What I Ate Today

November 18th, 2021 at 4:33:20 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Stir fry with turnips instead of potatoes, onions green pepper deli ham celery spinach and an egg. I made some of that sauce somebody suggested mixing hot sauce with ketchup and used it on this and it was really good.

Looks good, but I'd be wrapping a tortilla around that action!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 18th, 2021 at 5:17:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
what oil do you use when you stir fry, and what heat setting?

I'm trying to convince my wife to stir fry stuff but she balks due to necessary prep work.

I don't use oil too many calories. I use cooking spray in a quality non-stick pan on medium heat. I do the prep work ahead of time. Cut up the celery and the turnip and the onion and a green pepper store them in the fridge till I'm ready. Makes it seem like less work. I use oregano and marjoram and onion powder and garlic powder and pink salt and ground pepper. Stir fry is very good this went down in no time. I ate the whole plate because the whole thing was only 250 calories and most of that was from the ham and the egg.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 18th, 2021 at 5:22:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mission146

Looks good, but I'd be wrapping a tortilla around that action!

Tortillas have too many calories, not on my diet
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 19th, 2021 at 4:40:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Open-faced chicken sandwich with homemade mushroom gravy. This is my take on the famous Blue Plate Special which was an open-faced turkey sandwich that was served in every Diner every greasy spoon joint in the United States during the Great Depression. It was cheap and fast to make, taste great, and cost about $0.15. The turkey was already sliced the gravy was already made, the homemade bread was ready to go, the cook just slapped it all together you had an American classic. This was so good I wolfed it down like I have not eaten in a week;

November 19th, 2021 at 5:11:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: missedhervee
what oil do you use when you stir fry, and what heat setting?

I'm trying to convince my wife to stir fry stuff but she balks due to necessary prep work.

Actually your wife can find everything she needs for stir fry in the frozen food section. Mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, Chinese vegetables, everything cut up ready for stir fry. Just dump it all into an electric Wok and some olive oil and some soy sauce put a lid on it stir it around once in a while till it's done. One of the easiest things to make.
November 20th, 2021 at 4:46:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Open-faced turkey sandwich with turkey gravy on wheat bread. Talk about iconic.. I cooked the turkey parts in the pressure cooker and strip the meat off of small bones and I'm giving the rest of it to the cats with a bunch of the broth mixed in with their food. Couple of them are meowing outside my office door because they smell the turkey and they what's coming.

November 21st, 2021 at 4:29:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Mushroom stuffing with turkey stirfry covered with turkey gravy. I'm having so much gray because I'm looking for the perfect one to make for Thanksgiving.

November 21st, 2021 at 5:57:02 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
It's hard to tell from your picture, but with 10 being firm and 0 being mush, how would you rate the consistency of your stuffing? Personally, I like to shoot for about a 7.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 21st, 2021 at 11:05:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mission146
It's hard to tell from your picture, but with 10 being firm and 0 being mush, how would you rate the consistency of your stuffing? Personally, I like to shoot for about a 7.

I used homemade croutons and I did not use an egg as the binder like I will on Thanksgiving. Tasted great which is all I care about. I will also use white bread on Thanksgiving and not dark bread like I did here. I'm testing keto thickeners this week specifically xanthan gum and tara gum. I will probably go with a combination of the two. The stuff is fantastic I can make gravy in less than 5 minutes. Heat the seasoned broth in the micro add the thickening agent and hit it for 2 seconds with a stick blender and you have instant smooth silky thick gravy. It's like a magic trick.
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:27:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Third or fourth day in a row of making gravy and I think I got it right. I mixed the two gums together, xanthan gum and tara gum and it's just the right consistency. This is greens on chicken breast. I Jazzed up the greens with onion and garlic powder, onions and mushrooms, and some liquid smoke. I did everything in the microwave which is unusual. First the chicken then the greens and then the gravy. I got to say, it was absolutely wonderful and I will definitely make this again.