter
Understand.
If someone wishes harm and/or death to a individual, say for example Rush Limbaugh, would that be considered hate speech?

I am not trying to be a pain but just trying to understand the limits here.

Rush Limbaugh is very fat, but I don’t think it is fair to call him “a group of people.”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 27th, 2020 at 1:12:38 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I don't think Rush qualifies as human to the liberal "haters" on this forum. So no hate speech possible. (I believe there is only speech. No such thing as hate speech anyways.)
February 27th, 2020 at 1:14:05 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
Rush Limbaugh is very fat, but I don’t think it is fair to call him “a group of people.”
Rush hasn't been very fat for many years.
February 27th, 2020 at 1:14:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Try being self employed. NO sick leave.

It's not an ideal way to live, but if you can get some cooperation from the public you can reduce impact of any kind of problem for as long as it lasts.

People have to change their habits once in awhile due to all kinds of things. Water shortage creates certain requirements for a community to keep functioning. Watering days and such.

This will involve a different kind of cooperation to minimize the effect if it comes to that. If they decide they want sick people to only get groceries on certain days to reduce possible infection, I can do that. If lots of people decide to all do their own thing then things will be worse for all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 27th, 2020 at 1:17:59 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: pew
Rush hasn't been very fat for many years.

Ok, so not “very fat,” just merely “fat”??
February 27th, 2020 at 1:37:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If someone wishes harm and/or death to a individual, say for example Rush Limbaugh, would that be considered hate speech?

I am not trying to be a pain but just trying to understand the limits here.

Until now, nobody has asked for a more specific definition of "hate speech." It's easy to say that wishing harm on a large group of people qualifies.

As to Rush, I would be okay with a statement like "It looks like he is paying the price for all those cigars." However, to wish him death I think would also qualify as hate speech. I would consider how it's worded and it probably would get a shorter sentence than Shrek's. I will grant immunity to any past statements about specific individuals, unless they are especially egregious. Going forward, I may be tougher. Like the rule about personal insults, there are often grey areas and I just have to go on feel.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 27th, 2020 at 1:40:04 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
If they're already dead, you can't be accused with advocating for a live person's death.

I don't care about suspensions. Depending on how a poster meant a comment this morning that I replied to, I may have insulted someone this morning, If I did, a suspension is fair.

The problem is that wishing for a death to happen on a certain weekend or sometime soon (take your pick) to a specific person who you may not particularly like is not a good look for any of us. We should be able to disagree without wishing death on people. There is a long distance between disagreeing, not liking, even hating a person and wishing them dead.
February 27th, 2020 at 2:20:51 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Some people like to get off on triggering, either “the libs” or “the cons”. It doesn’t really mean anything. I see it as an admission of helplessness: “I can’t change anything myself, but I can get these anonymous people on the internet all worked up.” So, Rush has to die, San Fran has to get infected, etc. It’s all rhetoric.

Try injecting reasonableness into any of those discussions, you’ll just get ignored. The point isn’t to WIN the argument; it is to HAVE the argument. Insert yourself in between EB and FrG, see what happens.
February 27th, 2020 at 3:35:01 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: SOOPOO
Not from me. Too taxing to find them all. I think fleaswatter might have done a compilation.

No, I haven't made any compilation here. A while ago, maybe 2 or 3 years, I made a comment about a post that I believed was against the rules based upon the "standards" I saw enforced over at the "other" forum.

I was told by a few members here to "take a chill pill" and that this forum was more "laid-back" and not to worry about the post.

It seems that what was said to me no longer applies.
Let's go Brandon
February 27th, 2020 at 3:51:18 PM permalink
ams288
No, I haven't made any compilation here.

I think SOOPOO was confusing you with YeahBaby (lol!!!!!).

YB is the one who made the compilation.