Science and Religion

October 25th, 2019 at 10:05:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You are not correct. Faith is not a homonym, these words spelled the same have very different meanings. I disagree that faith is simply based on spiritual apprehensions and not proof. That is more akin to the blind faith that makes you think there is no possibility of God. Faith is trust. It is the assurance your brakes will work without first inspecting them every time you get in the car. They have always worked before and that is the experience upon which you base your reasonable faith in your brakes. It is the same thing with faith in God. Religious faith is no different properly understood than the first and commonly understood definition of faith. Let's together reject the second weak definition of faith from your dictionary as that is not at all the theological understanding of faith, nor the reasonable and common understanding we both have. Tell me why your faith in your brakes is different than my faith in God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 25th, 2019 at 10:58:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
Please tell me what is different between your faith in your brakes based on your experience that they have worked in the past and my faith in God based on my experience that He has worked in the past (and present).

The strong believing and faithful Hindu, Muslim and Christian all believe in brakes if they drive.

Where there is a problem is them all believing each religion is working for them, as there is a real problem with contrary beliefs.

And when Hindu Muslim and Christian all worship in your church, would I ever concede you follow the same beliefs.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 26th, 2019 at 12:11:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Tell me why your faith in your brakes is different than my faith in God.

Here is the NT definition of faith.

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

A Bible scholar breaks it down:

"It means that you should believe things completely even if you have no evidence to support your belief."

My brakes work because they
were designed to do a specific
task. I have a ton of evidence
that they will work. I base my
trust on that evidence. The
faith definition given in your
Bible does not apply to my
brakes.

It does apply to your god and
your religion, no matter how
you try and wiggle out of it.
That's why the definition is
there. Your god is 'hoped
for' and not seen, How by any
stretch would that apply to
my brakes.

Quote:
I disagree that faith is simply based on spiritual apprehensions and not proof.

Of course you do, you want proof
so badly you're obsessed with
it. You've talked yourself into
believing there is actual proof,
when none exists. You know how
flimsy faith is, and you want no
part of the Bible definition.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 26th, 2019 at 1:36:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
You are not correct. Faith is not a homonym, these words spelled the same have very different meanings. I disagree that faith is simply based on spiritual apprehensions and not proof. That is more akin to the blind faith that makes you think there is no possibility of God. Faith is trust. It is the assurance your brakes will work without first inspecting them every time you get in the car. They have always worked before and that is the experience upon which you base your reasonable faith in your brakes. It is the same thing with faith in God. Religious faith is no different properly understood than the first and commonly understood definition of faith. Let's together reject the second weak definition of faith from your dictionary as that is not at all the theological understanding of faith, nor the reasonable and common understanding we both have. Tell me why your faith in your brakes is different than my faith in God.
Haven't worked on cars much have you?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 26th, 2019 at 4:51:29 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
Haven't worked on cars much have you?

Actually they are an interest to me.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 26th, 2019 at 5:01:44 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

My brakes work because they
were designed to do a specific
task.

Let's not get into a debate about intelligent design.

Quote:
have a ton of evidence
that they will work. I base my
trust on that evidence.

By which you mean you have personal experience that brakes have always worked. You might have studied brakes and how they work. Maybe you know the history of brakes and know the science behind how they work. I wonder what would you think of someone who told you that you have no evidence that your brakes work or even told you there is no possibility your brakes even exist?
October 26th, 2019 at 8:52:27 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I think it is time for my invisible, undetectable dinosaur that lives in my backyard to enter this discussion -- if you claim it does not exist, prove it to me
October 26th, 2019 at 8:53:51 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: aceofspades
I think it is time for my invisible, undetectable dinosaur that lives in my backyard to enter this discussion -- if you claim it does not exist, prove it to me

Nobody can prove a negative.

You need to provide the evidence of a claim you make.
October 26th, 2019 at 10:26:02 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I wonder what would you think of someone who told you that you have no evidence that your brakes work

Because you think you have
evidence there is a god. Why
are you holding it back, so
far all you have is hearsay and
your own personal experience,
which means nothing. My
personal experience is, there
is no god. Why is yours worth
more than mine.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 26th, 2019 at 10:53:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Also you can do scientific things to verify a brake in several ways,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?