No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

April 7th, 2020 at 11:53:50 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman
Current numbers US 1,150 deaths / million. Spain 3,005.

Currently only a little over one death per million of population in the Asian nations. Less than that when the communist asian nations are included.
April 7th, 2020 at 12:37:44 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Tanko
Currently only a little over one death per million of population in the Asian nations.

US Population is estimated at 331 million (2020)
US deaths =12,021
Deaths per million = 36.32

SK Population estimated at 51.25 million (2020)
SK deaths = 192
Deaths per million = 3.74

Spain Population estimated at 46.75 million (2020)
Spain deaths = 13,897
Deaths per million = 297.26

Quote: Tanko
Less than that when the communist asian nations are included.

You can't count China; we have no idea of their actual numbers.
April 7th, 2020 at 4:33:07 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
I forget if I posted this already.

But, one good thing that will come from all of this is just how wasteful most physical encounters are.

I know many others are having similar experiences.

But, weekly meetings at work that used to be a big waste of time whole the director just lists off points that could be done over an email. Guess what now they are emailed and no meetings are necessary.

Meetings involving back and forth can now be done via zoom or just a telephone.

Classes that required a physical presence now moved online (showing that the physical lecture could have easily been posted online the whole time)...

I am also in the Army Reserves and now we have drill online (showing that driving all the way to the unit to sit through some presentation could have been online this whole time). Even some Army Resident courses are now online, allowing them to be taken from home (saving everyone a lot of money)....

If you think about how much money this will save governments, companies, universites if this continues, no more driving hours for a meeting that should have been an email or at most a Zoom conference. No more flying across the county for a course that could be taught just as effectively online. No more eating up half your world day to meet everyone you are required to at various times

I think this situation will pass, and we will all learn that we can do most tasks remotely and not have to spend the personal, company, or environmental resources to travel all over. I hope the one good thing of thos crisis is the spur towards almost everything being online and telephonically. This would be good for productivity, and the environment. There are already studies showing how much better the world is right now when less people are driving and flying everywhere. Hopefully this trend continues.

I can't logically argue any of your points, but there is just something about all of us partners being in a room, no escape, and yelling at each other about minutia that a zoom conference just doesn't mimic.

I have a friend who did hedge fund stuff. He said he could easily do everything remotely, but that the people committing 8 figures wanted to have a handshake at the end. He would have to fly to Japan for a 20 minute meeting that ended with the handshake, and he'd get back on the plane later that day. 20 + hours of flying for a handshake.
April 7th, 2020 at 4:55:41 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
If I remember correctly, approximately 3-4 weeks ago, the experts estimated that somewhere between 1.5 – 2 million deaths could occur in the United States due to the Chinese virus. Recent figures promulgated by the experts, lowered the estimated number of deaths to less than 100,000 (I remember the updated number to be approximately 85,000 deaths due to the Chinese virus).

I just want to thank President Donald J. Trump for his leadership, his efforts, his dedication, his guidance, his initiative, and his management, which has, based upon the most recent expert estimates, SAVED the lives of anywhere between 1,415,000 and 1,915,000 people in the US.
Let's go Brandon
April 8th, 2020 at 3:44:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: fleaswatter
If I remember correctly, approximately 3-4 weeks ago, the experts estimated that somewhere between 1.5 – 2 million deaths could occur in the United States due to the Chinese virus. Recent figures promulgated by the experts, lowered the estimated number of deaths to less than 100,000 (I remember the updated number to be approximately 85,000 deaths due to the Chinese virus).

I just want to thank President Donald J. Trump for his leadership, his efforts, his dedication, his guidance, his initiative, and his management, which has, based upon the most recent expert estimates, SAVED the lives of anywhere between 1,415,000 and 1,915,000 people in the US.

The situation has been managed expertly.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2020 at 4:39:54 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Fox News was back at it again last night, trying to kill off their viewers:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 8th, 2020 at 6:13:10 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Fox News was back at it again last night, trying to kill off their viewers:

I saw part of Ingraham's show. I'd say there are many Americans who agree with her. She is NOT saying that opening up the economy will not result in more coronavirus deaths; she is saying that it is still the right thing to do. That the myriad of negatives from the economy being closed down (Bankruptcy, increase domestic violence, increase drug abuse, increase suicides, massive unemployment, and perhaps mostly, severe decrease in overall quality of life) now are worse than the increased death toll opening the economy would cause. Make no mistake about it, if we decided to do this every year we would save 10,000+ deaths from the flu. And 5,000+ deaths from MVA's.

Before this mess, in some other thread, I pointed out we ABSOLUTELY value a life compared to some quality of life issue. If you would cut the speed limit down to 50 (and really enforce it of course) thousands of lives would be saved every year. WE DON"T VALUE those lives enough to add 3 minutes to our 15 minute commute.

So soon, there will be a decision made to 'open up the economy'. Whenever that is, it WILL cost lives. NO doubt about it. People ask me when will it happen? My answer has been the same for a while... as soon as the present 'normal' medical infrastructure can handle the sick and dying, that would be the time.... We don't DO ANYTHING about the 30k flu deaths a year. We are not willing to lower speed limits to curtail the 37k deaths a year (and 100k + life changing injuries). Heck, we even aren't willing to make cigarettes illegal to stop the 400k deaths they cause.

So.... as soon as there doesn't need to be a hospital in Central Park; as soon as the Javits Center is used for conventions; and as soon as the USS Comfort is sailing away from NYC; that's when we can open up the economy in NYC. The rest of the country, especially areas where population is spaced out more.... sooner.
April 8th, 2020 at 7:39:07 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Fox News was back at it again last night, trying to kill off their viewers:]

Please give us your plan for reopening the economy while showing proper respect to the virus.

Then we can discuss.

There does need to be a discussion of when to reopen it.
April 8th, 2020 at 8:02:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Please give us your plan for reopening the economy while showing proper respect to the virus.

Whatever Dr. Fauci suggests is a good place to start.

I’d listen to the experts. Not the business leaders.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 8th, 2020 at 8:22:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC

Then we can discuss.

There does need to be a discussion of when to reopen it.

Absolutely does. At some point you have to take the risks.
The President is a fink.