No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

April 8th, 2020 at 9:18:38 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Whatever Dr. Fauci suggests is a good place to start.

I’d listen to the experts. Not the business leaders.

Dr. Fauci was wrong about this at first:

"Fauci doesn't want people to worry about coronavirus, the danger of which is "just minuscule." But he does want them to take precautions against the "influenza outbreak, which is having its second wave."

"We have more kids dying of flu this year at this time than in the last decade or more," he said. "At the same time people are worrying about going to a Chinese restaurant. The threat is (we have) a pretty bad influenza season, particularly dangerous for our children."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

I think you have to listen to everyone and come up with a good plan for moving forward. We deal with "acceptable risk" every day. The question is where the necessity to have an economy meets with the level of risk we can accept.
April 8th, 2020 at 9:47:03 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Dr. Fauci was wrong about this at first:

"Fauci doesn't want people to worry about coronavirus, the danger of which is "just minuscule." But he does want them to take precautions against the "influenza outbreak, which is having its second wave."

"We have more kids dying of flu this year at this time than in the last decade or more," he said. "At the same time people are worrying about going to a Chinese restaurant. The threat is (we have) a pretty bad influenza season, particularly dangerous for our children."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

I think you have to listen to everyone and come up with a good plan for moving forward. We deal with "acceptable risk" every day. The question is where the necessity to have an economy meets with the level of risk we can accept.

I mean many people were wrong at first.

The beauty of science is that is changes as evidence and statistics are studied and a more full picture is grasped....

I mean he is also right that influenza is also bad this cycle because of so many anti-vaxxers not vaxxing their kids....
April 8th, 2020 at 9:50:57 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I want the economy to open back up as much as anyone!

I miss Vegas! I miss going to the movies! I’m going crazy without the gym.

But I also don’t want it to open back up too soon just to have to shut it all back down quickly again if we have a bad recurrence...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 8th, 2020 at 10:19:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
Whatever Dr. Fauci suggests is a good place to start. .

Yeah, no. Screw that 80 year
old windbag. He's been wrong
more than right, and obviously
has an agenda against Trump.
Fire him today.

Fauci was the one in the early
80's that was screaming
Quarantine! Quarantine! over
AIDS. He said it was going to
kill huge numbers of people,
shut down the country. Why
is anybody listening to the
quack now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2020 at 10:22:19 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
I mean many people were wrong at first.

The beauty of science is that is changes as evidence and statistics are studied and a more full picture is grasped....

I mean he is also right that influenza is also bad this cycle because of so many anti-vaxxers not vaxxing their kids....

The point is that I don't think we will know what we don't know until we start the reopening process. Dr. Fauci was going on the info available at the time, which was (at best) tainted by the Communist Chinese lies. Reopening is similar, except that we have our own data, but there will have to be a call made at some logical level of risk.

I hope EVERYONE rethinks their flu vaccination decisions for next year. We certainly don't need both things hitting us at once. Even when the vaccine does not match the flu that you get, it often lessens the impact.
April 8th, 2020 at 10:47:10 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Just hit home for me. My longtime secretary from 1st job, now just a good friend for last 15 years, intubated from COVID. Early 70's generally good health before....
She was working part time in a doctor's office. I spoke to her last week; she was fine.

If she had 'regular' pneumonia I'd be able to go visit her... I'm sure she'd want to see me.

Hoping for the best....
April 8th, 2020 at 11:14:31 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Even when the vaccine does not match the flu that you get, it often lessens the impact.

More important, getting vaccinated might prevent you from passing the virus on to a child.

In the US, the seasonal flu killed 643 children in 2017-18, and another 144 so far this 2019-20 season.

So far Covid-19 has killed three.
April 8th, 2020 at 11:21:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
[So soon, there will be a decision made to 'open up the economy'. Whenever that is, it WILL cost lives. NO doubt about it. People ask me when will it happen? My answer has been the same for a while... as soon as the present 'normal' medical infrastructure can handle the sick and dying, that would be the time.... We don't DO ANYTHING about the 30k flu deaths a year. We are not willing to lower speed limits to curtail the 37k deaths a year (and 100k + life changing injuries). Heck, we even aren't willing to make cigarettes illegal to stop the 400k deaths they cause. .

Actually, we did do A LOT, to alter the smoking patterns of the population. It was a long slog from the 60s onward. First they attacked the premise that there was no harm. Then they went after the advertising. Cigarette Smoking ads did disappear from the tv airwaves. Warnings went on packaging. Actually, the first warnings were watered down. The smoking "does" cause certain things like cancer came later. Shutting down smoking in different areas came in pieces as well.

Is it creeping back with loopholes for vaping. Yup.

I think the public does care about unusual exponential increases in death. And it doesn't matter from what. Even if it doesn't exceed an annual cause from something else, the point is when there is some uncontrolled potential increase that is unusual, it gets peoples attention.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 8th, 2020 at 11:28:09 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: fleaswatter
If I remember correctly, approximately 3-4 weeks ago, the experts estimated that somewhere between 1.5 – 2 million deaths could occur in the United States due to the Chinese virus. Recent figures promulgated by the experts, lowered the estimated number of deaths to less than 100,000 (I remember the updated number to be approximately 85,000 deaths due to the Chinese virus).

I just want to thank President Donald J. Trump for his leadership, his efforts, his dedication, his guidance, his initiative, and his management, which has, based upon the most recent expert estimates, SAVED the lives of anywhere between 1,415,000 and 1,915,000 people in the US.

Woo Hoo

The experts lowers U.S. Chinese Virus Death Projections by 25% to 60,415

Thank you again President Trump for your tireless efforts and inspired leadership of your team. Saving lives, Saving lives.
Let's go Brandon
April 8th, 2020 at 11:44:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The point is that I don't think we will know what we don't know until we start the reopening process.

Its a numbers game
Until the per day deaths drop in this country, not much to plan for
The numbers are disturbing
2k died in the USA yesterday and the numbers are rising.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"